DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stairway to Heaven (Sharina's intro in the CotL)

Jehaine

Feeling her lack of confidence kick in, she took a deep breath, doing her best not to think about how many times the guards would have seen someone have last doubts before heading up to the entrance of the Fortress. She closed her eyes, almost forcing herself to take a step towards the stairs leading up to the entrance of the Fortress of the Light, but once made it was relatively easy to keep going.

As she walked, she looked around at the other Children of the Light that were busy with one errand or another, almost stumbling as she kept looking at one of them a bit too long. Adjusting the wide-brimmed straw hat she was wearing against the sun, she muttered something about paying attention to herself, before getting up and doing what she came here to do in the first place.

Apparently, the lost look that must have been on her face caused one of the Children to pause for a second, asking what brought her to the Fortress. The man laughed when she started to explain, and pointed her in the direction of the Head Clerk's office.

After a few minutes of walking, backtracking a bit and more walking, she reached what she believed was the office she had been sent to. Tapping her knuckles on the door, she waited for permission to enter, or wait for someone to arrive should there be nobody inside to answer.

IC:

Roudal stared at the apple on his desk. It was red. Well formed. Juicy. And it was there, staring at Roudal like he owed it something. Oh, but it looked positively edible. The mere thought of taking a bite of it made Roudal's mouth water. After all starting the day with a fruit was healthy. Also, it would be something to tell his wife so she'd stop yapping about his eating habits.

But whoever put it there didn't necessarily leave is there out of pure intentions. "You there!" One of his assistants turned. "Eat the apple." The clerk blinked for a moment and then smiled. "Oh, no thanks, sir. I already had breakfast. Thank you for the offer, though." Roudal's face grew dark. "Do I look like someone who'd ask you to do something?". The man paused to consider Roudal's words. "NOW!". The man's eyes widened and he hurriedly walked to Roudal's desk, picked up the apple and took a bite. "Oh my, this apple is delicious. It's been years since I've had such a tasty one." He hurried to take another bite, munching on it gleefully. "Toss it." Roudal's assistant paused.

"But I'm not done ea..."

"NOW!"

The man rolled his eyes, tossed what was left of the apple and returned to his business. Roudal cursed under his breath. He sat down, his expression bleak. "What!?!", he burst out as someone addressed him.

OOC: Tell Roudal a bit about yourself, why you've come and ask to enroll for the CotL :)

Roudal

Head Clerk

Paranoid much? :p

"What!?!"

Well, at least it meant someone was there... Carefully opening the door, Sharina made her way in before closing it behind her. Looking around the room, she saw a man sitting at a desk, and a few others she assumed were his assistants working on some task or another. Either way, Roudal didn't seem all too pleased about something, so she figured she shouldn't be wasting the man's valuable time.

- "Umm... sir? I'm Sharina Val'Danath, a herbalist's daughter from Sienda. A couple of months ago, Bannerman Skane and i got talking about the Children of the Light. Given my age at the time, he told me to consider what he said until i was old enough to join... which i did."

She rocked nervously from one foot to the other, absently brushing away a strand of black hair from her face. She looked at him briefly, trying to spot a reaction that she could in turn take as a hint on whether or not she was supposed to continue.

- "So umm... I recently turned eightteen, and i'd like to join the Children, if i may. To protect the people of the Light from Darkfriends. And stuff."

Listening to teh words coming out of her mouth, she figured now would be a good time to stop before she'd start sounding like an idiot. She was feeling quite nervous about this whole thing, and her having no clue how to behave in front of an officer didn't exactly help much either.

"So umm... I recently turned eighteen, and I'd like to join the Children, if I may. To protect the people of the Light from Darkfriends. And stuff."

Skane. A despicable man. Oh, he was awful! Roudal didn't think highly of him at all. Then again, Roudal didn't think highly of many people. Oh, but he really did deserve Roudal's dislike. That skane loved to cheat in card games. Slip a little card here, peek into other people's cards. He was the lowlife of the lowlife of a really really     low... place. Kind of like a pit but... deep like. An abyss of lowlife, oh yes!

