DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

All this talk about movies/tv series has got me in the mood

Sammael - David Wenham

-I don't know I'd have to see him in some other roles besides LOTR before I could commit. As Faramir he seemed too calm and collected. For Sammael I need some who I know can throw a good tantrum.

"Daisy" Wenham is another one of my "must be in this movie" people. I wubbs him. <3<3<3 He also plays Carl in Van Helsing and Dilios in 300. The Bank and Better Than Sex are two Aussie movies he's been in which are quite good, though I don't think they're widely available in America. I would like to give him a role which allows for a little humor but I couldn't find one and I think he'd do a fine job as Sammy.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm...I can't imagine a film series being made due to budget and time constraints as well as simple practicality--a series this size would take years to film, proving problematic for Aes Sedai agelessness and keeping Olver 10 years old long enough to finish. That being said, I cast the film in my head sometimes as I'm reading or as I'm watching tv and movies. Since I'm just woolgathering, I don't usually bother to remember who I've picked but a few of my choices would be...

Rand and Mat--I have thought about Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhal as Rand and Mat. Yes, I admit I was watching Brokeback Mountain as the idea came to me. ("Rand and Matrim, sittin' in a tree....") I think they're too old and I would hate to cover up Jake's amazing blue eyes with brown contact lenses but that's sort of how I visualize them as looking.

Thom--Originally, I favored Sir Ian like many others but have been leaning more towards David Bowie. He's around 60 years old, tall, and has the elegance one would expect from a court bard who's been playing the game of houses for decades. He also has the benefit of being able to act as well as being musical.

Lanfear--Salma Hayek. I'm thinking particularly of the scene in From Dusk Till Dawn where she walks down the tabletop in the bar wearing an Aztec headdress and pours tequila down her leg into Quentin Tarrantino's mouth. Never in my life have I been as transfixed staring at a woman as I was watching that scene. Still, I'm concerned she doesn't have the psycho ex-girlfriend intensity for Lanfear so I've also thought of Catherine Zeta Jones. Fanny Ardent would have appeal, too, as she's beautiful, mature, and terribly sexy.

Lan--I visualize Viggo Mortensen but reject him out of hand just because I don't want a remake of Lord of the Rings. I've tried to fit Vincent Cassel into the role but he's a little fine-boned in the face for my taste.

Gareth Bryn--I always see Bernard Hill. A mature, well-built man with that strawberry-blonde look of the Andoran aristocracy.

Siuane Sanche--I sort of like Dame Judi Dench, if makeup could make her look young enough to pull off agelessness. It's not so much her face that gets me, it's the level of intensity and command she can put into those bright blue eyes of hers.

Semiraghe--Grace Jones has always been my choice for her. For some reason, I can really see her as the Mistress of Pain. Jones was always so fierce and dominating.

Padan Faine--Occasionally, I've toyed with the idea of Tim Curry. I think the role is within his range but would still give him room to stretch into new areas.

A lot of the younger characters I just can't cast because I don't pay enough attention to the media to be aware of actors of an appropriate age. That's also a problem in casting Aes Sedai since "ageless" works on paper but the makeup department can only get rid of so many wrinkles. Similarly, when I first read The Eye of the World, I saw Cate Blanchett as Morgase (who looks about 28-30) but Blanchett is getting too old for the role. Anyway, those are the ones I can think of off hand.

Siuane Sanche--I sort of like Dame Judi Dench, if makeup could make her look young enough to pull off agelessness. It's not so much her face that gets me, it's the level of intensity and command she can put into those bright blue eyes of hers.

She could play the role certainly, but here is one major problem. After being stilled Suin is suposed to look young and beautiful. Unfortunatly, no amount of makeup is going to do that for Judi Dench.

werd...

I'd adore Dame Judi for Suian if she was young enough. She could say "FISH GUTS!" and still have my utmost respect.

Guest LurkingFadeFetcher

I don't know why no one has thought of it but i think that Sean Bean (Boromir in LOTR) would be a good Taim or Sammael.

And how about Liam Neeson as Thom or Gareth Bryne?

just thoughts...

