DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is this illegal?

mdnyttokr

As a huge supporter of Team Jordan, and a firm believer in intellectual property rights, I thought I'd ask my fellow DMers if the WoT AMoL prologue offer I've on FB is actually illegal, or if it's much ado about nothing.

A poster on FB has claimed that they will email out copies of the AMoL prologue to people outside the US and Canada who send their email address. Since, on the surface, this would appear to be stealing, I thought I'd ask around. Now, I can appreciate wanting to share the love of WoT, but I try to do so legally.

I play by the rules on this stuff. I don't steal music, I don't steal stuff from stores, and I don't steal books, electronic or otherwise. Even so, I probably wouldn't care, but I know that RJ felt strongly about this kind of thing, and I care about this series and I have some inkling of the amount of work and effort that went into getting it this far. However, I am no expert, so it could be that somehow this is perfectly legal. I cannot judge, so maybe someone else can.

Here's the link to the poster's website. The date/time stamp on the wall posts indicates they were posted on Sept 20, at about 6:30 am (Pacific time).

http://www.facebook.com/wotfull

Illegal? Or okay?

As a huge supporter of Team Jordan, and a firm believer in intellectual property rights, I thought I'd ask my fellow DMers if the WoT AMoL prologue offer I've on FB is actually illegal, or if it's much ado about nothing.

A poster on FB has claimed that they will email out copies of the AMoL prologue to people outside the US and Canada who send their email address. Since, on the surface, this would appear to be stealing, I thought I'd ask around. Now, I can appreciate wanting to share the love of WoT, but I try to do so legally.

I play by the rules on this stuff. I don't steal music, I don't steal stuff from stores, and I don't steal books, electronic or otherwise. Even so, I probably wouldn't care, but I know that RJ felt strongly about this kind of thing, and I care about this series and I have some inkling of the amount of work and effort that went into getting it this far. However, I am no expert, so it could be that somehow this is perfectly legal. I cannot judge, so maybe someone else can.

Here's the link to the poster's website. The date/time stamp on the wall posts indicates they were posted on Sept 20, at about 6:30 am (Pacific time).

http://www.facebook.com/wotfull

Illegal? Or okay?

Yah unless you pay for it it is then illegal. kinda like downloading Lets say battlefield 3 with out paying. so yah deff illegal.

Tho I don't advise anyone to break laws, I'm not sure that this would be technically illegal. It may be illegal from the person distributing while not enforcable for the people receiveing.

Unrelated to locals laws, before the printing press, there was no concept of intellectual property, tho I have heard that if you quoted someone, it was beyond rude to make believe you made you that phrase, so you would say "I heard this from Lini 'I'm so old, if I make up a saying right now, it is an old saying'" sorry to RJ if I butchered that from memory.

Incidentally, I don't believe in intellectual property at all, I buy RJ's books in today's society because it isn't availible otherwise, in a similar society without intellectual property (like when printing first became availible) the first printing would be made of a size that could be sold in the market within a short period of time and later editions would be made by anyone who saw a demand and wanted to invest.

Note: the high price of first edition, exclusivity, was created to artificially increase the price, but it would have been cheaper even so

Archived