DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Prophecies in the Show

JaimAybara

***regarding spoilers if responding don’t use names just make implications if you can.*** “you know who’s” etc…

One disgruntlement GoT fans had were the teasing out of prophecies and symbolism that was either tossed to the wayside or completely forgotten. So, how do you think the prophecies for the Dragon/Car’a’carn/ Coramoor should be used in the show? 

would they be a good thing to incorporate or bad? Why or why not? 

I think it could it be a fun mystery/puzzle to attract non-book readers into figuring things out even after the first large reveal, but unlike in GoT they will actually get those revelations answered in significant ways.

Edited by JaimAybara
Avoid spoilers by implying or using “you know who’s”

I agree, it was something that I think he toyed with but then never fully expanded on regarding the Sea Folk. I can see some really cool opportunities for teasing newcomers and giving them some cool twists. They could also create red herrings that are close to the prophecy but misinterpretations…and then pull the rug out from under them. Especially when discussing false dragons. 

15 hours ago, JaimAybara said:

***regarding spoilers if responding don’t use names just make implications if you can.*** “you know who’s” etc…

One disgruntlement GoT fans had were the teasing out of prophecies and symbolism that was either tossed to the wayside or completely forgotten. So, how do you think the prophecies for the Dragon/Car’a’carn/ Coramoor should be used in the show? 

would they be a good thing to incorporate or bad? Why or why not? 

I think it could it be a fun mystery/puzzle to attract non-book readers into figuring things out even after the first large reveal, but unlike in GoT they will actually get those revelations answered in significant ways.

Symbolic stuff can be complicated.  Easy to screw up because of the Chekhov's Gun effect.  Basically, if you show or emphasize something the audience should be able to expect it to play out on screen in some way.  Martin's kitchen sink approach to that kind of thing didn't really help the series much.   The concept that Martin was 'subverting expectations' with everything he does also (probably) contributed to it.  Personally, I think Martin subverts expectations only for a time but ultimately confirms expectations.   Opinions on that can and should differ.

Basically, I am expecting them to cut down a lot of the prophecy stuff from the books but really emphasize the one's that they do use.  

An example might be you have Tam doing a voiceover in the teaser which could come from a rewritten Ravens style prologue and could serve as a means to give the initial 'prophecy' of the Dragon Reborn.  After that scatter a few here and there in a way that lets them direct/redirect the character's actions and the viewer's attention.  

I think the existence of prophecy is a key component of Wheel of Time, so it would be frustrating to me if they decided to get rid of it entirely.

But prophecy is also hard to do in movies/tv without being cheesy or heavy handed about it, so my guess is that they scale it back to a few key elements. 

2 hours ago, TheDreadReader said:

“Symbolic stuff can be complicated.  Easy to screw up because of the Chekhov's Gun effect.  Basically, if you show or emphasize something the audience should be able to expect it to play out on screen in some way.”

For sure, I just want them to make what they do use actually mean something. Very good point on Chekov’s Gun. I’m all for misdirection and keeping newcomers on the edge of their seat, but don’t use it and have it only be window dressing or not matter at all.

1 hour ago, Elder_Haman said:

I think the existence of prophecy is a key component of Wheel of Time, so it would be frustrating to me if they decided to get rid of it entirely.

But prophecy is also hard to do in movies/tv without being cheesy or heavy handed about it, so my guess is that they scale it back to a few key elements. 

Keep it subtle and nuanced absolutely. When I first read it I was like, ooooooo what does that mean?” And I think it is an aspect that could potentially be very enticing for tv fandom.