Min's right: (massive cleavage) Elayne

Elayne's right: (Scar on face) Sammael

Behind Min: (blue jacket) Mat

Mat's left: (dark skin) Julin Sandar

Back left from Julin:(Hair tied back) Faile

Faile's back right: (old guy)Noah (jain)charin

Jain's right: (blue dress) maybe moiraine or nynaeve

moiraine's right: (old guy white mustache) Thom

THom's right: I'm not sure...another forsaken...balthamel...???????

i think they are right, the last guy with the mask im not sure about and im not sure if the woman in the blue dress is moiraine or nynaeve.  I thought moiraine because of the blue dress but with the absebce of Lan I thought they may have left out moiraine as well. Also i thought it was nynaeve because of her absence

what do you think?

Rand's Left: (Dark dress, short black hair) Tuon

Actually i'd say that was Semirhage. Tuon at best had black fuz, but it never got anywhere near the length depicted, whereas Semirhage's hair is described to be that long exactly. The woman also seems too tall to be Tuon.

Tuon's right: Perrin (sans beard)

Looks more like an Aiel to me. Rhuarc perhaps, or Gaul. Perrin has dark black curls, that figure has short-cropped dark red hair. The clothes look Aiel.

Min's right: (massive cleavage) Elayne

Could possibly be Graendal--Graendal's the one thats usually described as having the huge knockers, and the colouring fits her too.

Aviendha's hair wouldn't be that long, i don't think.

Back left from Julin:(Hair tied back) Faile

That one's Nynaeve. I'd bet alot on that.

Faile's back right: (old guy)Noah (jain)charin

Looks too sinister to be Noah. I'd say Fain.

Jain's right: (blue dress) maybe moiraine or nynaeve

Egwene. Nynaeve's hair wouldn't be loose, and Moiraine would have the ki'seira. Beside that dress exactly matches the one she wore to meet with the Andorans.

THom's right: I'm not sure...another forsaken...balthamel...

Maybe. The robes put me in mind of a child. Maybe Asunawa? Was he black?

Actually, they are all Forsaken.  Hence the double portrait, one with Lews Therin set in the AOL, and one with Rand set in the Third Age.  I think that it goes:

(Top to bottom, Left to right)

Balthamel, Bel'al, Lanfear, Aginor

Sammael, Asmodean, Mesaana

Graendal, Moghedien, Rahvin

Ishamael, Demandred, Semirhage

Really? Are you sure?

Huh. With some its a very good job, with others--none of the Forsaken are ever described with a moustache, and Rahvin was white.

I'm guessing that Balthamel has a mask on, which is why he looks black.

How strange.

Really? Are you sure?

Huh. With some its a very good job, with others--none of the Forsaken are ever described with a moustache, and Rahvin was white.

I'm guessing that Balthamel has a mask on, which is why he looks black.

How strange.

Rahvin is a dark skinned man.  See the character list here or encyclopedia-wot.

Balthamel does have a mask on, since it's his Third Age appearance.

I'm positive, since the original page (http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=356) specifically states that this picture and its partner are depictions of the Forsaken, with Lews Therin/Rand being the only difference in cast.  For the most part, I think its reasonably clear which they are, though I am unsure of Moghedien vs. Mesaana.

Yep, definitely the Forsaken lot plus Rand. If you look at 'pictures of the forsaken' on the Gallery dropdown at the top, you'll see where we get that from.

Personally I would say that they are the same as Hybrid listed. Graendal and Mesaana I would say are in the right order because doesnt Graendal have blonde hair? And Lanfear always wears white, so that's the woman on the back row. Moghedien has shoulder length brown hair, and Semi is black. Mesaana isnt quite as I'd pictured her but I dont' doubt that's her.

Rahvin was definitely a dark skinned man, 'with greying temples' if I remember correctly.

Lol, Hybrid, i wasn't actually doubting your word--i was expressing surprise. Badly. Lol.

Hmm, i think i was confused about Rahvin because he was described first as darkly handsome--i had more of an image of the dark eyed pale skinned dark haired dude featured on so many romance novels. But yeah, definately dark skinned.

I'm still confused about Be'lal's moustache--just re-read thats section, definately no mention of a moustache.

Mesaana and Moghedian are easily confusable--by description of colouring they are very similar--though Moghedian was repeatedly described as regal in appearence, and to my mind the woman with the hair ties back seems more regal.

