DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Memory of Light

Pembie

7 hours ago, Pembie said:

Gawyn has the three rings from the blood knifes if he wears them when fighting does that mean he will die after getting the bloodlust to kill? 

Question to guys who have read the books do you know what questions people that are going through the series will end up asking is there a pattern to it 

Yes - he will die.

3 hours ago, Pembie said:

I don’t remember anything about the sharan  army at all who are they?

Sharans are mentioned very infrequently - to the point that I was very surprised when a whole army showed up at the last battle.  Either very badly set up, or I missed some clues.

4 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Sharans are mentioned very infrequently - to the point that I was very surprised when a whole army showed up at the last battle.  Either very badly set up, or I missed some clues.

Yeah seemed very random I thought new bad guys what now 

25 minutes ago, Pembie said:

Reading this story I have come to realise I don’t really enjoy Perrin wolf dream parts I think it would have been better if he was a proper werewolf in my opinion Because we already have the other dream world 

The wolf dream got less fun for me as well - especially during the last battle 

On 5/21/2022 at 2:14 PM, DojoToad said:

The clues were in the hints that Demandred and Graendal have dropped for a while.  But I agree that the setup wasn't really built properly.

It's one of the things that I suspect Jordan would have spent more time on in the last couple books than Sanderson did

5 hours ago, Andra said:

The clues were in the hints that Demandred and Graendal have dropped for a while.  But I agree that the setup wasn't really built properly.

It's one of the things that I suspect Jordan would have spent more time on in the last couple books than Sanderson did

I quite liked how that was done. For 13 books I've been wondering what the heck Demandred was up to. He was proud of his progress, as per the ending of book 6, but I had no idea what he was working on, concretely. And then he showed up in book 14 with an army from a part of the world we had heard of, but not learned much about, and I thought: "Oh, that's what he was up to! Makes sense."

It also shifts the power dynamic quite dramatically, which adds to the tension.

But yeah, setup would have been more methodical in Jordan's hands. Then again, in Jordan's hands we'd have gotten at least two, probably three more books than we got now. ? 

Edited by Asthereal

I get that hints were there, just not strong enough (for me).  I remember Shara being discussed on multiple occasions, but my impression was that the population was very small and that channelers were tightly controlled and an extremely small subset of the population.  This felt like a cheat - the Last Battle needs to be harder, so...

Maybe I read the clues incorrectly...

Most of the battle planning goes right over my head and I’m reading and I can’t tell you what it all meant really all I know is everyone is tired and there’s a lot of trollccs and this is a very long book of never ending battles haha where nobody has died as of yet 

3 hours ago, Pembie said:

The four captains have just had ther mind controled that’s where I am 

Sandar ended up in Tar Valon prior to the battle, and came with their forces to Merrilor.  Where he found himself commanding a squad.  If you haven't seen him yet, you will soon.

Edited by Andra

• Community Administrator
On 5/21/2022 at 6:06 PM, whiskey delta said:

I only vaguely remember them being referred to as “the people beyond the Aiel Waste”

On 5/23/2022 at 8:02 AM, DojoToad said:

I get that hints were there, just not strong enough (for me).  I remember Shara being discussed on multiple occasions, but my impression was that the population was very small and that channelers were tightly controlled and an extremely small subset of the population.  This felt like a cheat - the Last Battle needs to be harder, so...

Maybe I read the clues incorrectly...

They were mentioned several times, albeit infrequently.

Specifically, we're told that the SeaFolk trade with them, but are only ever allowed on the ports, never on the main land. (HUGE walls so they can't even see into the main land) 
That they're very secretive/secluded/xenophobic.

We also know that virtually all silk comes out of trade with Shara.

Via sea & the trek from the aiel wastes.

There was at least one time, where Rand was holding some kind of session.. I want to say in Tear? Where a Merchant? presented him the gift of a Silk Worm he smuggled out of Shara, and Rand being the genius he is, laughed/ridiculed the guy because "Everyone knows silk grows on trees".

In D&D terms, Rand rolled a Nat 1 on both his Insight & History checks, completely missing a plot hook.

44 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

They were mentioned several times, albeit infrequently.

