DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Live Long and Prosper

Emperor

Well I think there would be rejoicing if the last episode of Enterprise was lost forever.. not sure about the others though.

Back to the Federation Temporal Police... I'm guessing they wouldn't intervene because history recorded Spock going back to fix it. For them, it is already fixed, and if it hadn't been, they would not exist. They just go after people from their own timeline and after, otherwise THEY would be changing the space/time continuum.

Well the story IS about romulans from the future going to the past killing Kirk, so the temporal police Could easilly have juristiction, Unless they act fast enough to destroy the federation before it existed... (thusly eliminateing the temporal police before they can act.)

No.... the Romulans are not from the same time or after the Temporal Police! I think there are two possible reasons they aren't intervening...

1. They had a change in directive after the Voyager Incident, for obvious reasons.

2. As Romulans of that era, they are not under their juristiction.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a briliant solution.... they do the whole movie using the new actors and the corny bad writen script and then just put little paper cutout heads of the original cast over the real actors kinda like those jibjab cartoon, in fact they could get jib jab to shoot the movie even. that way it would at least be kinda funny, even if it is a terible movie.

So you HAVE seen New Voyages, I take it?

• Community Administrator

Well I think there would be rejoicing if the last episode of Enterprise was lost forever.. not sure about the others though.

Back to the Federation Temporal Police... I'm guessing they wouldn't intervene because history recorded Spock going back to fix it. For them, it is already fixed, and if it hadn't been, they would not exist. They just go after people from their own timeline and after, otherwise THEY would be changing the space/time continuum.

Well the story IS about romulans from the future going to the past killing Kirk, so the temporal police Could easilly have juristiction, Unless they act fast enough to destroy the federation before it existed... (thusly eliminateing the temporal police before they can act.)

No.... the Romulans are not from the same time or after the Temporal Police! I think there are two possible reasons they aren't intervening...

1. They had a change in directive after the Voyager Incident, for obvious reasons.

2. As Romulans of that era, they are not under their juristiction.

I never said they were from the same era as the temporal police, But they do seem to get involved even When you aren't in the same era, as seen with Voyager.

The only reason Picards team never got hit up by the temporal police is..

A) They weren't created in the startrek universe yet,

B) I doubt they can compete with the Q.

You would think, that the Temporal Police Sqauad would have juristiction in this said case simply because, of its nature and possible destruction of the time line. It didn't happen in the first go around (or did it?!?)

I think the most plausable reason is.

The temportal police Don't know that the romulans went back in time, they don't have that historical data, and because We are guessing things corrected them selves, "Or they are the reason Spock is protecting the timeline",  or that by the time they could have done anything, the romulans had already destroyed the futur of the temporal police before the timeline was fixed, and recorded as normal...

ther eis no treaty (that i know of) between the federation and the romulan empire so how would the temporal police have any jurisdiction, and why would the romulans care if they did.  i may have missed somthing as i havent seen all the NG or voyeger episods so if there is an explenation there thats why i dont know about it.

ther eis no treaty (that i know of) between the federation and the romulan empire so how would the temporal police have any jurisdiction, and why would the romulans care if they did.  i may have missed somthing as i havent seen all the NG or voyeger episods so if there is an explenation there thats why i dont know about it.

I'm pretty sure they would have jurisdiction since the crime takes place within there 'teritory' and since its an act that could escentially destroy 800 years of work... I think they would most definately have jurisdiction...

arent the temporal police under the federation?

Yes, and thats why I'm saying it would have to be there juristiction because the time interference is taking place with in federation teritory, and directly affects the federation in the future...

It be like someone from Russia killing someone in America, They'd still be pursued by american officers/fbi/cia, ect. The actual 'trial' might be under international law/russian law, but they'd still be pursued my american forces.

Now if the said romulans attack kirk and such to destroy the federation in non federation space (be it in future/past) Then there may be a few 'juristiction' issues. :P

But really, I think the only part of this that would possibly destroy any possibility of the temporal police from getting into the mix is either

A) The romulans destroy the federation in the future before the temporal police could find/track them.

B) Because spock played a hand in 2 different time periods, it was never recorded as in incident, thusly the temporal police could never have found out about it, neither when the romulans went to the past, nor when spock stopped them. And since its probably hard for them to patrol there own time with in there own territory, I doubt they can monitor All Time Lines, with out some sort of written past about the events. (and considering the romluans probably got thrown back in time from romulan space, they probably never got that bit of history)

Temporal Mechanics are fun!

