DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How are you coping with the wait for season 2?

DaddyFinn

17 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Don't hate me because I'm still trying (unsuccessfully) to like the show.  Just consider me the idiot cousin that  doesn't get what everyone else does and have pity...

I'm not hating. I get why you would want to find positive things of the show. I just don't want to "waste" my precious time (10 month old baby) with content I'm not interested in consuming. I don't need extra reasons to dislike the show. I can find those myself well enough.

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

I used to be that way too.  But then I realized that diverse opinions helped shape my own.  Sometimes I went from love to like.  Other times love to love more.  And still others from love to indifference to dislike.  On occasion, I've moved into very positive directions from a place of hate.

I don't know everything.  A different perspective helps me see if I'm being too narrow-minded.  Because people grow and live in circumstances very different from mine - they notice or key on different things than me.  I find this invaluable in shaping my opinions.  It may solidify what I already thought, it may scrape away or erode against a firm opinion, and sometimes it atomizes my perspective.

It is much easier to play it safe and seek and reaffirming opinions.  I find it much more fulfilling to see multiple perspectives.  Sometimes I shape others, sometimes others shape me, but most often the effect is mutual.

I get looking for reasons to like something that you want to like but aren't quite there yet, or looking to understand a different perspective that your own to broaden your worldview. But why would I want to be talked into no longer enjoying something I enjoy? That just seems strange. I can guarantee that for every thing I love in life, there are people who hate it. I'm not going to seek them all out in the hopes that they'll change my mind until I have nothing left to love.

It's not like I don't know why some people dislike the WoT show. I've seen plenty of critiques, and I have my own as well. I just choose to not let them get in the way of my enjoyment, and I seek out content that helps me find the positives instead of the negative so I can continue to be excited about it.

Don't hate me because I'm still trying (unsuccessfully) to like the show.  Just consider me the idiot cousin that  doesn't get what everyone else does and have pity...

You're trying to like to show. I'm also trying to like the show. Why are you acting like it's okay for you to try to like the show but not for me, just because I've been more successful at it than you have?

Didn't expect this much hostility here to be honest.

1 hour ago, Nik said:

I get looking for reasons to like something that you want to like but aren't quite there yet, or looking to understand a different perspective that your own to broaden your worldview. But why would I want to be talked into no longer enjoying something I enjoy? That just seems strange. I can guarantee that for every thing I love in life, there are people who hate it. I'm not going to seek them all out in the hopes that they'll change my mind until I have nothing left to love.

It's not like I don't know why some people dislike the WoT show. I've seen plenty of critiques, and I have my own as well. I just choose to not let them get in the way of my enjoyment, and I seek out content that helps me find the positives instead of the negative so I can continue to be excited about it.

That's what I struggle with.  Getting past my own critiques.  That's why I come here, hoping someone will show me how to enjoy the show despite the short-comings I see.  So far not much luck.  Criticisms make more sense than praises.  That's why I was asking for thoughts on the review - he seemed spot on.

1 hour ago, Nik said:

You're trying to like to show. I'm also trying to like the show. Why are you acting like it's okay for you to try to like the show but not for me, just because I've been more successful at it than you have?

Didn't expect this much hostility here to be honest.

Do you like the show because of the obvious flaws, despite them, because they are based on books you also love, or you just genuinely love the show and see no inherent flaws?

I guess that is why I hang out at DM - to make sure my dislike of the show isn't just a me thing.

No hostility intended.  Just trying to be honest with myself and sometimes I get pushy trying to see if others are being honest with themselves - as if that is any of my business...

Do you like the show because of the obvious flaws, despite them, because they are based on books you also love, or you just genuinely love the show and see no inherent flaws?

I like the show because it's giving me more of the world and characters I love. It has flaws, but it's also doing a lot of things that I think are really good, so I choose to look past the flaws to enjoy it.

Everything has flaws, it's all about whether you're able to look past them or not, and that will vary for each person because we all have different life experiences and we all value different things.

I can totally understand why some people aren't able enjoy the show. It definitely is very different from the books. But there's enough there that I like to make me determined to not allow the flaws to keep me from enjoying it.

That's what I struggle with.  Getting past my own critiques.  That's why I come here, hoping someone will show me how to enjoy the show despite the short-comings I see.  So far not much luck.  Criticisms make more sense than praises.  That's why I was asking for thoughts on the review - he seemed spot on.

I honestly don't have the energy to break down an hour long video to explain why I disagree, or why even the points that I agree with don't interfere with my enjoyment of the show. And I'm not sure it would help, either, because enjoyment is very much a matter of taste and personal preference.

