DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

November 2nd, PS3 Price Cut.

SinisterDeath

• Community Administrator

It was recently confirmed, that Sony will be releasing the 40GB PS3 model in the United States on November 2nd, for only $399, and the 80GB model is getting a $100 price cut, making it $499.99. So expect Microsoft to announce a price cut within the next month. :P

That said, the 80GB ps3 is exactly the same as the 60GB model, except it comes bundled with the game Motor Storm.

The 40GB model however comes with only 2 USB ports, and lacks the other 'card readers' like the SD-SC card reader. It is also rumored/confirmed that it lacks backwards compatability (That being the Chip that they took out to reduce its cost.) However we still don't have any word or not if they are going to be using Software Emulation like the models in Europe, hopefully they do but not that it matters if you still holding on to your ol' ps2, and if you don't have one, chances are, you don't have any psx/ps2 games anyways.  ;)

http://www.psu.com/40GB-PS3-confirmed-for-US-release-this-November-News--a0001565-p0.php

http://digg.com/playstation_3/Confirmed_40GB_PS3_hits_U_S_Nov_2nd_for_400_80GB_gets_100_Price_Drop

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a step in the right direction... but before I even consider buying a system I need a good group of games to play and the online service to work. 

Who told you the online service doesn't work?

Same people who told you that you can't " share or rent ps3 games becuase the ps3 changes the disk so only your ps3 can play it?" ? (that was a very common misconseption btw.)

I had read the Home service would not be available until next year.

Aww home, well that is different then the Ps Network, two different things that are soon going to be 'intergrated'. You can still recieve updates to the console, demos, vidoes, the whole works for free...

Also everyone who owns a ps3 IS supposed to get into the Home Beta, that is supposed to come out anywhere between today and december. It won't be 'officially released' until next year. And home is nothing more then a glorified 3d chat room. Kinda like wow, or EQ. :P

The 40GB model however comes with only 2 USB ports, and lacks the other 'card readers' like the SD-SC card reader. It is also rumored/confirmed that it lacks backwards compatability (That being the Chip that they took out to reduce its cost.) However we still don't have any word or not if they are going to be using Software Emulation like the models in Europe, hopefully they do

My understanding is that even the European models of the 40 Gig unit will not have backwards compatability.

but not that it matters if you still holding on to your ol' ps2, and if you don't have one, chances are, you don't have any psx/ps2 games anyways.  ;)

On the contrary, the fact that I don't have a PS2 is the biggest reason why the PS3(with BW compatablity) is far more attractive to me than the Xbox 360, because it would open up a much larger library of games for me to play.  Then I could go back and buy games that weren't available on the GameCube.  It would be like getting two new consoles in one.

Quite frankly, if the only PS3's Sony makes affordable are ones without BW compatability, I won't be getting a PS3. 

The 40GB model however comes with only 2 USB ports, and lacks the other 'card readers' like the SD-SC card reader. It is also rumored/confirmed that it lacks backwards compatability (That being the Chip that they took out to reduce its cost.) However we still don't have any word or not if they are going to be using Software Emulation like the models in Europe, hopefully they do

My understanding is that even the European models of the 40 Gig unit will not have backwards compatability.

but not that it matters if you still holding on to your ol' ps2, and if you don't have one, chances are, you don't have any psx/ps2 games anyways.  ;)

On the contrary, the fact that I don't have a PS2 is the biggest reason why the PS3(with BW compatablity) is far more attractive to me than the Xbox 360, because it would open up a much larger library of games for me to play.  Then I could go back and buy games that weren't available on the GameCube.  It would be like getting two new consoles in one.

Quite frankly, if the only PS3's Sony makes affordable are ones without BW compatability, I won't be getting a PS3. 

Like I said though, there is that possibility of Software Emulation, which is supposed to work on all ps3s, why this one doesn't have any BC doesn't make sense.

Either way, the other 3 versions of the ps3, are backwards compatable, so it still has a larger library then that of the 360. :P

Like I said though, there is that possibility of Software Emulation, which is supposed to work on all ps3s, why this one doesn't have any BC doesn't make sense.

Either way, the other 3 versions of the ps3, are backwards compatable, so it still has a larger library then that of the 360. :P

The way I understand it, the 60 GB US model will be the last model with hardware emulation, when supplies run out they are gone as they have been discontinued.  After that you will have the 80 GB model with software emu, and 40 GB model that does not have BC (in the US or Europe).