Specifically, we're told that the SeaFolk trade with them, but are only ever allowed on the ports, never on the main land. (HUGE walls so they can't even see into the main land) 
That they're very secretive/secluded/xenophobic.

We also know that virtually all silk comes out of trade with Shara.

Via sea & the trek from the aiel wastes.

There was at least one time, where Rand was holding some kind of session.. I want to say in Tear? Where a Merchant? presented him the gift of a Silk Worm he smuggled out of Shara, and Rand being the genius he is, laughed/ridiculed the guy because "Everyone knows silk grows on trees".

In D&D terms, Rand rolled a Nat 1 on both his Insight & History checks, completely missing a plot hook.

Yes, I remember the references to Shara, and just never got that it was a massive army with tons of channelers.  Of course the clues never said it was a tiny army either.  Fooled myself.

I don’t see much point to Perrin in these books really definitely my less favourite 

Morraine really hasn’t done much since being back but I expect she might help Rand at the end he has been quite disappointing in this book just being shown possible futures 

Matt has been good and Ewenge shame she died I also liked Gaywn I wasn’t expecting Bridget too die Also Ian dying at the end there of the battle 

4 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Yes, I remember the references to Shara, and just never got that it was a massive army with tons of channelers.  Of course the clues never said it was a tiny army either.  Fooled myself.

The one thing we are told beforehand about Sharan channelers is that they live separately, and the separation is strongly enforced.  Also, that they may have something to do with the way their male and female rulers' lifespans alternate.

We are never told anything about the size and strength of their military, but can infer that it is quite capable.  Given the fact that no outsider has ever entered their territory without permission and returned to talk about it.  Artur Hawkwing attempted an invasion with a force the same size as what conquered Seanchan.  

It failed.

So far as we know, in 3000 years no outsiders were able to operate freely in Shara until Graendal and Demandred.  And they only did because they pretended to be fulfilling Sharan prophecy.

8 hours ago, Andra said:

The one thing we are told beforehand about Sharan channelers is that they live separately, and the separation is strongly enforced.  Also, that they may have something to do with the way their male and female rulers' lifespans alternate.

We are never told anything about the size and strength of their military, but can infer that it is quite capable.  Given the fact that no outsider has ever entered their territory without permission and returned to talk about it.  Artur Hawkwing attempted an invasion with a force the same size as what conquered Seanchan.  

It failed.

So far as we know, in 3000 years no outsiders were able to operate freely in Shara until Graendal and Demandred.  And they only did because they pretended to be fulfilling Sharan prophecy.

Ah, I did not remember about Hawkwing’s attempted invasion. That would certainly be a huge clue as to size and capability. Where was that reference?

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

Ah, I did not remember about Hawkwing’s attempted invasion. That would certainly be a huge clue as to size and capability. Where was that reference?

It was in the Big White Book - he sent one of his daughters to invade Shara with a fleet a year after sending a son to Seanchan.  I got the reference from the WOT fan Wiki.

39 minutes ago, Andra said:

It was in the Big White Book - he sent one of his daughters to invade Shara with a fleet a year after sending a son to Seanchan.  I got the reference from the WOT fan Wiki.

Wow!  I probably haven't cracked that book in 15 years.  It must be time to go through it again...

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Wow!  I probably haven't cracked that book in 15 years.  It must be time to go through it again...

Thanks!

My pleasure.

And this reminded me that I need to replace my copy.  I lent it to someone about the time MoL came out.  I've moved twice since then, and literally just now realized I never got it back.

Edited by Andra

16 minutes ago, Andra said:

My pleasure.

And this reminded me that I need to replace my copy.  I lent it to someone about the time MoL came out.  I've moved twice since then, and literally just now realized I never got it back.

Ha!  I lent out my hardcover copy of 'Eye of the World' to a coworker.  She took it with her on her honeymoon - to the beach.  Book destroyed.  She offered to replace it, but I had to chase her down for over 6 months until she did.  

So I have finished the story now it was ok haha I wanted Rand and the dark one to actually have a proper battle though and Morraine I was expecting to have a big role but not really I didn’t think stood around with Nyneve watching Rand 

Matts arc was good and Egwene and Gaywn  and Ian were my favourites in the battle

Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way with the story