DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Crossroads of Twlight

Pembie

47 minutes ago, Andra said:

No, it's actual dead people.

Perrin has gone there not to sell grain, but to buy it.  Because if his people are going to be able to catch up and defeat the Shaido, they have to eat.

It's actually one of the things some people like about the books - that they don't ignore things like that.

Fair enough I think I just get bogged down about hearing about what everyone is wearing all the time that I kind of glaze over sometimes

So Rena is a dark friend random Plus I don’t know about Toun offering protection to Lucas travelling show especially that’s extacly what Matt is doing with her trying to espace 

Also I’m not keen on them getting married like there’s no romance there just yet 

If you mean the sul'dam Renna, no.  We have no reason to believe she was a darkfriend.   She just wanted to go back to the Seanchan, and escpape the implications of the fact that she could channel.

And what Tuon does with and to Mat (and the people around him) is part of what makes their relationship complicated.

The romance (such as it ever is) is just as complicated.

11 hours ago, Andra said:

If you mean the sul'dam Renna, no.  We have no reason to believe she was a darkfriend.   She just wanted to go back to the Seanchan, and escpape the implications of the fact that she could channel.

And what Tuon does with and to Mat (and the people around him) is part of what makes their relationship complicated.

The romance (such as it ever is) is just as complicated.

Oh right I just thought the reason why Renna was shot and killed by a bow and arrow that she was a dark friend Does this story start to get better it’s a shame after ten books in but im thinking of quitting four more books seem like a big task

Edited by Pembie

7 hours ago, Pembie said:

Oh right I just thought the reason why Renna was shot and killed by a bow and arrow that she was a dark friend Does this story start to get better it’s a shame after ten books in but im thinking of quitting four more books seem like a big task

They had to stop her because she was heading back toward a Seanchan garrison, and could reveal enough to get them all killed.  That doesn't make her a darkfriend, just a traitor and enemy.

And yes, it gets better.  Pretty soon, actually.

This book ought to be called The Crossroads of Whether to Continue Reading or Not.  It does get better.

12 hours ago, Pembie said:

but im thinking of quitting four more books seem like a big task

Or you could put the book down, go directly to Book 12, start about three quarters of the way through.  Yes, you will miss a few things, but not many, and after finishing the series you might decide to go back and finish books 10 and 11.

Edited by EmreY

I don’t know I asked about what I think is happening on here and find I totally misunderstand so it’s either me being dim or the story isn’t written that good or not clearly Like Ewenge I have no idea wheee she was going in the boat at the end to go get Bode or something and now she’s kidnapped 

1 hour ago, Pembie said:

I don’t know I asked about what I think is happening on here and find I totally misunderstand so it’s either me being dim or the story isn’t written that good or not clearly Like Ewenge I have no idea wheee she was going in the boat at the end to go get Bode or something and now she’s kidnapped 

Tar Valon has two harbors on the river.  Each of them has a huge chain across the entrance that can be lowered to allow ships in and out, or raised to block the harbor.

Egwene was turning one of them into cuendillar, so that it couldn't be removed to let supplies be delivered.  Leane was doing the other one.  It was part of the strategy for the siege. 

She was originally planning to have Bode do one, but decided it wasn't appropriate to risk a novice on the job.  So she took it over.

She was captured because someone betrayed them to Elaida.

You may want to look into the audio books for the rest.  I've heard it can be easier to follow this complex of a story by listening to it, rather than reading it.  The differences in the way different parts are spoken can make it easier to get a handle on the different locations and characters.

@Pembie It's been many years since my first read-through, but I remember that books 9 and 10 were a bit like mountain climbing with the slope getting ever steeper.  Book 11 is better, but then I gave up.  The reason was that RJ wasn't going to be able to finish the series, and Book 11 (while miles more fun than 10) is not enough to recover from 10.  And then, last year, I finally returned to the series, and read straight through 12-14, and only then went back and re-read everything.  I must admit my eyes still glaze over at times during Book 10. ? 

What I'm trying to say, in a very roundabout way, is that there are other ways to read a book series than in chronological order, and while I'm not suggesting that you should skip to the Epilogue in Book 14 (do not!), you are permitted to forget where you were in Book 10 and accidentally skip ahead.  It's your book, you can do anything you like!  You can even do the same in Book 11 (though you will miss some fun stuff).  But from Book 12 it get really rewarding as all the loose ends start to be tied up, so I'd read 12-14 in order.

