DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shields?

Essy

Aiel at least use shields or well, bucklers. But I am sure that some fighters of the Wetlands use them too. Cavalry of course wouldn't and nor would the pikemen or archers but they would be mightily handy against the Shadowspawn and other men too.

There have been at least few Warder PCs who have used shields ICly: Con Stavros and Ragan Morsad at least but they are retired characters so I don't know if anyone currently uses them.

some paths also makes it imposible for warder PCs to do so

aka those who use two handed swords or those who use two swords...or the path where you learn to change the sword from hand to hand...cant change it if you got a shield in another hand

so i guess its just that not many find it logic...also all one hand sword styles where you chose to use a knife or dagger as a secondary defence in the other hand make it imposible

so basicaly less of in war batles one can just asume most warders have figthing styles where its more to hinder then help in most situations...

Guest Arie Ronshor

it truely depends on the character that you create. :)

We often see characters with more than one blade, or just one really large blade because it is more effective (in the writers mind) when being offensive in battle. You can parry with a blade nearly as effectively as a shield. However, if you feel your character is more likely to use a shield, than it's plausable to have one in the Barracks for your character to pick up. :)

Anouther thought, it is okay to be a little different or out of the norm. I know that i'm currently the only one that uses a Zweihander and due to active Rping have becmoe Notorious with it. *nuzzles her beast*. if you want a reputation with your weapon, or shield, you would need to be active with it, but again, that always makes for good story writing. :)

Andrea

Actually Ree, every type of cavalry, with the exception of cavalry archers, use shields, it is a standard equipment for all cavalry, starting from light hussars ending up with the heavy cavalry such as kataphrakoi and kawarizm cavalry. And a shield is also used in armies, take the Legion of the Dragon for example.Also, the standart weapon of almost any army is a one handed sword or another one handed melee weapon, the shield comes naturally.

So Essy, if you want to use a shield - then by all means, use it. It can be both defensive and offensive, it all depends on how you use it

*bows to Stani's superior military history knowledge* That is the area I always skip in history and WoT books ;) Maybe I should start updating my trivia on that field too.

And yeah, bashing with a shield is all kinds of fun, especially if the shield is specially equipped with nasty spikes.