DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Need a reference

DojoToad

Can someone help please?  I'm looking for the part where Perrin was inspecting wagons, or maybe smithing parts for a wagon.  He was concerned about making it right - even though no one would ever see it.  Any idea about which book/chapter this occurred?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Can someone help please?  I'm looking for the part where Perrin was inspecting wagons, or maybe smithing parts for a wagon.  He was concerned about making it right - even though no one would ever see it.  Any idea about which book/chapter this occurred?

Thank you.

I believe that happens when we come back to Perrin after the Battle of Malden, as they are preparing to head north.  The reason Perrin gave for it was because the Shaido hadn't known anything about maintaining carts and wagons.

The Gathering Storm, chapter 9.

5 hours ago, DojoToad said:

He was concerned about making it right - even though no one would ever see it. 

I think you are misremembering - the concern that it would be the best he could do even though no one would ever see it was Durnik, the smith in the Belgariad - it occurs in the first book.   Perrin was checking the wagons because it needed to be done and he could do it while receiving reports and giving directions.

8 hours ago, Andra said:

I believe that happens when we come back to Perrin after the Battle of Malden, as they are preparing to head north.  The reason Perrin gave for it was because the Shaido hadn't known anything about maintaining carts and wagons.

The Gathering Storm, chapter 9.

He was definitely making sure all the wagons were travel-worthy.  But not what I was looking for.  Had something to do with Perrin's work.

6 hours ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

I think you are misremembering - the concern that it would be the best he could do even though no one would ever see it was Durnik, the smith in the Belgariad - it occurs in the first book.   Perrin was checking the wagons because it needed to be done and he could do it while receiving reports and giving directions.

Perhaps.  Just started reading Pawn of Prophecy - first time in over 20 years.

You are absolutely correct in that this is what piqued my interest.  Just read the part where Durnik explains why he took such care with his work to Garion.  And I swear Perrin had a very similar scene.  Thought it was an Easter egg, but might be mistaken.

Definite parallel - cloaked rider that only Garion notices...

16 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Perhaps.  Just started reading Pawn of Prophecy - first time in over 20 years.

You are absolutely correct in that this is what piqued my interest.  Just read the part where Durnik explains why he took such care with his work to Garion.  And I swear Perrin had a very similar scene.  Thought it was an Easter egg, but might be mistaken.

Definite parallel - cloaked rider that only Garion notices...

There are other places where Perrin talks about work needing to be good quality even though most people wouldn't notice, but I don't recall any having to do with wagons.