DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[White Ajah Fantasy Week] Labyrinth! ~ Everything Bowie (discussion)

Rhea

n-GOBLIN-KING-628x314.jpg

Are you a David Bowie fan like me? Do you know much about the man?

Here's a little background...

David Robert Jones was born in Brixton on January 8, 1947. At age 13, inspired by the jazz of the London West End, he picked up the saxophone and called up Ronnie Ross for lessons. Early bands he played with – The Kon-Rads, The King Bees, the Mannish Boys and the Lower Third –provided him with an introduction into the showy worlds of pop and mod, and by 1966 he was David Bowie, with long hair and aspirations of stardom rustling about his head. Kenneth Pitt signed on as his manager, and his career began with a handful of mostly forgotten singles and a head full of ideas. It was not until 1969 that the splash onto the charts would begin, with the legendary Space Oddity (which peaked at  #5 in the UK). Amidst his musical wanderings in the late '60s, the young Bowie experimented with mixed media, cinema, mime, Tibetan Buddhism, acting and love. A first rock album, originally titled David Bowie then subsequently re-titled Man of Words, Man of Music and again as Space Oddity, paid homage to the kaleidoscopic influences of the London artistic scene, while hinting at a songwriting talent that was about to yield some of rock n roll's finest and most distinctive work--even if it would take the rest of the world a few years to catch up.

What is your favorite memory of David Bowie? Was it his movies? Music? Maybe it was his outrageous outfits? Lets talk!

His 9/11 concert and his personal sacrifice (being sick as a dog leading up and during the concert) to perform there, it made "Heroes" my favorite song of his.

To be honest, up until then I just knew him as that crazy rock artist who wrote that annoying song "Changes" that got played way too often.  After he performed that "Heroes" song I started listening more to his songs and learning more about him.  Heh, I hadn't even seen Labyrinth until that concert.  Decided to finally give it a dive.

The movie would have been more impactful if I had seen in when I was a kid but I still enjoyed it very much, especially as a Jim Henson fan.

I loved that he kept performing even when he was so sick. He was one of the greatest in my opinion. I wish I had gotten to see him in concert. 

The Man Who Sold The World was the first David Bowie album recorded as an entity unto itself and marks ground zero of the first definitive creative stretch to come. Mick Ronson's guitars are often referred to as the birth point of heavy metal, and certainly the auspicious beginnings of glam rock can be traced here. The album was released by Mercury in April 1971 to minimal fanfare and Bowie took his first trip to the United States to promote it that spring. In May of the same year, Duncan Zowie Haywood Bowie was born to David and his then wife Angela.

Apr 3, 2014 - "I was simply blown away when I found out that Kurt Cobain liked my work, and i always wanted to talk to him about his reasons for covering 'Man Who Sold the World.' It was a good straightforward rendition and sounded somehow very honest. It would have been real nice to have worked with him, but just talking would have been real cool." David Bowie

This is my favorite Bowie song. It was 1983 and I was soooo into MTV back then. I couldn't wait for them to play this! I had to get the record and I played it over and over in my room and danced and danced.

• Elgee locked this topic