DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

aMoL: Foreshadowing in the Book and Previous Books (Full Spoilers)

Barid Bel Medar

Mat fought and beat both galad and gawyn with a quarterstaff (at the same time) during the last battle when they both lost to baothewyld i was sure mat would use his spear to defeat them. having forshadowed that a quarterstaff could be used to defeat the greatest of swordsmen, but then lan did it. i was disapointed

From the Great Hunt, chapter 9, Lan giving advice to Rand:

"There will come a time when you must achieve a goal at all costs.  It may come in attack or in defence.  And the only way will be to allow the sword to be sheathed in your own body." [...] "You will know when it comes, sheepherder, when the price is worth the gain, and there is no other choice left to you.  That is called Sheathing the Sword.  Remember it."

Well, there's a rather obvious one in AMOL. Remember Egwene's last "dreaming" scene where she's remembering what she saw? The last thing mentioned was a glass pillar...The very last thing she "dreams"..Interesting that that is the last we see of her..turned into a glass pillar..

I thought that that was a pretty nice use of foreshadowing, but I have to admit, some of the one y'all have mentioned are really good and very obscure..Mr. Jordan was very subtle about doing this wasn't he?*G*

tud

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a few in tDR.

Rand's wound opens up and starts bleeding while they are hiding out in the Mountains of Mist.  He tells Moiraine he wishes he could be taken to SG there and then to fulfill the 'blood on the rocks' prophecy.  Moiraine tells him it's not that simple and the prophecies are obscure.  In reality, this prophecy is the one which can be taken at face value.

Also there are numerous quotes of Egwene wanting to draw more of saidar than she can, and feeling compelled to pull more and more of it even though she knows the danger of burning herself out (Elayne has this to a much reduced extent, and Nynaeve not at all).  Possibly foreshadowing of her death?  Additionally, her test for raising for Accepted has some descriptions of being swallowed by the light and torn apart by the light, disappearing into nothing which seems similar to her death scene.

Archived