DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What is the Big Unnoticed Thing? (spoilers)

JenniferL

Regarding the BUT i always thought it was Narishma pulling callendor out of the stone of tear, effectively naming him as one who would follow after him. Ive searched through a lot of posts recently looking for one on the topic and as far as i could find Luckers was the only one who ever brought it up and it was in an interview with sanderson. Im not going to actualy quote it because honestly i dont have time to find it again (its fight night lol) but it was something like "has Narishma fullfilled his role of following after Rand? RAFO". If there are people discussing it i would appreciate being directed to those posts, if not i guess ill have to start a thread.
Well, it's not something that I can recall being mentioned much recently, but it certainly has been discussed. The only suggestion I can recall off the top of my head is Narishma following after by becoming the new M'Hael, or similar. You're probably better off starting a new thread than trying to dig up an old one.

The weird is that if it was possible to win by luck (like trowing 6 strait), Mat would have won the game, since luck is his realm.

Didn't Mat used to have Olver throw the dice for him?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that it, seriously? Brandon said THAT is bigger than the identity of Asmodeans killer?

No offense, but I want some of what he was smoking.

Considering the way Asmodean's killer was revealed... it was bigger than that. (lol)

Asmodean's killer wasn't revealed yet so what are you talking about?

Asmodean's killer wasn't revealed yet so what are you talking about?
Aran’gar is dead, lost to us—and after the Great Lord transmigrated her soul the last time. One might think you are making a habit of this sort of thing, Graendal.

“I live to serve, Nae’blis,” she said. Confidence! She had to seem confident.

He hesitated just briefly. Good. “Surely you do not imply that Aran’gar had turned traitor.”

[...]

Moridin stepped forward, seizing her eyes with his own. “Graendal,” he said softly, dangerously. “I know the key for this one. It will not be used against me, or others of the Chosen. The Great Lord will know if you do. I do not wish your apparent habit to be indulged further, not until Aybara is dead.”

Moridin, Cyndane, Mesaana, Moghedien, and Demandred remained alive; the Chosen who had died before that point were Aginor and Balthamel, Be'lal, and Ishamael, none of which were Graendal's fault; Osan'gar, at the Cleansing, again not Graendal's fault; Lanfear, in Finnland, where she was trapped by her own fault; and then Rahvin, Asmodean, Sammael, and Semirhage. I think we can agree Semirhage was not Graendal's fault, either. That leaves Rahvin, Asmodean, and Sammael. It hardly makes sense for Moridin to blame Graendal for Sammael's death when he himself gave Rand aid in killing him. Rahvin, Graendal was involved with, and she could in some sense be blamed for his death by failing to aid him when Rand attacked, but he was no traitor. The Great Lord said, "ASMODEAN, TWISTED BY HIS WEAKNESS. RAHVIN DEAD IN HIS PRIDE. HE SERVED WELL, YET EVEN I CANNOT SAVE HIM FROM BALEFIRE." It is clear that Graendal's excuse of assassinating someone who "turned traitor" would only have been accepted for Asmodean.

And her glossary entry says "A ruthless killer, she was responsible for the deaths of Aran'gar and Asmodean and for the destruction of Mesaana." So there's that.

(I mean in Moridin's and SH's chats with Graendal, not that folly in the glossary).

That flaming folly in the glossary nearly spoiled it for me, except that I have always thought it was Graendal, so was not surprised. Serves me right to skipping to the glossary to catch up on who some of the side characters were!

• 1 year later...

I think the spear being the BUT is very accurate! When you think about it, it really should have been kind of obvious. These people lived for deals, and always struck to the letter of them, ALWAYS. We knew Matt received three things from them: Medallion, Memories, and the Spear. We knew he had three requests: Free of OP, Holes in Head Filled, and A ways out. I mean, COME ON, we really should have seen it!

Many of us did - or at least, we asked about the spear. I certainly did raise the point. Mat was 'thrown out' of 'finnland tied to it, apparently. He'd asked to be out of there, and he was.. so what was the spear for?

Trouble is, there was some misdirection going on, on the part of Team RJ - we were told that none of the suggestions made up to a certain point in the various fora had found the BUT, and the spear was one of those suggestions. This was probably accidental, there was a LOT of ground to cover.

Archived