DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Beginnings {Atten: Covai, Jocelyn, anyone else}

TaiDashan

OOC: Arath had to go to scout camp with his brother or some such and sadly this has left me stuck at the gate so to speak. :) my character knows he can channel but that is all. with this I wanted to open up a little about some of Tai'Dashan's motivations and inner demons. That way all you RP'ing folks can get to know him better. Anyone feel free to help my character settle in, get a space to call his own etc. And Arath once you are back jump right in! Covai or Jocelyn if you have the time I'm not afraid to start training :D Lets do some RP'ing! see the following link to understand the previous exchange and my arrival at the BT:

http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,17944.0.html

With Arath called away unexpectedly, Tai'Dashan was left a little dumbfounded at the Inn of the Black Tower. He could channel. He had hoped for it, wanted it with everything he had in him. A black coated Asha'man had strode purposefully into the inn and bent low to whisper to Arath. Arath had sighed and smiled at Tai'Dashan, excused himself and told him that someone would be by shortly to get him settled. That was where he sat. sipping the ale Arath had bought for him and letting it all sink in. Some may have described Tai'Dashan as handsome, as he caught his reflection in his ale he chuckled sullenly. Aria had thought so. Tai'Dashan was about 5'11, nothing to remark on, with a strong jaw framed with dark rugged hair he never could seem to tame completely. Aria had laughed when he commented on his jaw-length mane once, she said it was like him, never quite tamed completely. his startlingly blue eyes looked back at him with a deepness he hadn't expected to see reflected in his ale. But what did he expect thinking of her?

Aria was his lost love. The one secret in his past he never spoke of, even with his closest friends. They had met shortly before his mother died and Aria was a great comfort in the times that followed. They had shared love like something out of a gleeman's tale and talked often about marriage. Well...he had. She always laughed, ruffled his hair and kissed the tip of his nose. One day he had seriously questioned her about it. He knew she loved him. She had said that they were too young. 18 just wasn't old enough, and he had his business besides. Things were tough after that but they loved one another pure and simple until that night 4 years later. They had been so happy. Tai'Dashan felt the tears comming and drained his ale to push them back. He set his mug down with a sigh, pulling himself out of his reverie. Where had all that come from anyway? He ran a hand through his hair and looked around wondering what was next.

Quiet contemplation, or at least separation from the stubborn witch now sharing his head. It was bad enough with one person in there besides his own sanity, now there were two. He stabbed the knot with a flood of contempt and it responded in kind. He was never going to find peace now,. At times he almost wished for the one he was familiar with to return to it’s old bantering ways. So silent it had become since the bonding.

~You would be to if you had lived through what they did to us.~

You are back? Not afraid of the whimpering witch any longer?

~I am afraid of no One!! ~

Sure, Sure. Tell it to someone that actually believes you. If you are so fearsome, tell me a way to bring her to heel goat kisser.

~Why did you have to bond her? A witch, are you mad?~

Am I talking to a voice in my head?

His thoughts were interrupted as Arath entered with a young boy in civilian dress. Arath was still a puzzle to him. He thought, after much deliberation and watching that perhaps he did not worship the witches of Tar Valon as Rion did. But he was still not sure if his stand would be on the right side of the divide if he was to present it. Thus he was still a man that Linten watched from a distance but with an interest. As an instructor the man did a good job. Though he seemed to find entertainment in provoking people at different times, Linten being one of them.

A sudden glow surrounded Arath as he drew Saidin in; it called stronger to Linten now that someone held it near him. It always did. He would hold the sweetness day and night if it would not draw attention and he was not worried fatigue would cause him to slip and allow it to burn him out. He watched as Arath wove both the weave for the flame and the shield around them to reduce the amount of sound reaching them. So a new recruit perhaps is it? Linten watched half heartedly for a short spell before ordering another ale to replace the warm one in front of him that he had still not lifted.

Time seemed to stretch on forever as the boy and Arath stared at the flame between them. Linten would have cast him off long ago. It was obvious the boy did not have the talent or it would have … the weaves disappeared and the glow surrounding Arath vanished. He listened as the boy was sentenced and then Arath called away. Interesting this little tid bit. How strong he will be is yet to be know, and if it has taken him that long to read the boy then it will be a battle in the beginning just to find Saidin. Memories of his own work with Isha floated to view, the call of Saidin once more singing sweetly from just out of sight.

The boy sat quietly lost in his own thoughts as he work through his ale. Memories obviously haunted him as unshed tears glistened his eyes before he downed the mug. Linten ordered another as he calculated the most comfortable place at the boy’s table. Unfortunately the boy had been seated to a table in the middle of the common room which left no chair with it’s back directly to a wall. After much internal deliberation he decided against the move to the others table and instead caught his eye and offered him the one opposite his own.; The new mug of ale already waiting.

He waited for the boy to seat himself with his small pack at his feet. “Not much for belongings. But it won’t matter. Everything is supplied that is required for necessity, even these stylish black outfits.” His hands pulled the front of his tunic slightly with a sadistic smirk. “The hard part is the loved one’s we leave behind. Once you enter the service of the Black Tower, you lose all claim to a past existence. Too easy for the w … the women of the White Tower to trace. You don’t want and Aes Sedai finding your family do you?”