"Ah yes, Skane! Wonderful man. Very fetching." Sharina stared at him. "No, I meant. He's... easy on the eyes...err...No!" Roudal's eyes widened. He was seriously off his game that day. First the apple, now this. "I'm happily married!". The girl raised an eyebrow. "That's... good to know." Get a hold of yourself, old man. You're practically falling apart! Was that a giggle? He shot one of his assistants a thundering glare that put that to rest. At last, something Roudal managed to do right.

"So you want to join? wonderful! let me add you to the enlistees list. Sharina Val'Danath, 18, right? Good!". Roudal scribbled down her name and age hurriedly and asked for her origin. Adding that she was from Amadicia, he closed the book and put on the closest thing he had to a smile. "Head over to Emanuela's office. She's the Quartermaster. I'm sure she'll be ecstatic to see you. I know I get giddy when new comers arrive."

Roudal's eyes widened again. Giddy?!? since when do I use that word. "27 years of marriage. Yes. 2 kids. Whole ones! A boy and a girl. The girl annoys me more often than not". Oh my god, I can't stop! Great, she's staring again. Curses! Roudal cleared his throat. "Erm, you should get going. Emanuella's office hours would be ending soon. Have a fab...erm... good day." Roudal nodded and buried his head in a book, hoping the girl left. So, this is how getting old feels like.

Roudal

Head Clerk

Feeling at a loss of something to say, Sharina patiently waited until the man was done rambling. Judging by the glare he shot at one of his assistants just now, that might just have been the right course of action too. Though he seemed a bit odd, she was never one to judge someone based on his feelings, and so tried giving the man a comforting smile as she told him where she was from.

- "Don't worry about it sir, i'm sure it's perfectly normal." ^^;

Returning the man's goodbye, she gave him a small bow before backing out of the room again, closing the door behind -- okay, in front of -- her. Once satisfied Roudal wouldn't be able to hear her, she took a deep relieved breath, before looking around for the Quartermaster's office. A friendly scribe pointed her in the right direction, and she set a fast pace walking towards her next destination, hoping to still be able to make it on time.

A few minutes later -- she was starting to get a feel for the place already! -- she arrived at a small office, next to a long hallway she assumed were the actual... well, quarters. Peering down the corridor, all the doors looked more or less the same to her, but thankfully a helpful nametag and sign pointed out the one Emanuella was in. Tapping on the door in much the same way she had at the Head Clerk, she waited for permission to enter, hoping she'd still be on time.

IC:

"You are getting old, aren't you?". Emanuella raised an eyebrow, staring at Roudal quite openly. He was being ridiculous again, only this time reaching some very advanced levels. Hell, he had his very own level now. Emanuella had a feeling that his mother would have been proud.

"Think about it. What am I really asking from you here?". Emanuella rolled her eyes. "To talk you up in front of a new recruit!" Emanuella paused for a moment, eyeing Roudal carefully. "You're not planning on cheating on Estel, are you?". Roudal's eyes bulged. "No, woman! I just can't have this girl thinking I'm some sort of... fruity."

Emanuella sighed. Oh, but the man was incorrigible. All men were, in truth, but Roudal took the grand prize. She was just going to lecture the man about mules and stubbornness when a knock was heard on the door. "Is that her?", Emanuella asked, wide eyed.

Roudal looked shifty. "Most probably." Emanuella's eyes narrowed. "If you sent her directly here, how did you get here before her?". Roudal avoided Emanuella's eyes. "I just used a short cut. And I might have... ran a little." Emanuella burst out laughing. "Oh my word, can you actually hear yourself? No, this will not do. Go back to your office, Roudal. You probably have a mountain of work waiting for you. As do I." Roudal wore an expression that resembled a pout all too well and headed towards the door.

"Roudal?". He turned around, eyebrows high with an hopeful expression. "Yes?". Emanuella smiled. "Make yourself useful and let the young woman in on your way out. Thank you." Roudal grunted, opened the door and stepped outside.

OOC: RP your astonishment of Roudal's presence there if you like and step in, hon. :D  Have your character ask questions (if she has some) and I'll post next assigning you a room and giving some general info (as Emanuella of course).

*hugs*

Nyn

CotL

Sharina smiled as the door opened, yet took a step back when she saw who opened it, blinking in surprise at seeing Roudal. She had taken the correct route, hadn't she? Then again, she did have to ask several people, so she just assumed she took a couple of wrong turns or someting. Nodding at Roudal as he passed her, she walked into the office.