Well dang, I guess I'm not the only one that "visualizes" the characters as I'm reading the books hehe

(Disclaimer: those names with the - in front signify ones that I'm not entirely sure of, while + means ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT QUESTION :D )

THE GOOD GUYS:

-Rand: Hayden Christensen (Star Wars) -- don't like him as Rand, but couldn't find anyone better for the part

+Mat: Jared Padalecki (Supernatural)

-Perrin: Chad Michael Murray (One Tree Hill) -- not bulky enough

Egwene: Sophie Bush (One Tree Hill)

+Nynaeve: Reiko Aylesworth (24)

Moiraine: Jaqueline McKenzie (The 4400)

+Lan: Clancy Brown (Highlander: The Movie)

Thom: Sam Elliot (Roadhouse)

Loial: Anthony Robbins (Shallow Hal)

Elayne: Hilarie Burton (One Tree Hill)

Min: Colleen Haskell (The Animal)

Aviendha: Danneel Harris (One Tree Hill)

+Suian: Samantha Ferris (The 4400)

Morgase: Naomi Watts (King Kong)

Leane: Leah Cairns (Battlestar Galactica)

Faile: Grace Park (Battlestar Galactica)

Verin: Melanie Lynskey (Ever After)

-Cadsuane: Anjelica Houston (Ever After) -- may be too old for the part

Gawyn: Patrick Flueger (The 4400)

Galad: Orlando Bloom (Pirates of the Caribean)

Gareth Bryne: Joel Gretsch (The 4400)

+Logain: Tahmoh Penikett (Battlestar Galactica)

+Damer Flinn: Glenn Morshower (24)

+Mazrim Taim: Naveen Andrews (Lost)

Noal: Anthony Hopkins (The Mask of Zorro)

Bayle Domon: John Rhys-Davies (Raiders of the Lost Arc)

Tuon: Megalyn Echikumwoke (The 4400)

Berelain: Shannon Elizabeth (American Pie)

Faolain: Mary Lynn Rajskub (24)

THE BAD GUYS:

-Paden Fain: Steve Bushemi (Armageddon) -- couldn't find out who was the wierdo pirate on Waterworld

+Ishamael: Allen Rickman (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves)

Rahvin: Billy Zane (Titanic)

Moridin: Michael Wincott (The Crow)

Lanfear: Catherine Zeta-Jones (The Mask of Zorro)

+Cyndane: Elisha Cuthbert (The Girl Next Door)

+Asmodean: James Morrison (24) -- HATE to make him a bad guy hehe

Graendel: Scarlett Johannson (The Island)

Sammael: Kenneth Branagh (Frankenstein)

Be'lal: Christopher Lee (Star Wars)

Mesaana: Gates McFadden (Star Trek TNG)

Aginor: Kurtwood Smith (That 70's Show)

Semirhage: Angela Bassett (Waiting to Exhale)

Osan'gar: Willem Defoe (Spiderman)

Aran'gar: Angelina Jolie (Tomb Raider)

-Elaida: Carolyn Seymour (Quantum Leap) -- now too old

+Liandrin: Megan Dodd (Ever After)

+Mesema/The Prophet: Tommy J. Flanagan (Braveheart)

Balthamel: Richard O’Brien (Ever After)

I just created this account so sorry to bust in like this but this is the way I see it.

I think the actor and actresses for the movies/series would be best if it were unknown actors. Unknown doesn't neceserily mean bad ones. Orlando Bloom finished actors school just before he got his role in the Lord of the Rings.

Every time there is a movie of a certain story, for example the War of the Worlds. The movie, for me, fades away because of Tom Cruise. He is TOO famous. He is Mission Impossible. For me, he is Ethan Hunt, not Ray Ferrier.

If you use all those actors for the Wheel of Time, somehow you connect them to their famous storymovies.

For ex. If I would see Hayden Christensen as Rand, I would connect him to Anakin.

Also, there are many parts. In the first part they are mere farmboys. Not really experience demanding roles for neither of the characters. Their experience would grow in the making of the film, which would be both real life as the story.

So, if you ask me: Use unknown people to play the role, don't use famous actors, they will become the fa<e of the movie, not the story.

We all pretty much agree that unknowns would be best if this movie actually was getting made, both for budget reasons and because of typecasting. We're just having fun fantasizing about it really. Comparing notes on how we picture the characters in our minds. :D

Well dang' date=' I guess I'm not the only one that "visualizes" the characters as I'm reading the books hehe

(Disclaimer: those names with the - in front signify ones that I'm not entirely sure of, while + means ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT QUESTION :D )

THE GOOD GUYS:

-Rand: Hayden Christensen (Star Wars) -- don't like him as Rand, but couldn't find anyone better for the part

Not just "NO" but "HELL NO !!!!" Ed Speelers instead !

+Mat: Jared Padalecki (Supernatural)

Sean Astin! Matt IS Samwise (plus he has the shoulders!)

