• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked The Shadow Rising (closely followed by Knife of Dreams).

[spoilerS]

This is because there are a variety of main plots that demonstrate each of the characters at their best. Moiraine is enigmatic, Mat refuses to conform (but ends up conforming to fate anyway), Perrin becomes Lord Golden Eyes and Nynaeve tugs her braid a lot :) It's also at a point before Rand becomes too "hard" and each character retains a little innocence. Oh yeah, Lanfear and Asmodean are brilliant characters and play a full role, even if you don't appreciate this until afterwards.

TSR is when everything really starts to get complicated and Jordan really starts to show his stuff.  He breaks it up into 3(!) storylines that don't end up together at the end, and each has its own climax at the end.  Plus we get Perrin finding his family dead, Nynaeve duking it out with Moghedien, and the Bore drilled into the Dark One's prison.  Very epic, very satisfying.  (Why Bayle and Thom don't recognize each other in Tanchico though, I have no idea--but that's just a minor detail.)

KoD most definitely, because A it puts in a intence plot twist (rand with no hand :P) B. we see a ending to a episode that lasted 3 books (perrin finally rescuing Faile Bought darn time) and C it sets up for the next volume in finally marrying Tuon and Mat making Mat the prince of ravens (though what that means is still unclear) This has got to build a huge stepping stone for events of the Seanchan side of the story. what twists are going to happen because of it? nobody knows! we all have to wait for memory of light.

i like the part with perrin but i want him to lose himself to the wolves and become all powerful and become the master of all the wolves in the world and stuff. I like all of the books but i like crossroads of twilight because it deals with Mat and Tuon and i love how they always throw conversations back and forth.

I definitely enjoy the Mat-Tuon conversations more than in any of the other "relationship" couplings.  He’s likeable and she’s completely alien (even to us), and yet they have this who “we have to toss the dice and accept fate” thing because really that’s what he’s all about and how she really is, too (we discover).  That and they have to really get through some tough opposition at the same time, too.  For that reason alone I’d say KoD is the best of the later books.  But Perrin really shines in TSR (and Faile, I’ll admit) and I like him almost as much as Mat.

Archived