My advice if you want to find ways to enjoy the show more, is to take a break from it for a while, and when season 2 comes out, give it another try. Maybe it'll work better for you, maybe it won't, but I don't think me or anyone else telling you why you should like it would make a difference. Sometimes something just doesn't work for us and that's okay too.

33 minutes ago, Nik said:

I like the show because it's giving me more of the world and characters I love. It has flaws, but it's also doing a lot of things that I think are really good, so I choose to look past the flaws to enjoy it.

Everything has flaws, it's all about whether you're able to look past them or not, and that will vary for each person because we all have different life experiences and we all value different things.

I can totally understand why some people aren't able enjoy the show. It definitely is very different from the books. But there's enough there that I like to make me determined to not allow the flaws to keep me from enjoying it.

I see what you mean.  I really enjoyed The Hobbit movies - but thought they had several flaws.  Several of the dwarves were too goofy looking for me and the CGI was a bit much in parts.  But very much enjoyed the movies overall.  Just can't get there with WoT...

I see what you mean.  I really enjoyed The Hobbit movies - but thought they had several flaws.  Several of the dwarves were too goofy looking for me and the CGI was a bit much in parts.  But very much enjoyed the movies overall.  Just can't get there with WoT...

Maybe it might benefit you some to spend time reading some of the fan fiction people so deride.  Some is bad, but some is really really good, and it lets you see that different takes on things, whether alternate universes or missing scenes or 'change one thing', can still make a good story without diminishing the original.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 10:48 AM, DojoToad said:

I used to be that way too.  But then I realized that diverse opinions helped shape my own.  Sometimes I went from love to like.  Other times love to love more.  And still others from love to indifference to dislike.  On occasion, I've moved into very positive directions from a place of hate.

I don't know everything.  A different perspective helps me see if I'm being too narrow-minded.  Because people grow and live in circumstances very different from mine - they notice or key on different things than me.  I find this invaluable in shaping my opinions.  It may solidify what I already thought, it may scrape away or erode against a firm opinion, and sometimes it atomizes my perspective.

It is much easier to play it safe and seek and reaffirming opinions.  I find it much more fulfilling to see multiple perspectives.  Sometimes I shape others, sometimes others shape me, but most often the effect is mutual.

Great take on consuming other opinions.  It definitely helps put things into perspective. If you don't see other points of view you get tunnel vision which leads to non-creative thinking. 

A good example is the first time I watched The Fifth Element I didn't really like it.  Thought it was a disappointing generic scifi show.  That was because I was younger and didn't get its genius.  After talking with people and watching it again later it is now one of my favorite SciFi shows.

The opposite for The Last Jedi.  I generally liked it the first time I watched it because I saw what it was trying to do and it was entertaining enough.  I filled in the blanks in my head that the movie left out.  Then I watched a few youtube videos, talked with some co-workers (who nearly universally hated it) and then watched it again.  Realized the movie is straight trash from a story and execution perspective.  All the good will I gave it fell apart on actually paying attention to what was going on and not being suckered in by the visual polish and flashy lights.   

On 5/15/2022 at 11:25 AM, DaddyFinn said:

I'm not hating. I get why you would want to find positive things of the show. I just don't want to "waste" my precious time (10 month old baby) with content I'm not interested in consuming. I don't need extra reasons to dislike the show. I can find those myself well enough.

Congrats on the baby.  They will become the best part of your life!

On 5/15/2022 at 11:06 AM, DojoToad said:

Nah, the show is very terrible.  I've talked with people who have watched it at work and other places and they think it is pretty bad too.  There is a youtube channel called ManCarryThing, or something like that which summarizes why the show is so bad.  He even tries really hard to like it and isn't turned off at all by the over inclusion of politics into the show and some of the changes.  He deconstructs it from a storytelling perspective and just how bad the writing and pacing is.  

24 minutes ago, Jake Sykwalker said:

Nah, the show is very terrible.  I've talked with people who have watched it at work and other places and they think it is pretty bad too.  There is a youtube channel called ManCarryThing, or something like that which summarizes why the show is so bad.  He even tries really hard to like it and isn't turned off at all by the over inclusion of politics into the show and some of the changes.  He deconstructs it from a storytelling perspective and just how bad the writing and pacing is.  

I would suggest taking a listen to the Wheel Takes podcast with Ali and Gus.  Ali is a first time reader and works in TV.  She does any excellent job in explaining why certain changes were made and why the make sense for TV.  It is quite interesting to listen to.