DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

No Forsaken in Season 1 ?

nsmallw

On 10/27/2021 at 7:41 PM, Pandemonium said:

Logan will be a villain role at first.  then he will get gentled and healed with new loyalty towards the aes sedai

There may be other possibilities for where Logain goes after the gentling/healing momoent.  I'm still leaning towards him being the one that founds the Black Tower instead of Taim.  

Logain set up as a villain in the first season with a redemption arc could be a good opportunity to lean into the 'very villain is a hero in their own eyes' idea.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:53 PM, Tim said:

In my view, the endings for Ba'athalmal and Aginor in TEOTW were by turns underwhelming and confusing:

1. why does Ba'athamal not just balefire Someshta or something? I mean I guess he's just a fairly unimpressive Forsaken in general, but in that case why bother having him?

2. it appears that Aginor burns himself out on the saidin contained in the eye, but the books don't really explicate this (and in any event, it's before we have a clear sense of the risks of drawing too much of the OP which really comes through in book 2). All we know is that one minute Aginor is using the eye to restore himself and the next he is on fire. Rand leaves him to burn and is suddenly at Tarwin's Gap where the real contest begins. (Aginor, of course, is perhaps even less impressive than Ba'athamel, genetic skills aside - Dashiva being a case in point).

In any event, this leaves a bunch of unanswered questions: was the eye always too much saidin for Aginor to safely draw? Why did he need the eye to restore himself at all? Was the plan to use the eye to blast open the bore, or something else? These don't seem like mysteries that RJ deliberately left dangling so much as matters he felt didn't need to be addressed because, at that stage, we're seeing everything from Rand's uninformed POV.

None of this is to say that they definitely should be dispensed with, but if they are kept then the show writers would have needed to make a fair number of changes in order to lend a semblance of narrative coherence to their roles (in particular Aginor's) anyway. 

I agree it was confusing. And I think RJ actually intended it to be very confusing. Total chaos. To me, it worked great. 

I also think it was later explained that Ag and Balth emerged weak and disfigured because they were sealed up very close to the surface. Which would explain their difficulty. But remember that most of the Forsaken were pretty incompetent and underwhelming. It’s one of the weaknesses of WOT

I hope they don't turn Logain into too much of a villain to be honest. As a false dragon he would have caused a lot of destruction and while we don't know who started the violence, fact is by declaring himself the dragon he was inviting it.

Nonetheless, he never personally acts very villanous in any of his appearances in the books and actually shows a fair bit of compassion when it comes down to it. 

Edited by MasterAblar

19 hours ago, Beidomon said:

I agree it was confusing. And I think RJ actually intended it to be very confusing. Total chaos. To me, it worked great. 

I also think it was later explained that Ag and Balth emerged weak and disfigured because they were sealed up very close to the surface. Which would explain their difficulty. But remember that most of the Forsaken were pretty incompetent and underwhelming. It’s one of the weaknesses of WOT

More accurately they were incompetent when actually faced with the main protagonists. They were all quite succesful in the background for the most part.

42 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

I hope they don't turn Logain into too much of a villain to be honest. As a false dragon he would have caused a lot of destruction and while we don't know who started the violence, fact is my declaring himself the dragon he was inviting it.

Nonetheless, he never personally acts very villanous in any of his appearances in the books and actually shows a fair bit of compassion when it comes down to it. 

Agreed. I liked his loyalty to Rand and the Light

Edited by DojoToad