DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Asmodean

staven2228

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moiraine and Siuan were "pillow friends" which involved a lot of snuggling under covers. And apparently it wasn't an uncommon thing among young Aes Sedai according to New Spring, so there was some lesbianism.

The whole point of the discussion was that there was only gay females portrayed and no males.

RJ pointed out that he never intended to write a "token gay" in the wot for the sake of having a gay character, but if the right character developed and could also be gay, he wouldn't hesitate to put him in. In other words; they're there, we just haven't seen any yet.

A justification that seems somewhat hollow when you consider the number of women whose lesbian relationships are worthy of mention, no matter how limited their relevance to the plot or how minor the character, while male homosexuality seems to need an excuse to include it. I don't think he was being consciously discriminatory, but it's not implausible he was sufficiently uncomfortable about the whole thing that he just found excuses to avoid mentioning the sexuality of male homosexuals.

Thoe only time so-called "lesbian relationships" are mentioned is when talking about young AS being pillow friends, and that, as far as I can recall, was only in the contect of describing two adults that used to be very close when they were young, and keeping that in mind for how closely they may communicate presently, despite outward appearances.  The male characters never had any such contect for details like this to be revealed.

I don't find it discriminatory at all that a straight male author did not think to include gay relationships in his story. Good writing doesn't mean adding in every minority and special interest group to keep everybody happy. Good writing means putting your vision on paper and to hell with everybody else. Of course--that can also make for unprofitable writing.

Archived