DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Memory of Light

Pembie

20 hours ago, Pembie said:

Should I watch the show now?

12 hours ago, DojoToad said:

You might as well.  Some people here loved it, others hated it.  But it is something you will need to judge for yourself.

I generally tell people who have read the books that they should watch the show only if they already have Amazon Prime.  Or if there's something else on it that they want to see.

It's not worth it to pay for a subscription just for this.

But other people on this site would almost certainly disagree with me, and recommend jumping in for no other reason.

In @Pembie's case, the underwhelmed response to the books just might mean the show looks brilliant in comparison.

Yeah I’m not as mad about the books as everyone true but I wanted to know the real story line in my opinion people like local and Morraine should have had a bigger role and nyevene or Ian should have died in the last battle 

12 hours ago, Pembie said:

Yeah I’m not as mad about the books as everyone true but I wanted to know the real story line in my opinion people like local and Morraine should have had a bigger role and nyevene or Ian should have died in the last battle 

Yeah, given that you weren't as big of a fan of the books as many here, you will almost certainly be less upset at the differences.

Also, the show is much easier to follow (for the most part) than the books.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 7:41 AM, Andra said:

The clues were in the hints that Demandred and Graendal have dropped for a while.  But I agree that the setup wasn't really built properly.

It's one of the things that I suspect Jordan would have spent more time on in the last couple books than Sanderson did

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was a lot of material planned (written in fact) dealing with Demandred fulfilling the Bao The Wyld Prophecy but it was decided that it took up too much space and squeezed the longstanding main characters' page time so it was left out.  This might be faulty memory but I think it came from Sanderson.

In any case I liked that we got to The Last Battle and still had major surprises like the Sharans turning up and being seriously capable or the male Aiel channelers being captured and turned to The Shadow rather than dying gloriously in The Blight.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:57 AM, DojoToad said:

Ah, I did not remember about Hawkwing’s attempted invasion. That would certainly be a huge clue as to size and capability. Where was that reference?

I think there are references in WoT itself to The Seafolk carrying stories that a while after the fleets landed they were seen burning at anchor.  I thought the Sharans were a major power like the Aiel or Seanchan but that they would remain part of the world building rather than the story itself.  I was totally wrong-footed when they arrived.

7 hours ago, Stedding Tofu said:

In any case I liked that we got to The Last Battle and still had major surprises like the Sharans turning up and being seriously capable or the male Aiel channelers being captured and turned to The Shadow rather than dying gloriously in The Blight.

Still think the Sharans were a cheap surprise - Jordan/Sanderson missed something in the set up.  I was looking for it in my 2nd complete series read through and still didn't find the crumbs.  I agree that the male Aiel channelers was a great surprise.  Very believable for me. 

7 hours ago, Stedding Tofu said:

I think there are references in WoT itself to The Seafolk carrying stories that a while after the fleets landed they were seen burning at anchor.  I thought the Sharans were a major power like the Aiel or Seanchan but that they would remain part of the world building rather than the story itself.  I was totally wrong-footed when they arrived.

But where in the WoT were the references?

3 hours ago, DojoToad said:

But where in the WoT were the references?

Honestly I don't remember and could be confusing the source with "The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time".  If it is in WoT, it's likely to be either Mat chapters where Noal/Jain is telling stories of his adventures or one of the Forsaken POVs when they touch on Shara.  The ayyad are explained before we meet them.