"Btw, current time travel theory is that the only way to really get it to work involves using Light, and keeping a machine running for an infinite period of time, so you can send information from the future, to the past, and said time travel is only possible so long as the machine is running, and up to the point that machine was first turn on."

why i was wondering about who they work for is that i dont think that it is illigal to break the law of a country/empier that you are at war with. while there exists no official state of war between the federation and the romulans, it would be more like someone in cuba growing drugs to sell in the us. even though it breaks our laws, there is no way to prosicute or even arrest the guilty party as long as they are on thier own teritory. thusly as long as they whent back in time and returned forward in time from romulan space, they could only be prosicuted while doing the deed.

why i was wondering about who they work for is that i dont think that it is illigal to break the law of a country/empier that you are at war with. while there exists no official state of war between the federation and the romulans, it would be more like someone in cuba growing drugs to sell in the us. even though it breaks our laws, there is no way to prosicute or even arrest the guilty party as long as they are on thier own teritory. thusly as long as they whent back in time and returned forward in time from romulan space, they could only be prosicuted while doing the deed.

Theororetically, that is true,  but thats what the temporal police try to do, catch them before or during the act, and in order to do that, the romulans would logically have to be in ferderation space... Unless they somehow goad Kirk into romulan space.... But isn't that kinda 'out of reach' back in kirks days? Aren't they in the Delta Section? "Or something like that..."

romulan space is relly verry close to earth space.  in the romulan war they barly had warp drive on either side and used nukes for thier wepons.  also there were a cuple of episodes were kirk ran into romulan ships, the most notible one being the one where the guy who would go on to play spocks  father played the romulan commander, and ended up dying.  also if you take any of the books as part of the "real stare trek" and dont just go by the movies, the book "enterprise", wich was so much better then the show, has the first commander of the enterprise pited against romulans after a romulan spy messes up the warp computer sending the enterprise drrp into the heart of romulan space.  so there are ways that they could do it without comming into federation space.  they could even do a kobiashimaru type thing to lure him in, or since they are going back in time they could even go to the episode that i was talking about and just have several more modern ships waighting to come to the aid of the one as soon as kirk crossed the nutral zone.

maby im rambling, ive just spent the last 2 hours trying to get a creeming baby to go backto sleep.  :(

arent the temporal police under the federation?

It be like someone from Russia killing someone in America, They'd still be pursued by american officers/fbi/cia, ect. The actual 'trial' might be under international law/russian law, but they'd still be pursued my american forces.

It would be more like if someone in Hawaii 100 years ago went back in time to 800 years ago and changed the timeline in Hawaii... The US would have no juristiction. Yes, Hawaii is currently owned by the US, but both the person changing things AND the time in which things were changed would both be out of the US during their respective times, hence any US "time police" would have no legal say. Otherwise it would be a big mess because there would be 50 different time police groups all claiming everywhere in Europe.. etc. In order for it to make any sense from an organizational standpoint, the location of the crime, or the criminal must be both from a time AND a place under juristiction of the time police.

It would be more like if someone in Hawaii 100 years ago went back in time to 800 years ago and changed the timeline in Hawaii... The US would have no juristiction. Yes, Hawaii is currently owned by the US, but both the person changing things AND the time in which things were changed would both be out of the US during their respective times, hence any US "time police" would have no legal say. Otherwise it would be a big mess because there would be 50 different time police groups all claiming everywhere in Europe.. etc. In order for it to make any sense from an organizational standpoint, the location of the crime, or the criminal must be both from a time AND a place under juristiction of the time police.

So, if you found out someone who was from a different time period, in a different country, was going to alter history so you were never born, you wouldn't do anything about it because its out of your juristicion?

Written by Transformers scripters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci

*weeps*

I may have to take back what I said earlier about any Trek being better than no Trek.

For this and other reasons, I am finding it difficult to become enthusiastic about this project.

*huggles ironcross and his screaming baby*  :)

chopegg.jpg

Now here's some unexpected, but delightful casting news.

"Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun of the Dead" leading man Simon Pegg is set to play chief engineer 'Scotty' in J.J. Abrams reinvention of the "Star Trek" film franchise. Pegg had a small but memorable role in Abrams "Mission: Impossible III" last year, so the re-teaming of the two doesn't come as a shock.

Also Asian-American comedy actor John Cho, best known as Harold in "Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle", is set to play the ship's pilot Sulu. Chris Pine remains the favourite to play Kirk, leaving the roles of Kirk's parents and the Enterprise's first captain Christopher Pike to yet be cast.

Finally comes word at Moviehole that the film's budget will be on the big side - the whopping $130 million initial estimate has been expanded upwards to as high as $150-160 million - and that's before any marketing or publicity, a number that's expected to be up in the $50 million range (Paramount is going "Transformers" sized with its promotions).

