DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An uncertain welcome (open)

Maurelle

Tywin was lost. This was nothing new really. He had been lost in one way or another ever since that day at the gallows. He closed his green eyes against the image that always flashed behind his eyes at the memory. The creak of the wood, the swinging feet... Taking a deep breath, he rolled his head along his shoulders. Right, well, there was little he could do about his father's fate. He needed to concentrate on the here and now. Especially, since he had seen the look the desk  sergeant tried to repress as he put his name down in that thick leather book. It would be easier to concentrate on the here if he could figure out just where here was.

Right, well, the last servant he had managed to flag down-a task considering that apparently wearing the white flame made these servants even more pompous than the ones in a aristocratic inn-had gestured in this direction when he had asked after the training grounds where he was supposed to report. It probably didn't help that they hadn't found a uniform for him yet, and the only clothes he had were the ones he was wearing. Running one hand through his hair, he started whistling. Oh well, they couldn't very well censure him if they hadn't even bothered to show him where he was supposed to be reporting, could they?

Whistling a jonty little tune he headed off in the general direction last pointed out to him.

Kynwric was heading down from the Green's quarters when he ran across a ruddy headed, scrawny youngster whistling his way through the halls of the White Tower. He paused as he watched the lad glance this way and that as he made his way deeper and deeper into the tower and the thought crossed Kyn's mind to just let him keep going until one of the Sisters found him and straightened him out entirely. But at that notion he recalled the Reds had duty in the audience chamber today an d no matter his thought of the amusement he wouldn't let any boy come under those women's hard questions. So he stopped and turned his head, then his body to face the young man. "Oi, boy. Where d'ya think you're going? There's nothing up there but trouble and more trouble, if you were an intelligent one I'd say you should scurry back out of the Tower and the City the way you came before some Sister finds you here and throws you out, or worse decides to hand you over to the Mistress of Novices for a proper eudcation."

Tywin raised an eyebrow at the other man, uncertain just how he should react. He knew he was on the bottom of the trolloc pile here, but it had been so long since he had been it was hard to remember how to act. But the idea of being handed over to the Mistress of Novices-whoever that was-made him grimace. He just wanted to make it to the bloody training yard!

"Boy? Hardly," the words were eased by a smile letting the other knew he thought the term a joke. "I'm new and looking for the training yard. Got turned around a couple times-what with the way everything is white..." He shrugged displaying empty hands.

"It may all look white, Boy," Kyn  said,emphasizing the word, "but you'll learn soon enough that even the driven snow has it's colors and facets." Kyn raised his arm and pointed back the way the young man had just come. "The yards are that way, them being outside the tower proper and all." Kyn had already given Tywin an appraising look as he spoke, he'd seen the like of this one come and go from the yards for years now. They all dreamed of being a Warder and wearing the cloak and wearing the sword, but none of them that left and some who stayed had any idea what that actually meant. "Come on, not that I have time, but I'll not have any trainee caught by the Reds and never be seen of again on his very first day in the yards." Kyn turned on his heel and began to stride down the hallway, after a few steps he said without turning his head, "well, come on Boy, you said you wanted to find the yards."

Ok, someone was a little touchy. Not that it was his problem. He was, after all, following directions given to him. If they had bothered to have someone show him where to go instead of just giving him vague directions...He rolled his shoulders and let it go. It could be some kind of odd test, though. Which raised the question of whether he had passed or failed. Not that he could do anything about it now. Shoving hands into his pockets he followed the other man a step behind. Perhaps the other man wanted difference shown him-not that Tywin had seen anything that made him want to give such difference. Mostly, the other man had just been grumpy. Maybe that was what dealing with Aes Sedai all the time did-made you permanently grumpy. What a horrifying thought. As for being called boy...Well, there were worse things and he'd been called most of them over the years. It only mattered if you let it matter.

"Thank you for the help," being polite never hurt anyone. Maybe he could ask some questions and get some answers. Assuming the other would stop acting like a cat given an unexpected bath. "I'm Tywin." There. He'd find out quick if the other man was willing to help him beyond taking him to the yard. Not that he expected friendship. It would be like being friends with stinging thistle. But maybe he could have someone he could ask questions of without being made a fool. Not that it seemed likely, but trying, like being polite, never hurt.

Kyn led the young man through the halls and out across the colonnade that led down into the yard. There were men working in the yards with jjust ab out every imaginable fighting style, but most used swords of some type or another. "You're welcome, now get your scrawny self down there and get to work." He pointed out the trainer working the yard today, "See that woman," pointing out Kilrin from the crowd. "That is the Master at Arms and she will sort you out properly. When you're ready for a spar, seek me out. I'm Kynwric Gaidin,"

Tywin gave a two fingered salute (OOC: the salute they give in the books not the other one...) and a smile. He doubted that he would be able to take on the other as an opponent any time soon, but he took the offer for the grudging sign of someone willing to help him as long as he put the work in. Maybe life in the Tower wouldn't be too bad. Maybe he'd be able to give his father his last wish. Not that it was terribly specific. Just him taking a job in the Tower.  How like his father to know that he needed to be able to make of it what he wanted instead of locking him into a path. He moved cautiously towards the woman holding on to the good humor from the note he had left Kynwric on.