-Perrin: Chad Michael Murray (One Tree Hill) -- not bulky enough

Egwene: Sophie Bush (One Tree Hill)

+Nynaeve: Reiko Aylesworth (24)

Moiraine: Jaqueline McKenzie (The 4400)

Nope = how about Mira Furlan (DeLenn) Remember,

Moiraine is a small woman

+Lan: Clancy Brown (Highlander: The Movie)

Vigo Mortensen! (I know LAN is NOT Aaragorn. Lan's

much darker)

Thom: Sam Elliot (Roadhouse)

Sean Connery!!

Loial: Anthony Robbins (Shallow Hal)

Elayne: Hilarie Burton (One Tree Hill)

Min: Colleen Haskell (The Animal)

Aviendha: Danneel Harris (One Tree Hill)

+Suian: Samantha Ferris (The 4400)

Camile Savoy (Kai Opaka from DS9!)

Morgase: Naomi Watts (King Kong)

Leane: Leah Cairns (Battlestar Galactica)

Faile: Grace Park (Battlestar Galactica)

Verin: Melanie Lynskey (Ever After)

-Cadsuane: Anjelica Houston (Ever After) -- may be too old for the part

Dame Judi Dench!

Gawyn: Patrick Flueger (The 4400)

Galad: Orlando Bloom (Pirates of the Caribean)

Gareth Bryne: Joel Gretsch (The 4400)

+Logain: Tahmoh Penikett (Battlestar Galactica)

Flinn: Glenn Morshower (24)

+Mazrim Taim: Naveen Andrews (Lost)

Mazrin Tiam is described as being powerfully build.

How about Everett McGill ("Stilgar" from David Lynch's "Dune" ) ?

Noal: Anthony Hopkins (The Mask of Zorro)

Bayle Domon: John Rhys-Davies (Raiders of the Lost Arc)

Tuon: Megalyn Echikumwoke (The 4400)

Berelain: Shannon Elizabeth (American Pie)

Faolain: Mary Lynn Rajskub (24)

Birgit - Lucy Lawless!!!!! (XENA!)

THE BAD GUYS:

-Paden Fain: Steve Bushemi (Armageddon) -- couldn't find out who was the wierdo pirate on Waterworld

+Ishamael: Allen Rickman (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves)

Rahvin: Billy Zane (Titanic)

Moridin: Michael Wincott (The Crow)

Lanfear: Catherine Zeta-Jones (The Mask of Zorro)

+Cyndane: Elisha Cuthbert (The Girl Next Door)

+Asmodean: James Morrison (24) -- HATE to make him a bad guy hehe

Graendel: Scarlett Johannson (The Island)

Sammael: Kenneth Branagh (Frankenstein)

Be'lal: Christopher Lee (Star Wars)

Mesaana: Gates McFadden (Star Trek TNG)

Aginor: Kurtwood Smith (That 70's Show)

Semirhage: Angela Bassett (Waiting to Exhale)

Osan'gar: Willem Defoe (Spiderman)

Aran'gar: Angelina Jolie (Tomb Raider)

-Elaida: Carolyn Seymour (Quantum Leap) -- now too old

+Liandrin: Megan Dodd (Ever After)

+Mesema/The Prophet: Brad Dourif!!

Balthamel: Richard O’Brien (Ever After)[/quote']

What say you ?

ND: -Rand: Hayden Christensen (Star Wars) -- don't like him as Rand, but couldn't find anyone better for the part

KH: Not just "NO" but "HELL NO !!!!" Ed Speelers instead !

ND: Good catch. I still haven't seen Eragon, so I wasn't familiar with that guy.

ND: +Mat: Jared Padalecki (Supernatural)

KH: Sean Astin! Matt IS Samwise (plus he has the shoulders!)

ND: Reason I picked Jared is because Sean is always either too serious or bumbling. Jared is a practical joker :)

ND: Nynaeve

Beckon: Nynaeve - Natalie Portman (*grumble*)

ND: Possibly, but Natalie doesn't do pissed-off very well, and that is REQUIRED for Nynaeve :P

ND: Moiraine: Jaqueline McKenzie (The 4400)

KH: Nope = how about Mira Furlan (DeLenn) Remember, Moiraine is a small woman

ND: Possibly, except Mira is far too old, and her face is too severe. Jaqueline, while not a perfect choice, can pull off "serene" real well.

ND: +Lan: Clancy Brown (Highlander: The Movie)

KH: Vigo Mortensen! (I know LAN is NOT Aaragorn. Lan's much darker)

ND: I thought so too, but Lan is tall and made out of solid ROCK!!! Clancy's "Kurgen" in "Highlander" is a closer fit IMO

ND: Thom: Sam Elliot (Roadhouse)

KH: Sean Connery!!