The only reason most people can come up with is they just want to make less expensive version less appetizing than the pricey one, since it is hard to believe it would cost them much to add the software to the 40 GB versions.  It's also speculated that it is an attempt to increase PS3 software sales.

Bottom line, that would make it one of the cheapest Blue Ray players out there right now.  I own a Wii and an X-Box 360 and frankly I think it's too late for this generation of consoles - Sony is now third and if Nintendo finally gets serious about third party support I don't think they'll ever catch up until the next generation of consoles rolls around in about 4 years.

The way I understand it, the 60 GB US model will be the last model with hardware emulation, when supplies run out they are gone as they have been discontinued.  After that you will have the 80 GB model with software emu, and 40 GB model that does not have BC (in the US or Europe).

The only reason most people can come up with is they just want to make less expensive version less appetizing than the pricey one, since it is hard to believe it would cost them much to add the software to the 40 GB versions.  It's also speculated that it is an attempt to increase PS3 software sales.

Thats just the thing though, its software, all you do is install it. You would think inorde to allow it to be BC, all you would have to do is download/install it.

Perhaps all it means is it doesn't come with that software pre-installed? My brother was saying for the 80gb model, you have to download the emulator on the playstation store, perhaps the 40gb is the same? I don't know WHY it would not be able to not use BC software Emulation, it shouldn't require a chip at all...

Leave it to Sony to over do proprietary hardware courtesy of the Emotion Engine or the Cell infrastructure.  Really though the only company thats 'excelled' in this area is nintendo, and really that's only because the wii is a suped up gamecube.

In either case the Sony price drop was actually a response to the Xbox Arcade, and the Pro/Premium and Elite units shipping with Forza and Marvel Alliance.

So basically you have the choice of an Xbox 360 with 90$ worth of games at 350, or the PS3 at  399.

Also, the Xbox 360 has a backwards compatability of something like 275 games. Most of which are crap, just like the PS2 library.  In either case, or both cases, this is Next-Gen era, I don't care if the whole library is back-compatible or not, only a few games that have come out in the last 2 years are even worth thinking about.

I have cast my lot in with the 360, and am well pleased by it, especially xbox live, and the marketplace(Thanks again Empy ;) watch out for my wife though she may be gunning for you).  I'm sorry but the PS3's online service is crippled compared to the Xbox's and until Home debuts there isn't going to be any big movement in that regard.

I want to make it clear that I'm not an Xbox fanboy, nor a PS3 hater.  They each have their strongpoints and weakpoints. IMO, the MSFT system's (oh how I feel dirty) strengths out weigh the PS3's strengths.  Especially because my monstrous yet older TV isn't HD compatible, so having a Blu-ray player means squat to me.  Not to mention my strong suspitions that there is an upcoming SKU for a Blu-ray xbox drive.  I will admit to being biased against the wii though, because really, I got tired of playing the same 3 games that had NO replay value for 6 months.  And really was it necessary to push back SSBB for a freaking YEAR AND A HALF?!?  Yes thats right SSBB was supposed to be the flagshihp launch title and was placed into the video game equivalent of development hell, AND THERES STILL NO definitive WORD ON ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!!![/rant]

And yes, we should plan a 360 night, I'll be free late saturday night, say after 9pm or so.  Or tomorrow night after 8pm or so Mountain time.

I want to make it clear that I'm not an Xbox fanboy, nor a PS3 hater.  They each have their strongpoints and weakpoints. IMO, the MSFT system's (oh how I feel dirty) strengths out weigh the PS3's strengths.  Especially because my monstrous yet older TV isn't HD compatible, so having a Blu-ray player means squat to me.  Not to mention my strong suspitions that there is an upcoming SKU for a Blu-ray xbox drive.  I will admit to being biased against the wii though, because really, I got tired of playing the same 3 games that had NO replay value for 6 months.  And really was it necessary to push back SSBB for a freaking YEAR AND A HALF?!?  Yes thats right SSBB was supposed to be the flagshihp launch title and was placed into the video game equivalent of development hell, AND THERES STILL NO definitive WORD ON ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!!![/rant]

And yes, we should plan a 360 night, I'll be free late saturday night, say after 9pm or so.  Or tomorrow night after 8pm or so Mountain time.