He left the question open. It was one of many ways he used to begin to profile others and determine where their allegiance might lie in the coming years.

OOC: Linten is a Dedicated, means he has the shine silver sword pin at his collar. 5’5”, sandy brown hair shoulder length and green eyes. Welcome to the Tower ;)

OOC: Thanks :D

Tai'Dashan saw a man in black motion to a mug of ale and an empty chair in front of him. His eyes aching with unshed tears, Tai'Dashan decided he could use another mug if only to steady himself. Gathering his things he made his way over to the man. As he sat down, he looked into the green eyes of this man that had offered him a chair and a mug. "Thanks for the mug." He said smiling. 'Looks like I don't have to worry about friends too much after all' he thought to himself drily. For a long time Tai'Dashan had had a hard time looking anyone straight in the eye with green eyes. Now he met the man's gaze levelly and introduced himself. Linten was this man's name and he was a Dedicated. The man in front of him had the look of someone hardned by his share of trouble but a friendly enough sort. Tai'Dashan asked after what kind of meal was good here and after ordering some mutton, he ordered a mulled wine for himself and another ale for his new found acquaintance. It was then that Linten spoke.

“Not much for belongings. But it won’t matter. Everything is supplied that is required for necessity, even these stylish black outfits.” His hands pulled the front of his tunic slightly with a sadistic smirk. “The hard part is the loved one’s we leave behind. Once you enter the service of the Black Tower, you lose all claim to a past existence. Too easy for the w … the women of the White Tower to trace. You don’t want and Aes Sedai finding your family do you?”

Staring into his mulled wine, Tai'Dashan kept in mind the man was ignorant of his past and forced his tone to soften when he answered softly, "I have no family, no loved ones to leave behind that haven't been left already. As for Aes Sedai," He shrugged, grimacing into his wine. "as long as they stay out of my way and do not try to stop me in my service to the Dragon, they have their place in Tarmon Gai'don. They too serve the pattern as the wheel weaves them." His last comment he added, looking up at Linten with a rueful grin. "As long as that is far enough away from me."

Tai'Dashan glanced out the nearest window and realised that what remained of the day when he arrived was quickly coming to a close. "So friend," he started comfortably, a little too comfortably thanks to all the ale, " where do I hang my hat and rest my travel weary bones? Do I have to shack up with all the other new recruits? Do I get a place of my own? Who do I talk to tomorrow?" The questions tumbled out of him almost faster than he meant, which he blamed on all the ale and wine, and he finished somewhat appologeticly with an abashed look and a yawn.

Linten’s face remained a neutral mask of mild curiosity as he continued to study the boy. Another with unknown ties and allegiances to the Aes Sedai though at least he seemed to have a sense of distance about him in their regard. There was chance then that he might yet fit and find a way to the true service and need of the Dragon Reborn. But only time and careful observance would answer that question. Something that would be long afforded a boy being so new and still so distant to the call of Saidin. Unfortunately time was not a luxury afforded many men, Linten was on of those.

“Well my boy in that later regard I’m sorry to say you are in short order of distance. So you will not be frightened I should warn you there already exists several Aes Sedai in our happy family.” He watched the boy carefully to gauge his words. “They, for the most part, are well in hand. But you would be wise to watch what you say around them. Most definitely watch what they tell you and how much you take to heart. Remember you are now sworn to the Dragon Reborn, not the Aes Sedai and their belief in being the leaders and true salvation and the Light. As you stated they have a place in the Great Battle. A place under the Dragon Reborn who we serve. Keep that in mind and close to your heart. With that knowledge you will see many things here while you train. Don’t be afraid to ask the questions that will come to your mind if you are truly observant. I will answer what I can should you seek to ask it of me.”

Allowing the weight of his words to sink in Linten lifted his mug to his lips though none of the bitter golden liquid entered his mouth. He needed his senses sharp if he was to return to the house with her still stewing there. Again he stabbed at the ball with contempt and happily noted a returning wave of the same emotion. Soon she would be ready for another session.

“As for your other myriad of question I can only answer a few. You will most likely be bunked in the recruit quarters, but that will depend on your mentor. As for who you talk to, Arath will see to that all when he returns. I am afraid the best I can offer you is a short brief tour before I have to return to … other matters of pressing need.” The need to straighten out that witch and put her on knees on the floor again. The thought was dark, but short of a brief shadowing to his brows; an almost knitting of them. He bore none of it to the boy seated across from him. He would have to make his own path. If it was the correct one Linten would aid and teach him along the way. If it was the wrong one … he left the thought unfinished. He had enough to deal with already and a shortness of properly secured trust in others.

OOC:  HEHEH .... Just remember, you all left him alone. So if Linten happens to make a gain, the fault rests solely on the rest. :p *grin* What happens when the welcoming committee is absent I wonder?