Previous Trek films (except for the ultra-expensive very first one in 1979) were always a model of economic efficiency with budgets usually hovering in the low-moderate range. The best film in the series, "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" cost a mere $12 million, whilst one of the worst "Star Trek: Insurrection" was the most expensive but still a mere $70 million.

It's a big gamble for the studio. Whilst the property remains hugely profitable for Paramount in its various TV incarnations, the most successful previous film was "Star Trek: First Contact" which took in a relatively modest $150 million worldwide in 1996. That's a number that will have to be more than doubled before it even starts making a profit.

Shooting begins November 5th on the Paramount lot and will incorporate eleven sets. Two weeks of location shoots in Iceland will also take place.

It's official!

Confirmed : Pine is Kirk

Date : October 16, 2007    Writer : Clint Morris

I love it when another outlet beats the trades to a major scoop. I especially love it when a filmmaker blurts out something that quite possibly, the powers-that-be don’t want revealed yet. Such was the case today when filmmaker Joe Carnahan announced on his blog that Chris Pine (“Just My Luck”, “Smokin’ Aces”) had refused an offer to appear in his new film (“White Jazz”) because he’s accepted the lead role – that’d be Captain James T.Kirk – in the new “Star Trek” pictureroo.

Carnahan, who worked with Pine on “Smokin’ Aces”, tells readers that “The young man playing Junior Stemmons has opted to 'boldly go where no man has gone before' and thus, had to bow out of WHITE JAZZ. I've been talking

to him this past week and knew how tough the decision had to be for him.I don't envy ever being in that spot but I gave him my full support, even if it meant he didn't do JAZZ. I get it. You don't get opportunities like that often and I told him as long as he could control as much of that process as possible and not get sucked into doing lesser sequels as a result of taking this gig, then good luck and God bless. We're sure to do something down the road. I've already slotted him in for KILLING PABLO.”

I don’t know what I quite think of Pine as Kirk yet – he doesn’t scream ‘Enterprise captain’ to me, but I’m sure J.J Abrams knows what he’s doing, and wouldn’t just cast the lad because it’d miff Joe Carnahan who now has to find another actor to play Junior Stemmons (might I suggest giving young Joel Edgerton a shot, Joe? He near walked away with “Smokin’ Aces”).

Yeah, Empy. I so posted about that last week.  ::)

And Harold as Sulu?? Another interesting choice...a lot of comic actors in this movie. And considering the screenwriters that are involved, does this mean that we're going to be subjected to idiotic dialogue that's meant to be funny (ie, like Optimus Prime saying, "My bad!") and sophmoric slapstick gags?

God, I hope not...

I don't remember, is this an even or odd numbered Trek film?

can you here that?  *cocks head strainning to lissten*  its the sound of a movie bombing

But... If the predictions are right, It will have so many plot holes, so many cliches, so many... Horrible Lyrics, it can't bomb!! I mean, look at the star wars prequils! Those were Horrible Acting, Script, Plot! And those had huge box offices! :P

And yet even stranger casting rumors.  Apparently Paramount and Abrams are close to finalizing the final piece of the original crew:

Is Urban Trek's New Bones?

Ain't It Cool News reported that New Zealand actor Karl Urban (Doom, The Lord of the Rings) will play Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek. The role was played by DeForest Kelley in the original Star Trek TV show and subsequent films.

The report, based on an anonymous source, appears to confirm a rumor earlier reported on TrekMovie.com.

If true, Urban would become the latest young actor to join the film's reported cast, including Chris Pine as Capt. James T. Kirk and Heroes' Zachary Quinto as Spock. The cast also includes Eric Bana, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, Zoe Saldana and John Cho, as well as original Spock Leonard Nimoy.

Star Trek will begin production next month with an eye to a Christmas 2008 release.

I'm willing to withhold judgment until I actually see the movie.  I certainly can't deny that J.J. Abrams is a solid director (heck, he actually made his entry into the awful Mission Impossible franchise watchable) and outside of maybe Peter Jackson or Spielberg taking over the series I think it appears to be in good hands. 

The plot sounds convoluted and some of the casting choices are are little odd but hey isn't same-old same-old what killed Trek to begin with?

I'm willing to withhold judgment until I actually see the movie.  I certainly can't deny that J.J. Abrams is a solid director (heck, he actually made his entry into the awful Mission Impossible franchise watchable) and outside of maybe Peter Jackson or Spielberg taking over the series I think it appears to be in good hands. 

The plot sounds convoluted and some of the casting choices are are little odd but hey isn't same-old same-old what killed Trek to begin with?

No, actualy the writers/directors of Voyager and Enterprise did that. (even though I liked both of those series)

Archived