The online is not 'crap' but it doens't fully compare to 360. 360 has had years to develop Xbox live, the PSN hasn't been around for nearly the lenght of time as Xbox live! And since it IS free, you can't expect something that is as flushed out as Xbox Live. (Its like Comparing Guild wars to WoW, Sure WoW has some awesome content updates every month or 3, Excelent server maintance, but Guild Wars you get all the fun of a free online play with little patching and 'updates' in the form of expansions. Its not a perfect example but it is a similar concept.)

That said, both Xbox live offers 'Free' Demos, Trailers, And of course 'arcade' style games you buy. PS3 has 'arcade games' and some PS1 titles on it. But remember, Xbox Live has been around for what, 3 years? And PSN for barely 1? Ask your self, how 'awesome' was Xbox live when it first came out? Yea...

The PSN and the Nintendo 'store' are at about the same level of 'content' though the ps3 from what i've seen, has far more games and free content then the Wii's online 'store'.

Now Xbox live! does have achievments, its not a 'bad' system so to speak, Its always nice to have a ranking, but not all of us care about that. If anything, I care about my rank within a specific game, not across all games. RFOM, for instance, I can check my rank of all RFOM players, Warhawk is the same way, I can check my KDR, head shots, all that fun stuff, And all the servers are free, The best part? They don't have player made servers so to speak. Look at the game Darkness for instance, You hit 'play online' enter a few 'game styles', and it auto matches you and 6 others players across a shared network, You aren't on a server your basically playing the game on your console... Now RFOM and Warhawk, and Team Fortress 2 use the 'better' 'pc' method. That being you get houndreds upon thousands of people who set up servers for that game, with a great connection, and people join it. AKA Dedicated Servers. These servers pwn the other type, I don't care what game you are playing if it has a dedicated server, it beats the pants off of 'player servers'.

Home isn't a substitute for Xbox live, it still won't contend with it. All Home is, is simply a method of 'creating' "You" in Home, walk around and 'socialize' in a 3d setting rather then in a 'chat room'. Its basically where you and your friends from around the country can meet before you play a game. Or 'design' your own 'house/space' that includes "Trophies" that, well think Team Fortress 2 'achievements', and getting a '3d' cake. Its just one way to show to your friends "see, I wasn't lieing when I said I scored 300 head shots with no deaths!"...

Now the Only way Home will beat xbox live is if they put 'trophies' for every PSX/PS2/PS3 game ever made onto there database, Then we'd be talking about awesomeness. :P

I'm still waiting for confirmation of various other sources if the 40gb truelly isn't BC, as this move does NOT seem like something Sony would do, they have maintained the BC because thats what made the PS2 win last gens war. Nintendo knows this as well as Sony, Specically with the Gameboy's. Why they stopped there 'consoles' and backwards compatability is still unclear, but I guess it has to do with them 'trying' to allow you to 'rebuy' your old nintendo games on there 'store', guess which ever makes the better proffit...

/hugs his 60gb ps3.

You know, if you can still find a 20gb ps3, you do have BC, with out a few other 'handy functions', but most of those are pointless...

But hey, can you replace your hard drive in your 360 with any standard notebook hard drive like you can with a ps3?

Didn't think so.

Can you install Linux on it?

Didn't think so. :P

I got it right from the horses mouth.

In addition to the larger HDD capacity, the 80 GB model will include the PLAYSTATION 3 exclusive game, MotorStorm™.  Also, it will focus more on offering the incredible graphic quality, stunning gameplay, improved audio and visual fidelity that PS3 games have been known for by maintaining the PS2 backwards compatibility through software instead of hardware. The new 40GB model will also be packaged with the Spider-Man™3 movie on Blu-ray Disc. The 40GB model does not have PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility, although does maintain backwards compatibility for original PlayStation titles.  

So it is Still backwards compatable with at least psx games, so its not a TOTAL loss, but I still don't see 'why' it can't play ps2 games but the 80gb can, as they are BOTH using software emulation... Hmm must be an 'incentive' to get a 'free ps2'...

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/faq

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/TechnicalSpecifications

No need to speculate about the reasoning behind it, even.

