DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Failure to Deliver Leatherbound aMoL

Traijin

I have seen a few posts around the web regarding poor businees practice and the overselling of the WOT specialty leatherbound editions.  I would like to have the opportunity to have my story told.

My girlfriend preordered the book from Books-A-Million as a Christmas present for me.  The transaction was paid for and the book was never delivered.  I entered into a public email conversation with a Customer Representative from BAM.  The company has completely failed to assist or compensate for their utter lack of order organization or coordination.  I have never been treated so poorly by a company before.  I gave BAM ample opportunity to make a bad situation better, they have refused to do so.

As previously stated, the email chain is openly declared as public as you can see in the email dated 1/16/13 - 1:44PM (The final email shown directly below) Emails are in reverse order.

I have redacted the names and places.

XXXX,

This is about as disappointing as an email response could possibly be.  The book in question was purchased.  Money was deducted from the buyer’s account.  The trust is then implicitly left with the seller to complete the transaction.  BAM has completely failed to complete their end of the sale.  Due to BAM’s complete inability to coordinate sales and ordering, I and my girlfriend have had to suffer.  Furthermore, BAM, in essence, fraudulently entered into a short term loan from the buyer without the buyer’s consent or knowledge.  That kind of business practice is absolutely execrable.

We are not interested in whether the fault lies with BAM or its suppliers.  The book was purchased and paid for through BAM.  It is BAM’s responsibility to complete the sale, no one else’s.

You have not been of any help or service what so ever.

This email string is now considered public as it was never implicitly or explicitly described at any point as private or protected.

Sincerely,

XXX

Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:18 PM
To: XXX
Subject: RE: Issue Regarding Sales and Service to XXX

XXX,

I did some checking yesterday to find out about the leather bound limited edition version of A Memory of Light that was ordered.  BAM’s merchandisers nor buyer had not been informed by the publisher that they would be unable to supply our fulfillment center with the quantity that they ordered for distribution.  I also checked with our secondary fulfillment centers and found out from them that they had not received inventory on it either and don’t expect to get any based on the limited distribution.  I will continue to check with them to see if the publisher gives us any information on when/if the limited edition will be available. 

The Wheel of Time series has been a popular one for BAM customers and we are unhappy that we are not able to provide the limited edition version to you.  Please accept our apology for the frustration this has caused.  Our merchandisers are working to find out if we might receive quantity in the future from the publisher, but based on the information that I was able to find out yesterday it does not appear that we will receive any of that particular book.

I was happy to see that you were able to purchase a copy of the hardback book from our store for the signing. 

Please let  know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

XXX
Customer Service representative

www.booksamillion.com
XXX

Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:51 AM
Cc: XXX
Subject: FW: Issue Regarding Sales and Service to XXX

XXX,

Per the attached response from XXX, I understand this issue is being reviewed by you.

Is there any other information I can provide or questions you may have which I can help you with?  This whole situation continues to be difficult for my girlfriend to deal with. 

Please let me know.

I can always be reached on my cell phone at XXX

Sincerely,

XXX

Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 12:04 PM
Subject: RE: Issue Regarding Sales and Service to XXX

Chris, I am sending your inquiry to XXX, she will investigate the issue and get back with you.  Thanks!

Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 10:15 AM
To: XXXX
Subject: Issue Regarding Sales and Service to XXX

XXX,

I am writing you to inform you of extremely poor sales and service regarding my girlfriend, XXXXXX.

She had purchased a specialty book from Book-A-Million online as a Christmas gift to me.  This particular book is the completion of a very long series, which she and I have been reading for 20 years.  The book was released on January 8th.  XXX had ordered the book ahead of time to be overnight shipped and should have arrive to her residence on January 9th.  This was not just an ordinary hardcover, it was a leather bound limited release printing.  There are only 26 lettered and 200 numbered copies made available by TOR (the publisher). 

XXX called Books-A-Million to inquire on shipping status.  The first gentlemen she spoke with was of no help and stated his computer said there was nothing wrong with the order and to expect it the next day.  That day came and went so she called again.  The next woman said she saw the order and there was a brief delay but to expect the package the next day. 

Unfortunately it did not come.  This was critical because XXX and I left that afternoon (January 10th) to a book signing for the release of the book in question (A memory of Light).  This is an epic series and the original author (Robert Jordan)  died of Amyloidosis  prior to completing the series.  The series was taken over by another excellent author and this was the final end of the series.  The signing also had the Widow/Editor of the series (Harriet McDougal) present to sign the books.  This was a once in a life time possibility to get the leatherbound copy signed by Harriet.  It was also always part of the gift my girlfriend was trying to put together for me for Christmas.  It didn’t happen because the book was not delivered.

XXX called Books-A-Million again the day after the signing only to hear a new and even more disappointing story.  The book she had ordered is supposedly on back order.  According to the gentlemen she talked to, the publisher did not send enough books. 

To say I am disappointed in the treatment XXX has received via poor or wrong information from the multiple inquiring calls she made is an understatement.  But to have oversold a very special edition of this book and not inform the buyer is inexcusable.  Is this the way Books-A-Million wants to treat their clientele? Now my girlfriend is distraught and thinks she will never get her gift intended for me and thinks the whole thing was ruined.

To add insult to injury, the signing took place at a Books and Co store in XXXX, XXX.  I am sure you are aware Books-A-Million owns Books and Co.  I had to purchase the book a second time from a Books-A-Million store just to get any kind of signature from the replacement author (Brandon Sanderson) or Harriet McDougal.

I don’t believe companies intend on operating in this manner.  I am taking the opportunity to inform you of this situation so Books-A-Million can respond in, what I hope is, a proper corrective manner.

Sincerely,

XXX

I understand your frustration, but are we to assume they offered you a refund in another correspondence? That's implied by your last reply, but isn't supported by previous letters.

Mistakes happen. It's unfortunate, and you could sue for damages (the lost opportunity to acquire said edition via a different venue), but if they did offer a refund, I'd say leave it at that. They expected Tor to deliver, but for whatever reason got their wires crossed. I'm sure they regret loosing your business, too.

At this point no money has been refunded by BAM according to current bank records.

Legal action for chattel of such low value is not a sound financial choice.  I should say, it not worth sueing anyone over a book.

However, this is not the first time the release of a limited number of books for this series has taken place.  Matter of fact, book sellers have probably had more experiance with limited printings for this series than any other series.  Many different offers for compensation could have been made.  In my professional buisiness, when the customer is not happy, I have to fix the situation even if it costs a little money from my margin.  Else, you have an unhappy customer, such as me.  No attempt was even proffered.

Archived