OOC:  I step out for one second . . .  :P

Arath returned slowly to the inn, muttering to himself about foolish soldiers.  Training accidents were not uncommon, but they were still frustrating.  Especially when someone died from the mistake.  The young man Arath had been mentoring was now being hauled off to the graveyard in several pieces, and two others had been sent to the infirmary for horrible burns.  The healers would be able to fix them easily enough, but the loss of a single soldier stung greatly.  Arath wondered idly what he might have done to prevent such an accident, but his mentee had been headstrong and stubborn.  And really, quite an idiot.  And now all that remained of him was paperwork.

Shaking that unpleasant thought from his head, Arath stepped inside and looked around.  Not much had changed since he'd left.  He didn't see Tai'Dashan for a moment, and assumed that one of the dedicated had come to retrieve him.  He was half right.  When he finally found the new recruit he winced inwardly as he saw him seated with Linten.  That man was an enigma.  He seemed to have an agenda entirely of his own, but Arath could not for the life of him figure it out. 

The look on the dedicated's face was unreadable as Arath approached, as usual.  A stone would communicate more than Linten would if he didn't want to.  "Making friends already are we?" he said as he came along side the table.  "I hate to break up your conversation, but the new soldier needs to be settled in."  Arath tilted his head slightly and thought for a moment.  "Come to think of it, you can help with this Linten.  Give him the grand tour, explain the heirarchy around here, and explain to him what he can expect for his first few weeks here, and have him at my office in an hour."  He turned to look at Tai'Dashan directly.  "Due to a training accident a very short time ago which claimed the life of another soldier, I am free to personally oversee your training."  He smiled slightly.  "I hope you listen better than my last mentee did."

"I hope you listen better than my last mentee did."

Arath had smiled slightly and Tai'Dashan felt his own mouth crack in a hearty grin that had nothing to do with the ale. "No worry about that Arath sir." Tai'Dashan found that he liked his mentor and was even surprised to hear the word friend in his mind when he thought about him. Quietly he had studied Linten while he spoke of Aes Sedai and had purposefully left his reply about them non-commital. The man had a face to make an Aes Sedai proud, but there was no hiding his eyes from Ta'Dashan. What he had seen had made his skin crawl. Not that he didn't like Linten. He seemed a good enough sort, the kind he might even trust his hide to in a battle. It was just something about his eyes when he had spoken of Aes Sedai had reminded him of the alley dogs back home. They looked tame enough until you got close. then they went for your throat just to taste some fresh meat and blood. It made him decidedly nervous. As Arath turned to go, Tai'Dashan slightly exagerated his drunken state and grabbing Arath's sleeve, fell off of his chair. As the man helped him stand he said. "I am a little two drunk for that regrettably Arath. What I really need is a place to lie down for the night and clear my head. We can do all that tomorrow eh?" With his back to Linten he looked meaningfully at Arath and hoped the man would understand. They could speak more about it later if Arath was so inclined but in all honesty a bed was all he truly wanted. Tai'Dashan had traveled since sun-up and was indeed travel weary, helped along by the ale. "No offence Linten." he offered drunkenly. Arath studied the two for a minute and Tai'Dashan held his breath.

OOC: Good to have you back Arath. tismeb4u, thanks man for stepping in and keepin me company, I am thoroughly interested in how things are developing with Linten and would like to RP that in the future and see where that goes! btw LOVED you guys' writing in the watchers RP!  ;D Yeah, im up to speed. hehe ;)

• 4 weeks later...

"Not happening boy. You should learn to listen to your superiors." Covai interrupted the conversation, shaking his slighty at Arath and Linten, both as a greeting, and also as a signal to stop them from acknowledging his rank. It had been a long hard day. Fortunately though, someone had just volunteered to be his punching bag.

"Some new recruit telling a Dedicated, let alone an Attack Leader he doesn't feel like doing something will see you strung up by your heels faster than you can blink. Dedicated Linten kindly offered time out of his routine to briefly show you around the grounds, and the Baijan-M'hael gave you an order, albeit indirectly, to be at his office in one hour. Your first offence is downright rude and disrespectful, and the latter will have you on latrine duty for a month." Covai knew the man was at least half-drunk, but that was no excuse for disobedience. Sure, most days he would have let it slide and left it to those involved, but after the last few weeks events, he was in no mood to let things slacken.

Relaxing his expression slightly when Arath looked at him, Covai let him see he wasn't going to do anything too serious. Arath had just lost his latest mente, and Covai didn't want him to feel he'd have to responsible for another one without even an hour passing. The man's death should be mourned, however brief it may be. He could at least buy the man time for that.

"So whats your name soldier?"

Tai'Dashan blinked and gave Arath a confused look. His mentor's return look warned caution. Already he was assistin Tai'Dashan. Again he felt the warmth of friendship. The sound of that voice coupled with the look on Arath's face, quelled any hot remark he was thinking of. slowly he turned around and looked at this new man. To order him around like that and for the other two men to fall silent like this he had to have some kind of rank. Tai'Dashan kept the exagerated drunken face on things and slowly reached out his hand. "My name is Tai'Dashan, and I am afraid you have me at a disadvantage. You know my name, but I have no clue what your's is or who you are." Tai'Dashan put an easy smile on his face if not a friendly one, but inside he was quaking with fear. This man's eyes looked like Death, pure and simple.