DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Proposed Weave

Kalthandrix

Hello all-

I wanted to post some proposed weaves I had been thinking about for a while now and see if there was a way they would be available for RPing with.

Here we go-

Look Away- Low level blanket of Compulsion. The weave is set up to briefly touch the minds of those in an area and have something else catch their attention, have them look at something else, or focus intently on what they are doing- allowing the channeler to walk among then without their minds registering that they have seen them.

Requirements- Air 3, Earth 3, Fire 3, Spirit 5, Water 3 Skill 17.

Stone Strike- A bar made of many tightly woven strands of Earth and Spirit lances out and strikes an opponent and leaving them completely immobilized (similar to wrapping someone in Air). Its effects wear off after a time, but this weave has the benefit of not having to be maintained or tied off.

Requirements- Air 2, Earth 5, Spirit 5, Skill 15.

Fire Vortex- This intricately woven cone-shaped weave uses a great amount of Fire and a few strands of Air to create of a cone of swirling flames that can incinerate men in a few short moments and melt stone.

Requirements- Fire 10, Air 5, Skill 26.

Well, if I'd had time when I was writing it the first post, I would have explained more fully. :P

The first one is a no-go, even though it sounds very interesting, because anything related to Compulsion or Milking Tears is a Talent, not a weave for the general population. I would be just fine with someone who holds either of those Talents using such a weave.

The second is 1. too powerful for such low reqs, and 2. too powerful to be tied off, 3. probably not possible with Third Age knowledge of the OP.

The third is intriguing, especially since I'm looking for more high level weaves. However, I think it would have reqs similar to the tornado weave, which requires only an 8 in Air. On the other hand, the tornado is still only manipulating an existing element, Air, not creating a new one at the same time, Fire. So more thinking/tweaking is required before I make a final decision.

I do commend you for your ambition in creating new weaves! Get with Marak from SG, he's (supposed to be) working on a project to create more high level weaves for us to use.

Guest Dalinar

Hmmm...

Okay, for the Fire vortex thing i'd probably suggest a Fire score of 8, perhaps 9. And perhaps bumping up the air score a little too. If we're going to compare it to a tornado, PERHAPS the skill should be upped a couple of points as well, given that we're dealing with a couple of the Five Powers instead of just one. Just my opinions.

The stone strike thing seems an interesting idea, and perhaps with some work it could be refined. My issues with it are, I suppose, on what it is actually DOING to the person it is striking. Paralysis, yes? But what sort of paralysis, or perhaps more how is that paralysis being achieved. Being from a medical background I suppose I'm thinking of it in the physiological terms. Are you trying to put someone in a temporary stasis? where everything about them is brought to a complete halt in effect reducing their metabolic rate to nothing, their heartrate to zero, their resp rates to zero, their cognition to non-existent, their reflexes to nothing... - in which case I think it'd be a MUCH harder weave to achieve and probably something that the Restorers from the AoL would have had trouble achieving.

Other alternatives are stopping muscle activity in the body - and thus perhaps leaving cognition and such in tact, but also having to be selective in it, otherwise you'd stop the heart and the diaphragm and be slowly killing the subject of the weave.

Reducing nerve conduction would have a similar effect and need similar 'selectivity' about it. And any kind of selectivity on that scale would need considerable skill.

If the stone strike were to work externally or in some other way, then who knows...

And I agree with Muir about the Look Away weave, it's kind of too powerful, and would fall under Compulsion I think rather than our definition of Milking Tears here at DM (albeit a definition I don't entirely agree with). If it were that simple a weave, it would be used widely by Aes Sedai not wanting to draw attention.

I'm with Muir on the commendments for putting up new ideas though. Keep them coming as we'll always look at them! :D

Dali/Ben.