Kilrin watched the Tower Guards before her go through their forms, occasionally offering suggestions or admonishments. Laziness during forms was a trait that belonged at the very bottom of list, right next to dead. She expected a honest attempt at perfection with a side morsel of dedication and focus. After all, these men and women would eventually be sent out into the world, either on an expedition or as bonded to an Aes Sedai. Either way, it was her responsibility to ensure that they had the knowledge and tools to survive.

A boy approached her cautiously and from the looks of it, it was a new enlistment. Kilrin turned towards the Guards and barked, "Alright, soldiers! Time for your endurance exercise!" Groans met her announcement. "Get to it! I'll make sure you spend the rest of your career tending to farm animals!!"

With the students now off to their next exercise, she turned towards the newcomer, waiting for him to speak.

Groans ringing in his ears, Tywin had to wonder for a moment if he had been slightly unhinged by his grief in order to going along with this. Honestly, what had been thinking? Well, there was nothing for it now. He was here and being stared at by one of the toughest looking women he had seen in his life and he had grown up on the rougher side of Caemyln.

"I was told to report here by the desk sergeant, Lady,"  he stated simply. He bit the corner of his lips in order to keep a nervous smile back. Somehow, he had a feeling smiling at this woman would not be the best first impression.

Kilrin raised her eyebrow at the boy before her as she folded her arms across her chest. He seemed obviously nervous and she saw some doubt creep into his eyes. She took in his appearance and he seemed to be a scuffler, with the scars on his knuckles and the odd angle of his nose. "Aye, you're in the right place then. But we aren't in the habit of taking in just anyone." Well, that wasn't necessarily true but she had to figure out a way to weed out those who had the mettle for this life and those who just wanted glory and fame. So far, just being intimidating seemed to do the trick.

"I'm Kilrin Seail, Master at Arms of the White Tower and Warder Yards. The next two years of your life is going to be painful, miserable, and difficult but the end reward is to be a Tower Guard, protecting the White Tower in the name of the Light and Creator, and those who serve. You still interested?"

A slow full smile bloomed on his face at her words. Honestly, painful, miserable, and difficult? How was that different from the life he had been leading. Maybe his father was onto something. At least for the next two years-he was assuming that was training-he'd have a roof over his head and a full belly. Granted, he was going to have to work hard to curb his sticky fingers. There was bound to be plenty of temptation in the Tower. He rolled his shoulders to release the tension that had built there.

"Why not?" The corner of his mouth stayed quirked as the smile left. His tone was serious despite the look. "Tywin Gale, Mistress. Not sure how much you have to work with-though I do know a little something about street fights."

Kilrin couldn't put her finger on it but somehow she liked this boy. He seemed to be a glutton for punishment, the way he smiled at her statement of pain, misery, and difficulty. Those character types usually were the best students and very often, snatched up by an Aes Sedai as soon as they were promoted.

"Hard to do street fights with a Trolloc, Tywin." She couldn't just place him without knowing what rank to put him in but she had an idea who she would request to train him. "Alright, then. Hit me, let's see how good you fight."

ooc: I'll get my other char in after this, she's a Tower Guard and will take up your training. Have you looked at the advancement page yet to decide what RPs you want to do to get more WS?

He winced a little at the idea of a street fight with a trolloc. The only good thing about it would be close quarters but that was no where near enough to out weigh the advantages a trolloc had-like poisonous fangs and foot long claws... He blinked the image away. Right,  Mistress Kilrin had asked him to hit her. Wait...Had he heard that right? Well, she had asked for it. Everything shifted as he brought his fists up-it looked something like he had been taught on the merchant train. But he was on the balls of his feet as he swung-thumb tucked underneath his curled fingers which was a lesson he had learned the hard way-aiming for her gut and he over extended.

ooc:yes. I have an idea for his choice (I'll need to float it by an aes sedai too)-I want him to either get caught stealing something or trying to sneak into an aes sedai's rooms. He really needs to conquer those klepto tendencies. I'm leaning towards the flame and the void-so I'll need to find one of those to mentor and a knives instructor...

ooc: sorry for the wait. been a hell day at work. a RP and a drink, perfect remedy :) Am bringing my TG in so we can move along.

ic:

Kilrin easily sidestepped Tywin's overexerted attack, the many years of training allowing her to spin around his punch. The boy stumbled before straightening himself and she spoke before he could try again. "I've seen enough. THe correct word for your... ability is brawling which is something we eradicate from the minds of those who enter the Yards."

She spotted a young Tower Guard nearby, she knew of the girl's background of being an orphan, left to fend for herself on the streets. Perhaps she had something to teach Tywin. "Coraman!" The beckoned woman winced slightly before trotting up to the pair, a short bow. "Mistress Kilrin."

