DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat's eye

Taishadar

Mat realises that Finn can see through his eyes in KoD. The big hint is in the fact that the memories the finn gave him go all the way up until death many times, and the fact that we know that Mat's memories come from people who went through the Tower of Genjii and met with the Finn. Basically the Finn establish a connection with the person, and continue drawing off their memories until they die.

As for the mythological connection... it has been well tracked, and not just Norse mythology. That being said, RJ is refrencing those myths, not using them to plot his story. Trying to be too specific about the way the myths will influence the story can be somewhat... pointless.

Here is a thought - Mat's memories are not simple the vision of one eye... they are full, with sounds and even feeling and smell. I dont see why the Finns would just use one eye in this instance when they so obviously havn't previously, so i dont think the 'removes his eye to sever the connection' thing is likely. My belief is that Mat will give them his eye as payment for Moiraine.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny you say that Luckers, even with our previous discussion where I was trying to figure out which eye, it occured to me that Mat had the memory of Hawkwing saying something to him right before he died. It hit right then, "If it's just his eye, how did he hear it?"

I'm with you on that one.

With Rand's eye's could it be another side effect of the Balefire/Moridin link ? "the black flecks were gone" sounds like saa.. what if Moridin's over-use of the True Power is affecting Rand in some way ? No ?

Oh well :D just a guess :P

Guest Majsju

Here we go again...

Rand's eyes are suffering from being exposed to bright light. Go out and stare at the sun for a while to see what he means :wink:

It has nothing to do with saa.

Was Only Saying :O But how did you come to that conclusion ? I don't get black flecks from staring at the sun.. and it seems if a fireball the brightness of magnesium came towards me it kind of makes sense to turn away so what made him look right at it ? pfft.

Guest Majsju

If you don't get flecks from staring at the sun there's something odd about your eyes.

The normal thing is that when you're eyes are exposed to bright light, you see purple flecks. The brighter the light, the darker the purple, and something like a fireball exploding just a few decimeters from your face should be so bright that the flecks appear black.

Rand also describes how he's more sensitive to light afterwards, which is another effect of this.

Meanwhile, the saa is describes as floating across the eyes, while Rand's flecks are shimmering. We've never seen if Moridin sees the saa himself, but we know that others see it. Noone in Rand's company see any black flecks in his eyes, not even Nynaeve, who's examining him closesly. Also, saa is supposed to appear when you're holding or channeling TP, but Rand is not holding Saidin when he first notices the black flecks.

Right, gotcha. And i think you are right about that too, unfortunately i dont have my books on me so i can't check.

As for the saa being transferred... the description of the effect doesn't match... and it'd be a bit strange that it manifests directly after Rand stares right at an exploding fireball...

Archived