DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Points for yous!

HotW Moiraine

Yes, that is right, Moir giving points! 15 in fact!

*gasps*

All you have to do is solve this simple thought problem I need ya'll to run.

Let's say you have a small wooden block.

I want you to tell me how you would find the mass of this object without actually 'massing' it. That means no scales, balances, etc.

Shoot.

Use your magic machine to convert your block to pure energy. Since your machine is magic, it can measure the amount of energy 'created'. Apply e=mc^2 to find mass.

What? Magic doesn't count?

I presume I can't use a force meter, or I could just measure the weight against a known acceleration. :(

Or you can make like Cavendish and measure mass with a torsion balance for kicks and giggles, but that's excessive. EXCESSIVE.

The remarkable observation that all free falling objects fall with the same acceleration was first proposed by Galileo, nearly 400 years ago. Galileo conducted experiments using a ball on an inclined plane to determine the relationship between the time and distance traveled. He found that the distance depended on the square of the time and that the velocity increased as the ball moved down the incline. The relationship was the same regardless of the mass of the ball used in the experiment.

I can think of two ways that can give a decent approximation.  But I hate points, so lets not mention them.

(psst....if someone likes points, they may wanna mention a simple experiment where you send the block of wood of an unknown mass at a known acceleration...hitting it against another object with a known mass.  You do this on a frictionless plane (or near frictionless) and measure the acceleration from the object of known mass.  Then using the equation that m(wood)a(wood)~=m(known)a(known) you have it.)

(Or....you can take a similar sample of the wood with a known mass and put it in a calarimitor.  (fine, my spelling is way off on this, but I don't care.  It is still early for me.)  Once you can see how much energy is given off, you then stick your unknown block of wood in and measure the energy.  By the equation (energy of unknown)/(energy of known) *(mass of known) you get (mass of unknown))

May be more creative ways, but I've been awake for 20 minutes.  Not even had caffeine yet.

Archived