"I want you to take Tywin under your wing. Show him around the Yards, find a spare bed, and train him up. Twyin, my door is always open although I'm never there. If you need something that Coraman can't help with, come see me. We take care of our own around here."

"As you command, Mistress." Kilrin nodded briefly before walking away.

~*~*~*~*~

Coraman took a quick survey of the newcomer before her as he watched Kilrin walk away. That was a hard woman but after a while, you learned more of her and gained a deeper appreciation.

"Tywin, is it?" She offered her hand with a smirk, hoping to ease the possible nervousness and tension of being in a new place surrounded by strangers. To her, it was second nature but she had no clue of Tywin's background. "I'm Coraman Kera, newly raised Tower Guard. Did you get your room assignment yet?"

Right, well, there sure were a lot of women here. Women who could clearly grind him into the dirt. And these weren't even the ones who could channel... He'd adapt. He had to. He would not wash out just because these women were a mite intimidating. Smiling at the woman he had a feeling would be his new bosom buddy-at least until he had the lay of the land-he took her hand. It was second nature to take stock of what was on her wrists and forearm, though he didn't take anything.

"Yeah, that's my name," Tywin said. "Didn't get a room assignment or anything really. Bloody ashes, I didn't even get a uniform." He gestured towards the travel stained clothes he wore. They weren't that bad-he'd worn worse-but they weren't exactly the nicest looking things either.

Coraman let out a laugh and gestured for him to follow towards the barracks. "You wouldn't be the first. We have people come from all walks of life, from rags to riches. But here, they all wear the same gear. Training gear." They reached a door on the side of the barracks and she entered first into a room with clothes, boots, and belts scattered throughout on tables, walls, and dummies. A man turned towards them, glaring. "Master." She nodded her head towards him before gesturing towards Tywin. He shuffled up to the boy with a measuring tape, making quick work of his measurements, muttering to himself all the while. "You'll get enough to last you for a few months." Cora smirked, "By then, you'll need a new change of clothes, either from growth or abuse."

Just as measurements were done, they headed towards the living quarters. Cora showed him where the general area was and the way to the mess hall. "Dinner's at the sixth bell, sharp or there will be nothing left by the seventh bell." They climbed a stair up and Coraman headed straight to the room next to her own. "My room's there. This one's empty. A set of twins just got bonded to a Green and moved up to her quarters." She opened up the door and stepped aside, leaning on the edge of the dresser. "It's not much but it'll be your home for a while." She studied the boy for a bit. "So where you from?"

Tywin was quickly coming to the conclusion that everyone was going to poke and prod him before the day was out. But, hey, he was getting new clothes which was not a common experience for him. And she said more in a few months. Hopefully, it would be from putting on a little bit of weight. The street life was not exactly a good one for seeing you reach your full body potential. He took in the new room and the information. It was just a little smaller than than what he had rented out in New City, so it wouldn't be too much of an adjustment there.

"I'm from New City," he said sitting on the bed next to the blankets folded at the end. Realizing that not everyone outside of Caemlyn would realize it was even divided by new and old, he corrected himself. "Caemlyn." He smiled at the memories of home-the good ones out weighing the bad always. "This is the farthest I've ever been outside the city gates. You?"

Coraman never even heard of the 'New City' until Tywin explained. She always wanted to go Caemlyn and see the palace, she heard that only the White Tower bested it in glory but she preferred to see for herself. "Tar Valon, the city of the White Tower." She gestured outside the window, "I grew up in the streets until a couple years before joining the Guards, I was adopted by an Innkeeper and lived a stone throw away from the White Tower gates. I've never even been outside of the city except on training."

A part of her was envious of Tywin - at least he had the chance to get out and explore the world before deciding to join the Guards. This was all she had known since she was 16; now she was 21, 5 years of her life spent behind these walls. If only she'd get over her fear of Aes Sedai, maybe one of them would actually bond her and she'd get to get out and explore. "Anyways we'll have plenty of time to learn more about each other. I have to meet my mentor for training. The baths is down the hall, get yourself settled in and meet me outside the barracks at first light for your first day."

ooc: we'll go ahead and get started on basic fitness and movements, want to get this done before my moving day in a couple weeks so you don't have to wait around for me :)

"I'll see you then, Coraman," Tywin said the idea of a bath sounding good. That and a full stomach. It was nice to know that he wasn't the only one who knew what it meant to be hungry and wet while others weren't. Maybe they'd enjoy sharing the more enjoyable moments of street life. While he knew crime was unheard of in Tar Valon, poverty apparently wasn't. He was sure some of the things he found odd she likely would or would've when she first got here. He waited until she left before he began to make his bed. Maybe he could settle in here. He hadn't meant any Aes Sedai yet, but he could grow to like these people. Even that gruff Kynwric.

ooc: it's fine. le fin for the intro, then? I'll start a new thread to cover fitness and such. Good luck moving. I do it every 6-8 weeks and it sucks.

Edited by Maurelle