According to the WSJ: "Mr. Tretton conceded that removing that capability [backwards compatibility], along with a few other features, isn't dramatically reducing Sony's cost of manufacturing the console but will instead encourage buyers of the entry-level PlayStation 3 to purchase more games designed specifically for the new system."

http://gamernode.com/News/4697-The-real-reason-for-no-BC-on-the-40GB-PS3/index.html

Its still an odd agenda for Sony, removing BC is not going to encourage people to buy more PS3 games, I think they may have a few 'idiots' in there R&D. :P

Anyways, since it IS software emulation, there is no doubt in my mind that if things change, they Could offer software based emulation like that in the 80GB, but probably not till ps3's start selling like candy when MSG4 and FF13 come out. :P

Linux and a hacked HD run just fine on Xbox 360.  Granted its not as simple to do.  I've also tweaked my xbox to allow it to access my stand alone USB 500GB HD, something you can also do with the PS3, assuming you are running linux.  (I haven't hacked my 360's hardware, nor flashed the EEPROM, because of rumors that they have begun blocking sets from Live.)

Sin, I know Home and Live don't directly compare, and offers different services.  IMO the Live service offers features more gamers appreciate and the numbers of subscriptions show that there is a HUGE market for it.  Realistically, if you can shell out 400 for a console and a game, there's no reason you can forgo the cost of a game a year to have a wildly expanded service that offers things like TruSkill, marketplace, excellent VOIP like service with your friends list, Video conferencing, video mail, voice mail, multiplayer games, streaming(or downloadable) HD video, upcoming game demos, console to computer competition, streaming media from your computer,  and will run your MSN messenger.  Heck some of those features are even available for free.

I'm not knocking PS3, or PSN, but you have to admit that Live (mostly due to the fact that it's gold level is paid) is far superior to PSN.  I mean with better than 7.1 million users, MSFT is giving gamers what they want.  PSN is younger and has something like 1.6 million users.  Yeah, they have some catching up to do, but Home is absolutely a step in the right direction. 

Also, SD its not their R&D that makes that decision, that would be Marketing. :D  And every Marketing dept is chock full of idiots. ;)  I thought FFXIII's localization phase fell into a bit of snafu, when is it due?

Linux and a hacked HD run just fine on Xbox 360.  Granted its not as simple to do.  I've also tweaked my xbox to allow it to access my stand alone USB 500GB HD, something you can also do with the PS3, assuming you are running linux.  (I haven't hacked my 360's hardware, nor flashed the EEPROM, because of rumors that they have begun blocking sets from Live.)

Sin, I know Home and Live don't directly compare, and offers different services.  IMO the Live service offers features more gamers appreciate and the numbers of subscriptions show that there is a HUGE market for it.  Realistically, if you can shell out 400 for a console and a game, there's no reason you can forgo the cost of a game a year to have a wildly expanded service that offers things like TruSkill, marketplace, excellent VOIP like service with your friends list, Video conferencing, video mail, voice mail, multiplayer games, streaming(or downloadable) HD video, upcoming game demos, console to computer competition, streaming media from your computer,  and will run your MSN messenger.  Heck some of those features are even available for free.

I'm not knocking PS3, or PSN, but you have to admit that Live (mostly due to the fact that it's gold level is paid) is far superior to PSN.  I mean with better than 7.1 million users, MSFT is giving gamers what they want.  PSN is younger and has something like 1.6 million users.  Yeah, they have some catching up to do, but Home is absolutely a step in the right direction. 

Also, SD its not their R&D that makes that decision, that would be Marketing. :D  And every Marketing dept is chock full of idiots. ;)  I thought FFXIII's localization phase fell into a bit of snafu, when is it due?

Actually you can use a USB extenral hard drive on a ps3 with out linux. :P

I 'could' use MSN messenger on ps3 (not in games yet) except for the fact that msn = owned by microsoft, so anything microsoft = blocked to ps3. Its true, I can't access my hotmail from my PS3 internet browser, damned M$ for blocking it. :P

As for 'how' i'd be able to access my other messenger services? You can do it on the Wii, to all it takes is a browser based versoin of Trillian. :P

So far ingame chat/friendlists/messeages/ect aren't in the ps3 yet, They were 'supposed to be' but its a feature we will see in the near future, possibly with the upgrade to 2.0... but thats almost another story.

I thought FFXIII's localization phase fell into a bit of snafu, when is it due?

Localization Snafu? If your thinking that FFXIII is going to 360 that was a rumor that got stomped on by a fat kid who just got told he couldn't have pie.

Its due date is expected something like fall 08', but we can only hope its not fall 09'. :( The games been in development almost since FXII was half way done or less... And all they have so far is basically completed the engine making some gameplay grahpics that are CG worthy, and any real game seems like they haven't even gotten the first hour of the game finished yet...

