DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ogier Gardeners & Steddings?

Snowy Dawn

We know that the Ogier between the Dragonwall and the Aryth Ocean developed the longing for the Stedding during the breaking and cannot remain outside the Stedding for more that a few years. Loial has been outside for five years, with two visits, one to an abandoned Stedding and one to Stedding Tsofu---where he meets Erith---but his mother and Elder Haman are pretty insistent that he has been out too long, and must return to Stedding Shangtai.

Nothing has been said so far, however, about the Ogier from Seachan. Do they have the longing also? Perhaps we will find out in AMOL. It would be interesting if Hartha or one of the others got to go to the Great Stump. I suspect that the Gardeners might be ``corrupted'' pretty quickly if they spent time beneath the great trees. :-) :-)

``presumably because they never lost the Stedding''

Perhaps so, but nothing we know about the breaking says that the Seachan continent was spared, and what little is said about the Ogier during the breaking just says that they lost the Stedding without specifying a continent.

This is one thing about the map in the BWB that intrigues me, BTW: there is a city named Tzura: was this on the site of what had been Tzora? (Described in Rand's experience in the glass columns in Rhuidean as the ``second greatest city in the world'', but listed last in the BWB's recounting of the great cities of the age of legends.]

``It is correct that the Ogier in Seanchan never lost the stedding, simply because there are far more of those there.''

How do we know this? I don't recall any statement either in the main text or in the BWB about steddings in Seanchan. Please direct me to one if there is such to be found.

Do Seanchan Ogier have the Longing?

RJ: The longing is a effect of being separated from the stedding for a long time during the breaking. At the parts that later became the Seanchan empire, there were much more stedding. (through chance) So they were not separated from the stedding for so long.

http://theoryland.yuku.com/topic/9916/t/First-dragon-con-report.html

This is one thing about the map in the BWB that intrigues me, BTW: there is a city named Tzura: was this on the site of what had been Tzora? (Described in Rand's experience in the glass columns in Rhuidean as the ``second greatest city in the world'', but listed last in the BWB's recounting of the great cities of the age of legends.]

Tzora was turned into a lake of glass, which might be enough of an oddity to cause people to build near it.

Archived