ND: Not cocky enough :wink:

ND: +Suian: Samantha Ferris (The 4400)

KH: Camile Savoy (Kai Opaka from DS9!)

ND: Siuan is no-nonsense at the same time as being handsome (on the verge of beautiful). Samantha carries this off without a hitch.

ND: -Cadsuane: Anjelica Houston (Ever After) -- may be too old for the part

KH: Dame Judi Dench!

ND: Quite possibly, but again too old. Need someone who can look old and young at the same time.

ND: +Mazrim Taim: Naveen Andrews (Lost)

KH: Mazrin Tiam is described as being powerfully build. How about Everett McGill ("Stilgar" from David Lynch's "Dune" ) ?

ND: Yeah, he'd be another good one, but still too old, eyes ain't tilted, and not dark.

KH: Birgit - Lucy Lawless!!!!! (XENA!)

ND: Good catch, but I'd have touble seeing Lucy with platinum blonde hair hahaha The whole Galactica look (though it looks good on her) has got me thrown :shock:

ND: Berelain: Shannon Elizabeth

Beckon: Berelain - Shannon Sossamon

ND: Could go either way on that one... they're both beautiful and intense :wink:

ND: +Mesema/The Prophet: Tommy J. Flanagan (Braveheart)

KH: +Mesema/The Prophet: Brad Dourif!!

ND: Okay, I'll admit that the reason I said Tommy is the scar he has on his face hehe Brad is an excellent fit :D

What did you think of the other ones I posted? You can check their images on Google.com

NOTE: Edited for content

Sean Astin as Mat: would it be too inappropriate if I were to physically scream that he is IN HIS MID-FREAKING-THIRTIES? Plus, where do you get that Mat = Sam? They are two completely different characters!

Also: The presence of the entire cast of One Tree Hill on this list is problematic. You know, Sophia Bush is the only cast member I've ever heard any compliments about regarding acting ability.

Anyway, the man can't hold an accent. His LotR accent was all over the place.

David Bowie as any moderately normal character: is this possible in this universe? That's why I was going Fain, that guy is all over the board.

I don't see Sean Astin hooking up with every barmaid from the Dragonwall to the Aryth Ocean and I certainly don't see him as a person that Tylin would go lusting after.

I could possibly see Sean Astin as Hurin. If there is any character in WOT that is even remotely like Samwise Gamgee it is Hurin but I think he is suposed to be older than that.

Anyway' date=' the man can't hold an accent. His LotR accent was all over the place.

David Bowie as any moderately normal character: is this possible in this universe? That's why I was going Fain, that guy is all over the board.[/quote']

I don't know I think Bowie is actually too gracefull to be Fain. The roles I could see Bowie in would be Asmodean, Ishameal (but not Moridin) Valan Luca, or possibly Thom. Unfortunatly, he would not be my first choice for any of those roles.

Nor mine, really. It was more just going with "If David Bowie were in this movie..." I didn't see The Prestige, I heard he was pretty good as Nikolai Tesla. I think he'd be too old for Asmodean. None of the Forsaken (with the immediate exception of Aginor) are supposed to really look past middle age, Be'lal's white hair notwithstanding.

Sean Astin as Mat: would it be too inappropriate if I were to physically scream that he is IN HIS MID-FREAKING-THIRTIES? Plus' date=' where do you get that Mat = Sam? They are two completely different characters!

Also: The presence of the entire cast of One Tree Hill on this list is problematic. You know, Sophia Bush is the only cast member I've ever heard any compliments about regarding acting ability.[/quote']

Agreed, and agreed.

Even in his younger years, Sean Astin never had much of a prankster mystique to him. Jared Padalecki, on the other hand, is absolutely HILARIOUS in his chemistry with his on-screen brother, Jensen Ackles, in "Supernatural". Plus you got the somewhat curly hair and the mischevious smirk.

As to the One Tree Hill thing, after plugging in Sophia Bush, I had a hard time with Perrin and Elayne, so I went back to OTH for the actors. Danneel Harris for Avi, on the other hand... well, she's just frikkin hot, and I think her "I don't give a $#!^" attitude would hold well with the Maidens :D

And David Bowie? Ishamael, no doubt about it.

ND: -Rand: Hayden Christensen (Star Wars) -- don't like him as Rand' date=' but couldn't find anyone better for the part

[b']KH[/b]: Not just "NO" but "HELL NO !!!!" Ed Speelers instead !

