DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Weekly Topic: Future of the Borderlands

MasterAblar

The future of the borderlands  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the Borderlands has the brightest future?

2. 2. Will the Borderlands be united as one nation?

• Yes, all of them
    • Yes, some of them
    • No, none of them
  3. 3. Which nation or organisation do you see the Borderlands allying with in some manner?

• Arad Doman
    • Andor and Cairhien
    • The Two Rivers
    • Ghealdan
    • Tear
    • Illian
    • Murandy
    • The Aiel
    • The Seanchan (including their conquered territories)
    • The White Tower
    • The Black Tower
    • The Kin
    • Mayene
    • The Sea Folk
    • Far Madding
    • Shara (hey you never know)

Like the quote said, "[Rand] seemed to want anyone here who might rise to a position of leadership to have their names on the document." Leadership doesn't require a country or throne, only followers. Rand was aware of Lan's army at that point, so it'd be odd to have someone like Gawyn sign but no one to represent the Malkieri. According to Brandon, RJ's notes placed Dobraine at Merrilor when Rand and Egwene clashed, but Brandon never mentioned Dobraine anywhere in AMoL. So it's hard to say whether Malkier was intentionally left out of the treaty or it's just another detail that Brandon neglected to add.

Lan isn't "rising" to a position of anything. He's already a king, except his nation happens to be dead. The only way he can "rise" now is is Malkier is allowed to be reinstated, which seems likely. That said, even if they didn't sign and "became" king of a nation he is already king of, Lan would be unlikely to ignore the Dragon's Peace for a lot of equally obvious reasons.

I expect the future is kind of bleak, but well, so are most country's futures given the spoilage etc... Though the borderlands are worse hit, their southern edge is wholly empty save near the Saldaean-Domani border. Before Andor or Cairhien could bother them they'd have to grow massively... at which point the borderland nations might well be living again.

I expect the border to maintain good ties with the two Towers, and with their longer lifespans, the Towers will remember their service for at least a millenium (part from the living, part from direct teaching from those who were there). The two rivers, too, will be a natural friend, and I expect civilization to return to the lands between Saldaea and Baerlon as first of the great 'recolonizations'. Saldaea, I think, will be relatively powerful, but apart from that, the world will change before the other borderlands fade away.

I'm sure Lan would both sign and honor the Peace. I'm sure every signatory would welcome a new nation. But, if the borderlands started uniting together, under fewer crowns, others might say "Hey, why are borders changing?".

Arafel might consider it, but Saldaea has no reason to, and irrc, Kandor and Sheinar are pretty much gone now. Given that both nations are subject to the Dragon's Peace, I suspect they'd run into a big stone wall if they tried to empower their nations anymore than they already are by consolidating with Malkeir, given that they're already bordering on the most valuable resource in the world - food.

Archived