This is sample art from the up and coming WOT graphic novels that are being released later this year, and it is indeed Rand and The Forsaken.   I think Hybrid has hit the nail on the head as far as who's who.  I does seem kind of odd that they stuck Lanfear in the back row, though.

Interestingly RJ never described anybody as being back or white he just as dark skinned of light skinned.  Rhavin was described as being dark skinned and while this could mean a variety of things including, back, hispanic, Indian or just dark complected white, I always pictured him as being black (and for all the PC folks out there I didn't say African American because Rhavin isn't American :))  I always pictured Semirhage, Juilin, Tuon and all the Sea Folk as being black as well though none of them are right out described as such.

I was terribly disappointed in those drawings. Probably more so than the cover art. Was it really necessary for all the women to be so...well-endowed?

I guess it gets boys to read the thing... ::)

I like certain aspects of this drawing while I am rather disappointed with others.

I like the looks of Semirhage, Lanfear, Balthamel, Be'lal, Asmodean and Moghedian

What I don't like is that:

1. Rand looks like Bilbo Baggins from Peter Jackson LOTR movies.

2. Ishameal needs of have actual flames in his eyes and mouth and not just a red aura.

3. Demandred looks too much like a generic white guy.  Where is his bold nose.

4. Graendal looks too much like Pheobe Buffet from "Friends."  How am I supposed to take her seriously as and evil entity looking like that.  I'll be reading the comic expecting here to break into "Smelly Cat" at any moment.

5. Sammael' s look is pretty good but he needs to be shorter.  He doesn't look noticeably shorter than any to the other Forsaken.

6.  Rhavin also looks generic, almost like a black version of Demandred.

7.  Aginor looks more like an old man of about 80 than a very old man of 3000.  In this picture he looks to be only somewhat imaciated while I always pictured him as being at a Crypt Keeper level of decay.

And that's my 2 cents.

I saw the same picture at the Encyclopaedia WoT site.

Like others mentioned, the picture is actually Rand with all of the Forsaken ("New Era" version of them).

The other picture is Lews Therin with their "Age of Legends" version.

The two pictures roughly form a mirror image.

Here are the two pictures::

lews_and_co.jpg

width=316 height=480http://encyclopaedia-wot.org:8008/graphics/rand_and_co.jpg[/img]

Lews Therin is the top picture.  Here is another with them side by side (Lews Therin on left)::

width=581 height=480http://www.dragonmount.com/Gallery/albums/userpics/20504/lews_rand_and_co%7E0.JPG[/img]

Part of the problem with doing this in the first place is that most of the Forsaken are given very little to go on in terms of appearance. I mean, what do we know about Demandred (physically) other than that he's almost as tall as Lews Therin and he's got a "bold" nose? Plus, the entire comic run shouldn't be judged by the various things that were done or not done in one image. Just because Ishamael has glowy eyes in a picture where his eyes are too small to show any detail anyway is not really cause for alarm.

That said, it's not like much effort was put towards making them unique. If we had only gotten the line art for this to look at, there'd be no telling which woman was which. They all have the exact same face. Likewise with the men, although Sammael has the scar and beard to identify him. It worries me that, once the whole thing is in print, we're going to be relying on color cues to tell all the characters apart, as if we were reading TMNT. Calling Mark Bagley.

And really, whose idea was that pipe in Balthamel's hand?

Part of the problem with doing this in the first place is that most of the Forsaken are given very little to go on in terms of appearance. I mean, what do we know about Demandred (physically) other than that he's almost as tall as Lews Therin and he's got a "bold" nose?

Well yes but that's just the point.  Its true that we haven't gotten much as far as a physical description of Demandred but the one feature that IS mentioned almost every time Demandred shows up isn't even present in this image.  I mean if there is one thing we know about Demandred it is that he has a bold nose, yet they don't even bother to give him that in this picture.  Moreover, both Rand and LTT are know for being very tall yet in these pictures they look like friggin' hobbits.  It may just be that angel at which we're seeing them but still when I see an image of Rand or LTT a hobbit is that last thing that should come to mind.

Plus, the entire comic run shouldn't be judged by the various things that were done or not done in one image. Just because Ishamael has glowy eyes in a picture where his eyes are too small to show any detail anyway is not really cause for alarm.

Alarm is a bit of a strong world for this situation, really I was just giving a humorous take on this particular image.  Though if Graendal continues to look like Pheobe Buffet throughout the entire run that is going to bug me. I mean Pheobe is evil, but evil in a completely different way than Graendal.

