DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Could the name Robert Jordan be an altered anagram for Dragon Reborn?

Jardius

It just occurred to me that the name Robert Jordan could actually be an altered anagram for Dragon Reborn. Well, it would be "Drajon Rebort" but I think is close enough. Like what you would obtain if trying to make an anagram for Dragon Reborn that sounded actually like a real name.

I know Robert Jordan picked the pseudonym years before the first WoT book got published and I thinkt he never actually said anything about any sort of anagram, but still it seems like a huge coincidence.

Has anyone thought about this before? I've been searching the forums but I haven't found anything about this topic. But I'm new here, so maybe I don't know how to search properly ^_^u

What do you think about it?

Possibly. What I do know is this; Robert Jordan is the name of the main character in Hemingways "For Whom the Bell Tolls". So, I've always thought it was more of a nod to Hemingway than anything else. 

22 minutes ago, Fox said:

Possibly. What I do know is this; Robert Jordan is the name of the main character in Hemingways "For Whom the Bell Tolls". So, I've always thought it was more of a nod to Hemingway than anything else. 

George RR Martin also named a mentioned character in ASOIF Trebor Jordayne a member of House Jordayne after his close friend.

2 hours ago, Fox said:

Haven't read ASoIF, surprisingly, but that is a pretty cool little fact. 

I have only read it once and that was years ago, didn’t pick up the reference at the time but read about it somewhere later.

The character doesn’t actually appear in the books but is mentioned by another character. 

On 5/19/2020 at 11:11 PM, Fox said:

Yes! I found out about that recently, but I read in an interview that he didn't used it for that reason. By the answer he provides it sounds more of a coincidence...

"Question 37

What made you decide on Robert Jordan as your pseudonym? Is it Hemingway? — Ishamael

No, it wasn't Hemingway. I simply wanted to separate the different kinds of books that I wrote with different names, and I made lists of names with my real initials and picked one name from one list and one from another, and Robert Jordan was one of the names that popped out."

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Source:SciFi_Channel_Chat_at_Dragon*Con_97,_28_June_1997