DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Foreshadowing ...

templar7

4 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

That's all he saw from where he was. Not necessarily all that there was.  He was very far away.

While true, it's irrelevant.

We have been told repeatedly throughout the books that nothing survived from the AOL except as fragments, unless it was power-wrought, or protected within a stedding.  The Seals, the Ways, the Choedan Kal, Whitebridge (maybe), Cuendillar, certain weapons - you get the idea.  Given that fact, there is no reason to believe an actual city survived mostly intact until direct concrete evidence is seen.  And "remnants of shattered buildings" seen at too great a distance to make out doesn't provide it.

Sorry, but "he couldn't tell, so it could have been" is going off nothing but imagination.

Edited by Andra

On 1/8/2022 at 4:08 PM, Andra said:

Sorry, but "he couldn't tell, so it could have been" is going off nothing but imagination.

It's true, it is imagination. But you here are trying to prove a negative.  It seems to be you are saying, to my understanding, that it is completely unreasonable for anybody's imagination to possibly believe that the outer physical structure, if broken and overgrown, of a city from the Age of Legends could possibly survive in a semi-recognizable form into the time of the book series, and that anyone who imagines that one could and depicts it as a way of showing that this is a post-apocalyptic world is making a grave continuity error.

I am saying that it is, technically, possible for someone to imagine that such a place exists in a remote and uninhabited area.  We have individual buildings and docks survive, with the possibility of more, we have artifacts exist. We have a substance that can be generated through the One Power in fairly large quantities (like river chains) that is immune to the One Power and physical destruction in the first place. We have ways for channelers to cause destruction that would cause a city to be abandoned without ever harming the structure of it itself. We can have cities physically moved to places where they can't be found again.

I would say the only way you can prove your case is to say that the entire surface was slagged in such a way that no buildings stood, which is certainly wrong, and that level of destruction would probably eliminate life entirely.

7 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

It's true, it is imagination. But you here are trying to prove a negative.  It seems to be you are saying, to my understanding, that it is completely unreasonable for anybody's imagination to possibly believe that the outer physical structure, if broken and overgrown, of a city from the Age of Legends could possibly survive in a semi-recognizable form into the time of the book series, and that anyone who imagines that one could and depicts it as a way of showing that this is a post-apocalyptic world is making a grave continuity error.

I am saying that it is, technically, possible for someone to imagine that such a place exists in a remote and uninhabited area.  We have individual buildings and docks survive, with the possibility of more, we have artifacts exist. We have a substance that can be generated through the One Power in fairly large quantities (like river chains) that is immune to the One Power and physical destruction in the first place. We have ways for channelers to cause destruction that would cause a city to be abandoned without ever harming the structure of it itself. We can have cities physically moved to places where they can't be found again.

I would say the only way you can prove your case is to say that the entire surface was slagged in such a way that no buildings stood, which is certainly wrong, and that level of destruction would probably eliminate life entirely.

No, what I'm saying is that we are told in the books - repeatedly - that nothing like a complete city survived the Breaking intact enough to be recognized as such.  And that the single example seen at a distance in the Jangai Pass provides nothing to refute that repeated statement.

Please note: This example doesn't go so far as to say that even individual buildings survived.  It says (perhaps) shattered remnants of buildings remain.  So unless you are speculating that an entire city might have been made of Cuendillar, and this one obviously wasn't, there's no reason to doubt that what we've been repeatedly told is true.

My "case" is that what the books have said about the subject is true, unless the books provide evidence that it isn't.  And this isn't that.

Also please note: I'm talking about what the books say on the subject, not what the show (where the images come from) says on it.

The show is welcome to make up its own version of the events, as it has done about many things.  But the books don't support that version.

Edited by Andra