Edited by EmreY

I’m on knife of dream and going by the title I think something big could happen in the dream world 

I just don’t like plots like children of the light struggling to remember Galad he just got revenge on the guy he thinks killed Morgase even though I forgot he was looking for that guy the fight they had was good 

Now I’m following a General that I don’t remember lol

One of the biggest things for me is characters vanish for books and I’m like who and what are you doing in the story again Way too many characters I think 

7 hours ago, Pembie said:

One of the biggest things for me is characters vanish for books and I’m like who and what are you doing in the story again Way too many characters I think 

Indeed, sometimes halfway through a paragragh - or at least in my edition. ? 

@Pembie

just to stick my two bobs worth in, but maybe this isnt the book series for you? its one thing to ask genuine questions about the books, i struggle a fair bit with a lot of it, and COT is a very tough slog, but people have tried to hint that its worth kicking on with, or just skip to the next book, but you seem intent on suggesting the book and the story is flawed or boring with every post.

its all good, theres nothing to suggest you HAVE to like the series, and nothing to suggest fans of the series have to convince you....

FWIW, its a great series, dragged out with some plots that go no where, as if the writer was setting up a whole heap of threads not entirely sure which ones he would use towards the end himself....its worth the effort (not many book series have dedicated websites ) but its not for everyone....and thats cool.

6 hours ago, RextheDog said:

@Pembie

just to stick my two bobs worth in, but maybe this isnt the book series for you? its one thing to ask genuine questions about the books, i struggle a fair bit with a lot of it, and COT is a very tough slog, but people have tried to hint that its worth kicking on with, or just skip to the next book, but you seem intent on suggesting the book and the story is flawed or boring with every post.

its all good, theres nothing to suggest you HAVE to like the series, and nothing to suggest fans of the series have to convince you....

FWIW, its a great series, dragged out with some plots that go no where, as if the writer was setting up a whole heap of threads not entirely sure which ones he would use towards the end himself....its worth the effort (not many book series have dedicated websites ) but its not for everyone....and thats cool.

I just find the story fusturating at times but fair enough sorry I will stop with all the questions  I will post when I finish the story 

48 minutes ago, Pembie said:

I just find the story fusturating at times but fair enough sorry I will stop with all the questions  I will post when I finish the story 

No need to stop asking questions.

We've all been there.

But I really think that if you want to finish the series, you might consider audio books.

They can help with keeping different characters and events straight if just reading their stories gets confusing.

On 2/18/2022 at 1:58 PM, Pembie said:

no need to stop asking questions, bring them on i say,  i wish on my first read through i could bounce off a forum to check my interpretation of events....i mean, im still finding out i've looked at things incorrectly....the scopes just too big to get it all right....im amazed at the amount of people on here that have such a grasp on every detail without even doubting themselves....

just seems like you want to vent, on a forum that is filled with lovers of the book. just seems odd. i might be reading the situation wrong (how ironic would that be!)

On 2/18/2022 at 4:49 AM, Andra said:

But I really think that if you want to finish the series, you might consider audio books.

They can help with keeping different characters and events straight if just reading their stories gets confusing.

Pembie is already in Knife of Dreams. Life is good again. No worries.

About the general: that's probably Rodel Ituralde. He is referenced earlier, but in the flesh he pops up late in the series. He's a pleasure to read though, I found, especially in Sanderson's books. Just give him some time.

53 minutes ago, Asthereal said:

Pembie is already in Knife of Dreams. Life is good again. No worries.

About the general: that's probably Rodel Ituralde. He is referenced earlier, but in the flesh he pops up late in the series. He's a pleasure to read though, I found, especially in Sanderson's books. Just give him some time.

It could be Lieutenant General Tylee Khirgan.

One my favorite Seanchan characters.

Her coloring is wrong, but she reminds me very strongly of Brienne of Tarth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 2:36 AM, Pembie said:

I’m on knife of dream and going by the title I think something big could happen in the dream world 

I just don’t like plots like children of the light struggling to remember Galad he just got revenge on the guy he thinks killed Morgase even though I forgot he was looking for that guy the fight they had was good 

Now I’m following a General that I don’t remember lol

Personally, I wouldn't have minded if the Children of the Light had been wiped out by the Seanchan. 

I don't see them or Galad as important enough to make even a minor storyline around. 

They had already served their purpose already in helping to form Perrin's character and aren't necessary afterwards. 

I like Ewenges story the most in knife of dreams I’m not really sure why the book in called that I thought it would be a reference to one of the girls getting stabbed in the dreamworlds 

Also Robert has finally done something with Lolia with him getting married

and sending Ian off to fight in the blight 

The reveals of some of the black Ajah don’t feel that exciting to me really 

Still drags in places and I just want the last battle to start now haha 

2 hours ago, Pembie said:

Also watching Mike reads on YouTube and he said something like Lanfear has come back recartioned but I didn’t pick up on that at all All I know is Matt has been tasked with finding Morraine somehow in some tower?

