DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I've always thought this.....

Igrift

Hey, I can't seem to find if this has been brought up or not, anyways..

I've alsways firgured ever since TGH that Rand will finish the Dark One off by "Sheathing the Sword"  He hasn't done it yet, obviously, since he's still alive,  and well when Lan told Rand about it, you could just tell it will be important later on.  I guess the question is, if that does happend, did RJ has the guts to kill Rand off?  Personally I don't think so, The story so far is like, what? 9000+ pages?  He's had all that time to kill main characters off, but nope, every one lives still, like its a cable TV show.  (I don't think Moraine counts, she'll be back)

Don't get me wrong, I love these books, and I love the characters, but a major death would evoke a lot of emotion, at least for me, and just cement my love of these novels even more.  I just think if someone died early on, it would give you  a lot of time to toil over it, and be thinking about it for the rest of the series, making you realize all the much more how much you loved these characters.  I guess I just love tragedy and death.  heh.

Also, on a side note....What if the end of AMOL, it ends with Loial reading to his kids of someone, as if this whole time, we've just been listening to a telling of his Book thats he's been taking notes on through out the series.

*sorry no time for spell check, im at work, and here comes my boss, lol*

No, I can't remeber what form he used, but its the one that Masema, or was is Ishtar? lol, anyways, its the form that one of them said he shoudlnt use, cause it leaves him wide open.  Lan made him always use it during warm up, and Ishtar said, don't do that cause you'll get used to it.

That's Ingtar, not Ishtar. ;)

When Rand faces Ishammael during the battle of Falme at the end of TGH he "sheathes the sword" or in this case the staff of Ishy and then sinks his sword into Ishy's heart.  So yes it's been done already, and that's how Rand got that unhealable wound in his side.

That's Ingtar, not Ishtar. ;)

When Rand faces Ishammael during the battle of Falme at the end of TGH he "sheathes the sword" or in this case the staff of Ishy and then sinks his sword into Ishy's heart.  So yes it's been done already, and that's how Rand got that unhealable wound in his side.

Aha, so i'm not going mad! Thannks for looking it up for me  :)

Guest Dreadlord

Sheathing the sword would work if the dark one transubstanciates. Other than that his sword is useless

UNQUOTE

What is that supposed to mean? I hate it when people use big wods lik transmogrify and all that bollocks, say it properly, I dont keep my dictionary with me

I think he means that sheathing the sword would only be useful if the DO took on a different form (trans - cross, substantiate - substance) which could be killed by a sword.

I think the theory here is that it's unlikely the DO would be stupid enough to come bakc into the waking world and take a body that could be killed by steel, its more likely the power alone would be able to kill him, unless he changed forms or, like Sammael etc, took on a mortal body (transubstantiated from his natural form).

What is that supposed to mean? I hate it when people use big wods lik transmogrify and all that bollocks, say it properly, I dont keep my dictionary with me

Actually I did say it properly. Granted the spelling is proly off but hey what can you do. Trakand explained it pretty well. When an ethreal(sp) being becomes human it is transubstanciation. Obviously I did NOT get an A in spelling. Well I did but I cant spell anymore...perhaps the maddness? Anywho, what I was trying to say was Rand cannot sheate the sword against the DO. Its not possible.

I appreciate that we know nothing of the day-to-day things of the wider Randland before our story starts; we know only what we have been told, and not in the detail which we know of the last couple of years. But it seems to me that the darkfriend activity has been growing massively. Agreed, we are embroiled with those characters at the very heart of the action, so it is more emphasised than if we were reading about a farmhand in deepest darkest Amador, but I still think that the activity since the beginning of book 1 to (where i am now) the beginning of book 9 has increased.

This is to be expected, you might say, the DO is breaking loose, TG is coming.

But what if by swearing your soul to the DO, you become 'linked' to him, a little like Myrdraal and Trollocs can be. What if the rise in activity, the creation of 'super-darkfriends' like Taim, Padan Fain etc is directly linked to the growing strength of the DO...

Is it possible that if / when Rand kills the DO at TG, the darkfriends will die with him?

Guest Dreadlord

That would be the cheesiest ending ever, EVER, if all the darkfriends died when Shaitan does. I doubt it would happen like that. There must be some sort of mark on them because Fain can tell if someone is a darkfriend on sight. Heck, he can tell if someone has THOUGHT of becoming a darkfriend. But if all DFs die when/IF shaitan does i will be gutted.

The super darkfriends were not created i dont think. At least I dot think Taim and Fain were. Fain was "altered" to become a hound to find Rand, but that wasnt anywhere near the Last Battle or the rise in activity.

Archived