DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Computer question

Taim4naeblis

I was burning some videos from my HD to a CD-RW when my laptop started making a high pitched screaming sound, and there was the smell of burning from the CD-ROM drive. I managed to cancel, and eventually (after a lot of protest) the trey openned and I got the disk out.

I'm now frightenned to put anything into it because of the smell. I don't want my laptop setting fire!

Can anyone give any advise as to what to do about this, or what might have caused the problem?

Cheers :D

Seriously though, did the CD burn successfully Taimy? If it's just a noise and smell, but the burner is still working, it could be another component inside the laptop.

One way to tell for sure is to replace the burner and see if that eliminates both the smell and noise. You got any kind of warranty or tech support you can call? Anything to get your hands on a replacement drive either by exchange/RMA/or purchasing a new one. Or, if all else fails, grab an external USB burner...although I've noticed that they're really rather crappy.

It could be another component inside the laptop, I never actually thought of that possibility, I admit. But I doubt it. Either way, the only way for her to tell is if she takes it to a tech store.

I don't know, I haven't dared try that CD yet :P I'll try it on a uni comp first.

My laptop's under a garantee thing, which means I can't just take it to a store. I've gotta phone up the garantee people, who'll then take it away(:cry:) for repair if there's something wrong. And where usually it wouldn't matter, I've just hit coursework hand-in and exam revision time, so having the comp taken away from me isn't an option.

got money to buy a 1GB USB flash/thumb drive? They're pretty inexpensive compared to their cost a year ago (doesn't necessarily mean they're cheap), and they hold more than a CD. And they're kewl.

yeah they are cool indeed. I know someone that modified one to fit inside a pez dispenser - using the head as the cover and all.

Hmm, forgot which character tho :?

Archived