- "Umm... Quartermaster? I'm Sharina Val'Danath, from Sienda. I've just enrolled, and i was told by the person who was just in here a moment ago to report to you for a room."

She figured she'd play it safe, naming the woman by her title given that she didn't know what else she was supposed to call her. Though the army was indeed called the Children of the Light, it still seemed somewhat... derogatory to her to call what were now effectively her superior officer a child. Still, mustering her courage, she looked around and asked a couple of questions.

- "Also... What am i supposed to call everyone here? So far i've been winging it, but i want to be sure i don't mess up with the wrong people. Ma'm."

Looking around again, she decided against asking a map of the place. A small tour wouldn't hurt, but she decided against asking, feeling she'd be wasting someone's time if she did. Regardless of what the answer was. She bit her lip nervously as she looked at Emmanuella, trying to guess how she'd respond to her questions.

"Umm... Quartermaster? I'm Sharina Val'Danath, from Sienda. I've just enrolled, and i was told by the person who was just in here a moment ago to report to you for a room. Also... What am i supposed to call everyone here? So far I've been winging it, but i want to be sure i don't mess up with the wrong people. Ma'm."

Emanuella nodded. "The most common way to refer to a superior is with 'sir'. Questioners would require a bowing of the head as well. Soldiers would require a salute. That should cover any formalities with higher ups. Some find it to be silly and unnecessary ceremonial gestures but some take it very seriously. So it's better to follow them by the book, then risk angering an officer. They usually don't play well with others." Emanuella smiled warmly, trying to reassure Sharina.

"The Fortress is going to be your home from now on. And you will fit in wonderfully. The first few days will be the hardest. You need to find yourself within these walls, but I trust you will manage." Emanuella flipped thorough her room assigning book. "Looks like you will be sharing a room with Edalia. She's a sweet girl, I'm sure you'll get along famously. Room number 122."

Emanuella closed the book with a thud. "You will find in the closet five sets of uniform. Take good care of them. They will not be replaced. As for curfews. You have one day of rest and one afternoon off a week, in which you're permitted to leave the fortress. However, at any other time you must remain within the Fortress' grounds. Now, if you have any additional questions, I'll be delighted to answer. But first and foremost. Welcome to the Children of the Light."

Emanuella

Quartermaster

Sharina nodded as she heard the information, giving Emmanuella a warm smile in return for the one she had given her. Room 122... She'd come across it soon enough. The five sets of uniform came a bit as a surprise, though she figured that could've had something to do with why everyone in the Fortress appeared to have a spotlessly clean uniform. As for questions...

- "Umm... Two questions, if i may. How would i recognise a Questioner, and what would i need to do if a uniform needed replacement for any reason? Sir?"

Trying to head out on a good start, Sharina practised her salute as well as the addition of 'sir'. Though it felt somewhat odd to be calling a woman 'sir', she had heard what Emmanuella had said about some officers taking protocol very seriously. She knew she probably was making some minor mistakes with the salute itself, but figured she'd best try and get it straightened out before being reprimanded by another officer for what they'd believe she should have known.

IC:

"Umm... Two questions, if I may. How would I recognize a Questioner, and what would I need to do if a uniform needed replacement for any reason? Sir?"

"You will know all of their faces, ultimately. In general, though, the military officials wear insignia. It's hard to miss. The questioners, on the other hand, seldom use the appointed insignia. However, you can distinguish them quite easily. Added to the sunburst icon on their cloaks as the rest of the Children, they have a red shepherd's crook behind it. Impossible to miss." Emanuella smiled warmly. Sharine will soon learn the politics of the Fortress.

"As for exchanging or mending uniforms, that goes through me. If there is a good reason for it, I'll have it fixed or replaced myself. If the reason is not suffice, a recruit will be required to do kitchen chores until his or hers debt is paid. Material isn't cheap nowadays." Emanuella got up from her seat and paced around the room. "If there is any problem with your accommodation, feel free to approach me. I hope you adjust quickly. Life here can seem hectic at times, but you get used to it. Best of luck, Sharine."

OOC:

The entry is officially done. Way to go, hon :)

If you want to continue it with more questions, go ahead. But I consider this requirement complete.

Emanuella

Quartermaster

• 2 years later...