MSG4 on the other hand, We could probably see that as early as spring/summer 08', or as late as Fall 08' Its sad that some of these great games are taking so damned long to get finished, but if FXIII and MSG4 were launch titles, you konw you'd own a ps3 instead of an xbox. :P

Localization in game development (and just about any software development) is the process where international teams all get on the same page.  For obvious reasons this is most common and important in games which are co-designed for US and Japanese markets.  Because of delays that commonly happen in localization a new development model called 'scrumming' is becoming popular.

I heard this process went a bit wonky at square enix or whatever their current incarnation is, and because of that we may see two versions of the same game, or the release was going to be heavily delayed.

I liked MGS4, but not enough to buy a console for, and FFXIII would have been enough to tip the tides for me, if they had released it about 3 months ago, and I had heard first hand reports on it.  I liked VII, hated with a passion VIII and IX, X and X-2 were ok but not great, and XII finally recovered the name.

The deal breaker is that Sony doesn't have the features I want, yet.  I am a gamer and waiting to me is like flying to a fish(thanks Verin).  I'll take the lesser longevity of the Xbox for the instant gratification of having Empy jump into my Gears of War campaign, or video conferencing with my cousin who is on the other side of the states right now.

The idea of multitasking voice chat, or text chat into a game is gold, and even executed well by MSFT.  I don't want to have to quit the game or run across the room to check my IM's.  Sony sees MSTF's success with Live and Home is the first incarnation of offering a similar service.  The markets have spoken and for good or ill, Mr. Gates console team have actually given their customers what they want.  Now if only his OS dev team could do the same. [/smirk]

No one's perfect. ;) 

The orginal PS2 had a failure rate of something like 5-10% maybe higher, but no where near the 360's. And Sony never recalled the old ps2s. They learned from that mistake.

How many times has microsoft created a new OS with more problems then the old one did? I don't think they've learned from their mistakes to well. :P

Oh puh-lease, the initial PS2 release had a failure rate of closer to 70-80% at 6 months.  Kotaku should have an article on it, I can post it if you like.  I don't remember Sony extending their warranties to 4 years either...  *crickets chirp*

MSFT has had a few revisions each trying to solve the red rings issues, and to be totally honest, I think that heat was the main issue.  You'll hear about the 65nm cores(which I have) and yeah they are cooler, but that was a cost issue. 

The real catch is that the X360 when it fails, it fails fatally.  The PS3 fails very frequently, but because of the cell archetecture, it just looses performance instead of 'dying'.  I've read white sheets that suggest something like 85% of PS3's have 6 of the 8 co-processors functioning.  Sony admits to having 7 of 8 running and claims "it was designed to only have 7 of 8 running to improve yield". 

The point is that they are both new hardware and very heavily customized.  That means manufacturing flaws, heck even the underpowered Wii had hardware failure problems with its GPU.

Oh puh-lease, the initial PS2 release had a failure rate of closer to 70-80% at 6 months.  Kotaku should have an article on it, I can post it if you like.   I don't remember Sony extending their warranties to 4 years either...  *crickets chirp*

MSFT has had a few revisions each trying to solve the red rings issues, and to be totally honest, I think that heat was the main issue.  You'll hear about the 65nm cores(which I have) and yeah they are cooler, but that was a cost issue. 

The real catch is that the X360 when it fails, it fails fatally.  The PS3 fails very frequently, but because of the cell archetecture, it just looses performance instead of 'dying'.  I've read white sheets that suggest something like 85% of PS3's have 6 of the 8 co-processors functioning.  Sony admits to having 7 of 8 running and claims "it was designed to only have 7 of 8 running to improve yield". 

The point is that they are both new hardware and very heavily customized.  That means manufacturing flaws, heck even the underpowered Wii had hardware failure problems with its GPU.

90% of all statistics are made up on the spot,

I still have a working orginal release ps2.

Anyways, the PS3 has 8 cores, all of them are working, 2 are locked, 1 is specifically used for the PS3 UI "you konw the menu you can acess from any game to shut the system/game down, ect." The other is locked for some other process, and the other 6 are used for games. They aren't malfuctioning...

Kotaku isn't exactly the 'best and most accurate site on the internet'.

Also, the ps3 and wii have statistically a 1% failure rate, where industry standard for electrnoics is 3%.  So, I'm pretty usre that '85%' is false, or made up statstics made by some xbot fanboi. :P

Archived