DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Effects of VoG on Portal Stone worlds

Bromo Sapien

If there is a new world created from every (major) decision made and put into the Portal Stone Rolodex of WorldsTM, would a new world have been created for Rand's decision in VoG only to end pretty much instantaneously when he snuffed out the Pattern? Or at the very least, the world would be destroyed in a few weeks when the Dragon isn't there in that world and the DO gets set free. But somewhere in the series (I believe it was Verin or Lanfear in tGH) someone said that the DO was the same in every world and if he's free in one, he's free in all. So how do the workings of the Portal Stones square with... the workings of the Portal Stones?

#Paradox

#Confusing

Im not sure, if Rand wasn't using balefire he wouldn't destroy the pattern just the world, Im not sure how that could play out destroying the world for it having to exist again when the age comes again though. Assuming the DO didn't break free anyway.

Its all paradoxes anyway. The only way to sorta get round it is if one thing is happening in one world it is happening in all the others to somehow, maybe not the same way but it is. So if the champion kills himself in this world where the dark one can win or he fails, then all the others would fail to in other worlds. Which leads to the DO breaking free in all. Its not one failing that leads the others but them all happening and not causing others to. Likewise no matter how dire If its won in one world then it is in all at the same time, again it isn't actually making the others win just that they "by chance" all do.

According to TGH there are worlds which never evolved to support life or which were wiped clean of life(either way they're airless and lifeless according to description), as i understand things the possibility of Rand destroying the world would have created a Mirror world much like those in the sense it is also void and lifeless.

I like your question because it makes me rethink my "all along the DO was pushing Rand to the mindset he had in VoG hoping the Dragon would destroy the world" idea.

OTOH, maybe Rand destroying the world would have beena perfect win for the DO in which case he's free in all mirror worlds and Randland's Wheel is broken, giving the Do a perfect win.

Question: When they say "there is only one Dark One, who also exists in all of these worlds at once. If he is freed from the prison the Creator made in one world, he is freed on all. So long as he is kept prisoner in one, he remains imprisoned on all." does it refer to mirror worlds or parallel worlds?

I've been wondering if the Finn world might be like one of the Fallen Worlds from A Wrinkle in Time, a world under the sway of the Shadow. The only evidence I have to support the idea is a quote by RJ to the effect that while naming the DO brings bad luck in Randland(where only a thin patch keeps the DO away from the world), naming the DO in Finland brings SERIOUSLY bad fortune. That implies to me he has even stronger sway there than in tainted bootleg quality patch Randland.

Question: When they say "there is only one Dark One, who also exists in all of these worlds at once. If he is freed from the prison the Creator made in one world, he is freed on all. So long as he is kept prisoner in one, he remains imprisoned on all." does it refer to mirror worlds or parallel worlds?

I always took this quote as a way to prove that the DO will never have a perfect victory. Even in the off chance that he achieves some kind of victory, As long as he is imprisoned in 1 possible world, he is imprisoned in all worlds. Makes me wonder why Ishamael still thinks that the DO can win.

Archived