If you remember back to when Perrin first chased Slayer in the wolf dream with Hopper, he followed him to a tower with no visible entrance that he figured he had somehow gotten inside.  He met Birgitte outside the tower, though she didn't introduce herself, and Hopper couldn't see or hear her.  It's the same silver tower that Rand and Mat saw in the distance from the deck of Bayle Domon's boat all the way back in Eye of the World. 

Birgitte told Perrin it's called the "Tower of Ghenjei."

It's one of the places in the real world that's a visible representation of the realms accessed through the twisted redstone doorframes.  Where the Aelfinn and Eelfinn live, whose existences are distantly remembered in the "snakes and foxes" game.

When Lanfear and Moiraine fought on the docks in Cairhien, they fell through one of the doorframes, which then melted.  Trapping them both under the control of the Finns.

The Dark One "rescued" Lanfear by having her killed and resurrecting her into another body - whom you've already met, but not by name (she's being punished, so she can't use her own name).  Moiraine is still inside the Tower, so Mat (with a couple others) has to break in and get her out.

11 hours ago, Pembie said:

Also watching Mike reads on YouTube and he said something like Lanfear has come back recartioned but I didn’t pick up on that at all All I know is Matt has been tasked with finding Morraine somehow in some tower?

In the ending of Winter's Heart, while Rand and Nynaeve are working to cleanse saidin of the taint, the Forsaken attack. There's a woman called Cyndane who shows up there and has a fight with Alivia. This is the moment that it's finally revealed to the readers that Lanfear died and was resurrected into Cyndane. She's also quite a bit weaker in the Power now, because she was partly drained by the Finn.

I definitely recommend re-reading the ending to Winter's Heart, as there's a LOT to unpack there.
I, too, missed many details in that bit during my first read-through.

Edited by Asthereal

12 hours ago, Andra said:

If you remember back to when Perrin first chased Slayer in the wolf dream with Hopper, he followed him to a tower with no visible entrance that he figured he had somehow gotten inside.  He met Birgitte outside the tower, though she didn't introduce herself, and Hopper couldn't see or hear her.  It's the same silver tower that Rand and Mat saw in the distance from the deck of Bayle Domon's boat all the way back in Eye of the World. 

Birgitte told Perrin it's called the "Tower of Ghenjei."

It's one of the places in the real world that's a visible representation of the realms accessed through the twisted redstone doorframes.  Where the Aelfinn and Eelfinn live, whose existences are distantly remembered in the "snakes and foxes" game.

When Lanfear and Moiraine fought on the docks in Cairhien, they fell through one of the doorframes, which then melted.  Trapping them both under the control of the Finns.

The Dark One "rescued" Lanfear by having her killed and resurrecting her into another body - whom you've already met, but not by name (she's being punished, so she can't use her own name).  Moiraine is still inside the Tower, so Mat (with a couple others) has to break in and get her out.

I would say that’s  very clever for telling but I can’t remember or didn’t notice at the time of these events especially Perrin my least favourite character of the series 

4 hours ago, Asthereal said:

In the ending of Winter's Heart, while Rand and Nynaeve are working to cleanse saidin of the taint, the Forsaken attack. There's a woman called Cyndane who shows up there and has a fight with Alivia. This is the moment that it's finally revealed to the readers that Lanfear died and was resurrected into Cyndane. She's also quite a bit weaker in the Power now, because she was partly drained by the Finn.

I definitely recommend re-reading the ending to Winter's Heart, as there's a LOT to unpack there.
I, too, missed many details in that bit during my first read-through.

I have to admit I got Cadsuane and Cyndane  mixed up so I have been wondering if Cadsuane is black Ajah ever since lol

1 hour ago, Pembie said:

I would say that’s  very clever for telling but I can’t remember or didn’t notice at the time of these events especially Perrin my least favourite character of the series 

The parts about Perrin and Birgitte in there are helpful for the reader to understand what's going on, but aren't really necessary for the story - since Mat doesn't know about any of that.

Mat knows about it from his own experiences, both in seeing the Tower of Ghenjei himself on Domon's boat along with Rand and Thom - and Domon (who knows its exact location), and from meeting the Aelfinn and Eelfinn personally.

Which is why Moiraine's letter to Thom specifically mentions Mat.

There are other reasons why she mentions Mat as well, but I won't spoil them for you.