Yeah, all you're really seeing there is a not-quite-successful attempt at perspective. I'm just saying, don't judge the whole series by what went wrong in this particular picture as a result of how this particular picture was intended (ie, the odd perspective, odd choices by the colorist, etc), but rather gather an idea of what we have to look forward to overall (ie, everybody being freaking identical).

Also, the following things should never again be mentioned by anybody anywhere ever, either separately or in tandem:

Lisa Kudrow

The television series "Friends"

Both are things which are monstrous and horrible beyond human comprehension. The End.

Actually, they are all Forsaken.  Hence the double portrait, one with Lews Therin set in the AOL, and one with Rand set in the Third Age.  I think that it goes:

(Top to bottom, Left to right)

Balthamel, Bel'al, Lanfear, Aginor

Sammael, Asmodean, Mesaana

Graendal, Moghedien, Rahvin

Ishamael, Demandred, Semirhage

I would probably switch Mesaana and Moghedien (which you said you may also) but the rest is spot on. And while i dont remember reading that Bel'al had a mustache i do remember seeing another artist rendition of him and he did have a mustache that curled up on the sides.

I was terribly disappointed in those drawings. Probably more so than the cover art. Was it really necessary for all the women to be so...well-endowed?

I guess it gets boys to read the thing... ::)

Hmm. Based on hybrid's choices. I would say Lanfear and Graendal well endowed (comic book/game level - and too be fair they are pictured a lot more realistic than some game/pictures out there ><, but I do agree I dislike over the top sterotypes like those two, even if RJ had a thing for making women with large breasts). Semirhage I would classify as curvy more than anything (hips/waist/breast ratio), to me it is in perspective with her other curves and if anything I would say she is wearing a courset. Mesaana I would consider as fairly average, and Moghedien as fairly flat chested (but larger than petite). Mainly they are all fit and none are overweight, but I would consider the first two as unrealistic given their size and apparent fitness... although maybe in the AoL they had access to plastic surgury.

It would be a scary revelation for a comic/movie/game etc to use an average weighted people (the obesity level in many countries is ever rising). You just have to take it with a grain of salt that they use models etc. I shudder to think of the aspect media has on both men and women (and yes it goes both ways). Large breasted curvy women are just as unnatural as the muscle bound male heroes that are portayed in game/comics. I agree with switching Mesaana and Mog.

It doesnt really matter, but re' the moghedien/mesaana thing, I'm pretty sure (I dont have the books with me so dont quote me) that in the earlier books, when we first really see Moghedien with Nynaeve / the 11 Black AS, there's a description of her that pretty much matches the shorter-haired woman, in the middle. Indeed it's how I've always seen her.

Re' the figures, Graendal has always been described as 'well endowed', and Lanfear certainly has a good figure.

Semirhage though... this could be just me but I imagine her to be of 'athletic' figure, which often means that hips and bust cease to be. There's a difference between 'slim' and 'lean', and I imagine Semi to be lean.

Thats how I pictured semi as well ><. Really they did a bad job on all of the females. If you just saw the females and we didn't know they were forsaken I would of picked them as the main females on the good side as the first couple posts did.

Center bottom: (with fire sword/whip) Rand, definitely

Rand's right: (Hood and fire eyes) Ishamael

Rand's Left: (Dark dress, short black hair) Tuon Too much hair - probably Semirhage

Tuon's right: Perrin (sans beard) - probably, but man that's a terrible picture

Perrins right: (brown and red dress short hair) Min - maybe, no idea actually

Min's right: (massive cleavage) Elayne - probably, but it ought to be Graendal in that dress!  :o

Elayne's right: (Scar on face) Sammael - definitely!

Behind Min: (blue jacket) Mat - probably, as that lines up the three boys in the center of the shot

Mat's left: (dark skin) Julin Sandar - nope, Rahvin or Taim - notice the white wings in his hair? My money's on Taim.

Back left from Julin:(Hair tied back) Faile - probably, she's got the tilted eyes

Faile's back right: (old guy) Noah (jain) Charin I'm gonna go with Padan Fain instead. White eyes?!?

Jain's right: (blue dress) maybe moiraine or nynaeve - Gonna guess Nynaeve, too tall for Moiraine.

Moiraine's right: (old guy white mustache) Thom

Thom's right: I'm not sure...another forsaken...balthamel...??????? - Probably a terrible rendition of Balthamel (shouldn't have any skin showing, and the mask was leather, not metal)

Well, that's what I get for replying without reading the thread. I'm really disappointed, I thought this was fan art, not the Dabel brothers.  :-\

Archived