ND: Good catch. I still haven't seen Eragon, so I wasn't familiar with that guy.

ND: +Mat: Jared Padalecki (Supernatural)

KH: Sean Astin! Matt IS Samwise (plus he has the shoulders!)

Okay - I screwed up .... I mixed up Mat with Perin

Sorry! Sean Astin for Perrin

Mat would need to be roughish just as you said,

how about Bruce Campbell (anyone remember his

thief character from "Hercules - the legendary journeys".

ND: Reason I picked Jared is because Sean is always either too serious or bumbling. Jared is a practical joker :)

ND: Nynaeve

Beckon: Nynaeve - Natalie Portman (*grumble*)

ND: Possibly, but Natalie doesn't do pissed-off very well, and that is REQUIRED for Nynaeve :P

ND: Moiraine: Jaqueline McKenzie (The 4400)

KH: Nope = how about Mira Furlan (DeLenn) Remember, Moiraine is a small woman

ND: Possibly, except Mira is far too old, and her face is too severe. Jaqueline, while not a perfect choice, can pull off "serene" real well.

Did you see her in Babylon 5? She wasn't bad looking!

ND: +Lan: Clancy Brown (Highlander: The Movie)

KH: Vigo Mortensen! (I know LAN is NOT Aaragorn. Lan's much darker)

ND: I thought so too, but Lan is tall and made out of solid ROCK!!! Clancy's "Kurgen" in "Highlander" is a closer fit IMO

I still say Vigo Mortensen OR Karl Urban

ND: Thom: Sam Elliot (Roadhouse)

KH: Sean Connery!!

ND: Not cocky enough :wink:

Yeah, but he sure knows about slapping women!! ;)

ND: +Suian: Samantha Ferris (The 4400)

KH: Camile Savoy (Kai Opaka from DS9!)

ND: Siuan is no-nonsense at the same time as being handsome (on the verge of beautiful). Samantha carries this off without a hitch.

ND: -Cadsuane: Anjelica Houston (Ever After) -- may be too old for the part

KH: Dame Judi Dench!

ND: Quite possibly, but again too old. Need someone who can look old and young at the same time.

ND: +Mazrim Taim: Naveen Andrews (Lost)

KH: Mazrin Tiam is described as being powerfully build. How about Everett McGill ("Stilgar" from David Lynch's "Dune" ) ?

ND: Yeah, he'd be another good one, but still too old, eyes ain't tilted, and not dark.

KH: Birgit - Lucy Lawless!!!!! (XENA!)

ND: Good catch, but I'd have touble seeing Lucy with platinum blonde hair hahaha The whole Galactica look (though it looks good on her) has got me thrown :shock:

Her natural hair color IS Blonde! She dyed it dark brown for Xena. Either her or Hudson Leike ("Calisto" from Xena)

ND: Berelain: Shannon Elizabeth

Beckon: Berelain - Shannon Sossamon

ND: Could go either way on that one... they're both beautiful and intense :wink:

ND: +Mesema/The Prophet: Tommy J. Flanagan (Braveheart)

KH: +Mesema/The Prophet: Brad Dourif!!

ND: Okay, I'll admit that the reason I said Tommy is the scar he has on his face hehe Brad is an excellent fit :D

What did you think of the other ones I posted? You can check their images on Google.com

NOTE: Edited for content

how about Bruce Campbell (anyone remember his

thief character from "Hercules - the legendary journeys".

Bruce Campbell is 50 years old. We are just fantasizing here but geez. That would make Mat older than Moiraine. Even if you go as old as Sean Astin for Perrin (which you can't because he's TWICE as old as Perrin when the series begins), that would still leave you with a Mat who's nearly 20 years older. Then you're gonna have a 20-something year old Nynaeve reminiscing about paddling the bottom of a guy old enough to be her father. The three have to be the same age to within a few weeks of each other.

Bumping this thread' date=' I think I want Christopher Lambert as Ishamael. He's a scary man.[/color']

Christopher Lambert would be a good one to have in the movie, but I'm not sure Ishamael would be a good fit for him. Ishamael is described as being "in his prime", and Lambert most definitely is NOT hehe I would think that he would play an EXCELLENT Luc, however.

And since we're on Luc, here's another suggestion for Lan... Karl Urban, of LotR/Chronicles of Riddick fame. I think KH had something there with his suggestion.

He's only about fifty, and the last I saw of him, he still looked pretty good for fifty. I've seen people looking much worse for their age suggested for the Forsaken. I had considered him for Lan - Karl Urban seems a little young - but put a sword in his hands and you've got Highlander redux.

Archived