DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Did we ever find out the one unresolved mystery that Brandon ''really wishes'' he knew the answer to?

The Fisher King

It is under ''Entry #2''

http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php

BRANDON SANDERSON

Mr. Jordan listed some mysteries in the notes that are NOT to be solved. Perhaps you should try to guess which ones.

DOPWENSJ

Are they not explained, or are they explicitly noted to refrain from releasing the solution?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Some of each. There's one that I really wish I knew, but he didn't tell anyone, and said no answer is to be given.

Fish

At a guess: Who was manipulating Masema.

I don't think its the one he doesn't know the answer to, but I think some of the things to do with the future of damane collaring vs uncollaring may well be for the outriggers, plus one or two of Min's visions, Fortellings & Dreams.

Here is a direct link to the above quote.

I suspect it's the question about the VOICE at the end of tEoTW.  People in this thread said that in some  interview it was mentioned that it will never be explained.

I will be very disappointed if this is the case but I can live with it. What I really do want to be answered is who was behind the attack on Algarin's manor. I certainly hope that this will not remain a mystery.

The question of who was manipulating Masema is a good candidate for something that might not be explained in the book but it's pretty clear from interviews that BS knows what the answer is.

What I can't imagine is what kind of mysteries are supposed to be left hanging because of possible use in the outriggers. There are not all that many past mysteries and none seem to fit IMO.

Well, for one thing, this is not unknown to him. Brandon knows exactly what THE VOICE is all about and says so in the "Chat With Brandon Sanderson" on July 10 2010.

When asked if we will find out about it in AMOL he traditionally answers with a RAFO and a big smiley face - which I doubt he'd give if it wasn't going to be revealed.

Fish

I am sorry; I am not sure why I can't get that darn link to work ... When you go to the page with the link, just type "unresolved" in the search bar and hit return. Its the second entry.

Fish

You can't link to search results. But each entry in the results has its own link. You can click on that link and copy the url. Even better, you can do what herid did and add #entrynumber (in this case, #10) to the end of the url to link directly to that entry.

thanks. I found the quote.

Stefan
So we know in The Eye of the World, there was somebody who talked in capital letters like how the Dark One did. Obviously you can't tell us who it was, but will we know by the end of A Memory of Light?
Brandon Sanderson

I know what that was about. Will it be in the next book? Er...RAFO. Sorry.

STEFAN

Will we know by the end of the series though?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I really can't say yes or no. This is one of the things Harriet has asked me to be very quiet about.

well, I have no other guesses then. I hope it's not about the attack on Algarin's manor.

@Terez oh, I did not think of that. Let's hope you are right on this one.  Never cared about the whole "construct" discussion, especially post VoG.  It could also be some other issue about LTT or the AoL in general. Now that you brought it up I imagine one can come up with any number of questions there that might not be covered in the notes.

If we look at the facts, the attack ordered on Algarin's was done by someone pretending to be Sammael (I think this is fairly solid though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). If that's the case they need to look like a Sammael, which suggests they are a channeller (otherwise why would Moridin be sure that they are masquerading Sammael rather than any other Chosen). I also believe that Forsaken are marked (in a similar way to Alvarin, so Shadowspawn can recognise them) this means it either needs to be a Forsaken that doesn't want to be recognised (i.e. they know they are disobeying the Na'blis, but they want Rand dead), or someone who is capable of creating that mark for themselves (which I would have thought is highly unlikely, given the ability to forge this mark would lead to control of their entire army).

This makes me think that it is a forsaken that want's Rand dead and also wants to undermine Moridin.

As we have Aran'gar's POV in the scene which does not suggest she knows anything.

I would doubt with the mindtraps that Moggy and Cyndene are capable (though not 100% on this)

This leaves Demanded, Messana, Graendal & Semirhage.

It is likely at this point Semirhage has already got the beginnings of her plan to capture Rand in place, so unlikely to be her.

Messana seems very preoccupied with the Tower and trying to set her power base as strongly as she can.

Demandred's personal hatred of LTT doesn't discount him, but I think he'd want the credit if it suceeded.

Graendal we have seen from multiple POV's is a) the most likely to be confident of Sammael's death, so confident of no retribution from him. b) we see repeated POV's where she tells herself Moridin's position is not forever and she plans to displace him (more so than some others) c) she always tries to ensure she cannot be traced by friend or foe ie the trail leads to Sammael. d) of All the forsaken who's Identities are known her's at this point in time seems the least time intensive so leaves plenty of time for other schemes.

Its pretty solid reasoning that Fain ordered some of his pet Fades to round up a bunch of Trollocs and attack The Manor.

Except...Fain has always seemed to want to try to kill Rand personally.

If not Fain, HAS to be Taim. Forsaken or Black Ajah just don't make any sense.

Fish

I don't want to rehash the old arguments. Fain was always one of the top suspects but there are other options. I didn't think much of Taim because he was not a Forsaken and could not control the Myrdraal. However, now that he is a new Forsaken he is a lot more interesting. On one hand it removes the issue of him not being able to order the Myrdraal. On the other hand, in the scene where Taim is introduced as a new Forsaken, every appearance is given that this only just happened. If that's correct then he is definitely out. If he was secretly a new Forsaken for a while, there has to be a very good reason for it to have been kept secret from all the others including Moridin. None are given and I don't see what it could have been.

One possibility that just occurred to me is that Taim's introduction as a new Chosen might have been intended by RJ for the prologue of the very next book after KoD. In this case there would be no issue with keeping it a secret from the other Forsaken for a long time. It's possible that BS just didn't consider this angle he moved that particular scene to AMOL.

Archived