DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Oddness to saidin

Shadar Logothian

12 hours ago, Sabio said:

A bit off topic but it would be interesting if you had a Wind Finder say use the female statue to channel into the bowl how far you could change the weather.

I think you could get to the extremes of climate change worldwide. Ice age or global warming…

On 11/4/2022 at 5:17 AM, Elendir said:

No, they didn't change weather in whole world. It would be impossible with how weaving work. Some form of knowledge of subject is important.

They dispelled DO grasp of whether in their place and weave unraveled then gradually in other places.

I gave you a direct quote from The Wheel of Time Companion.  I'll reattach it here and bold the part you disagree with.

"A circle of thirteen could do enough to alter the weather changes in the world caused by The Dark One but not enough to buffer the results.  This ter'angreal was designed to work over a small region.  The advanced knowledge of the Windfinders meant they could spread its effects over a larger area, which resulted in it affecting the One Power and physical conditions on the ground, radiating out from near Ebou Dar where it was used to at least as far as the Altara-Illian border where Rand's armies were fighting the Seanchan."

I don't meant to quibble over exactly how the bowl works but the "oddness to saidin" is a result of the use of the bowl not over an unravelling weave - in this case I think you are saying they unravelled The Dark One's "weave" over the world's weather.  The Bowl affects the weather - it is a weather ter'angreal - and I don't think there is any weave for them to unravel, as in they certainly don't shield The Dark One or cause him to try and unpick his weave resulting in this odd impact. 

There's heaps on the link I originally posted, some of which I'll put here:

Controlling the weather with the bowl is like using the rudder of a ship. The weather is not changed instantly, rather the course of the weather is nudged in the desired direction to produce lasting effects.

The circle involved women who could channel from all major societies in the Westlands, and was probably the most powerful circle since the Breaking of the World.

The effects of the Bowl of the Winds took effect within days, the prolonged heat of The Fires of Heaven through to A Crown of Swords being quickly dispelled and bringing about a delayed winter at an accelerated pace. 

The aftereffects of using the ter'angreal caused both saidin and saidar to exhibit unusual behaviour that manifested in weaves of both halves becoming distorted and jumpy. In Rand's campaign against the Seanchan west of Illian, he and various Asha'man, including Damer Flinn, complain of a "strangeness" in saidin. Rand in particular notes that the Taint seemed more overwhelming than usual, although this may not be related. The effect was most noticeable near Ebou Dar where the Bowl of Winds was used. Furyk Karede notes how it affected the damane, calling it a "sickness" and lamenting that the damane were not able to channel in Ebou Dar, not even to create the sky lights that are normal in celebration of a victory. The Wheel of Time Companion confirms that these side-effects radiated outwards from Ebou Dar as far as the Altara-Illian border.[8]

The cause of these aftereffects was an overcharging and overextension of the Bowl of the Winds beyond what it was designed for. Originally, the Bowl was only applied over a much more local area, rather than the whole of the Westlands, perhaps the whole world. This ended up causing an instability in True Source that would not have occured when it was being used properly. It was the advanced ability of the Windfinders that enabled the Bowl to be used over such a large area.[8] Note that it is not the large amount of Power that is the cause of the instability, as there were no corresponding strange aftereffects that resulted from the Cleansing of saidin, but rather a result of the Bowl of the Winds itself, which draws upon both halves of the source directly to "generate" weaves that affect the weather. The amount of saidar used by the Bowl was much more than the considerable amount held by the circle itself, whose entire strength was bent towards controlling and directing the weaves broadcasted by the ter'angreal.

It is the use of a ter'angreal, stressed beyond what it was intended to be used for and thus not "buffered" adequately from having ripple effects on both saidin and saidar.

Link reattached:

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Bowl_of_the_Winds