DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

J.V Jones

mwayneknight

Hello to all, I am a huge fantasy reader(of course nothing compares to Wheel of Time), but I had to question for everyone out there and would like to see if anyone can answer. Has anyone heard of J.V Jones series Sword of Shadows? And if you have has anyone heard from J.V jones at all. Her last book came out a couple of years ago, her last twitter was around then, and no updates on her website at all. Just curious and Thanks.

The last I heard, the next Sword of Shadows book was due for publication in mid-to-late 2013. Jones does tend to go into radio silence during the last 12-18 months of working on a book, so this isn't anything unusual.

Thanks Wert!

Is J.V. Jones good?

She's a pretty good writer, and the first couple of books in the series are immersive. The sad thing is, by the third and fourth books, the series makes Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight look as fast-paced as Transformers 2. If you don't know, Transformers 2 is very fast-paced and action-packed. But the series is still pretty good. It's better than most of the other stuff out there.

Is J.V. Jones good?

She's a pretty good writer, and the first couple of books in the series are immersive. The sad thing is, by the third and fourth books, the series makes Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight look as fast-paced as Transformers 2. If you don't know, Transformers 2 is very fast-paced and action-packed. But the series is still pretty good. It's better than most of the other stuff out there.

Ditto this. Was pleasantly surprised by the first two but things slowed way down with the last couple(this usually isn't a problem for me). Hoping that she pulls it off as the world is detailed, unique and the story holds great promise.

@suttree: I also don't really mind a slow series as long as it is the main plot that is slow and not everything. The main plot is slow in WoT, but so much other stuff happens at a very nice speed. The Perrin chasing Faile plotline, however, is WAY too slow. As in NOTHING happens. This is how the "Sword of Shadows" has bogged down, and it makes me so very sad. Despite that, it is still better than the vast majority of stuff out there.

Since you seem to have a similar take on this series as me, I wonder if you'd give me a few of your favorite series. I have such a hard time finding new stuff that I like. It doesn't have to be fantasy or even sci-fi. I just like the concept of a series.

@suttree: I also don't really mind a slow series as long as it is the main plot that is slow and not everything. The main plot is slow in WoT, but so much other stuff happens at a very nice speed. The Perrin chasing Faile plotline, however, is WAY too slow. As in NOTHING happens. This is how the "Sword of Shadows" has bogged down, and it makes me so very sad. Despite that, it is still better than the vast majority of stuff out there.

Since you seem to have a similar take on this series as me, I wonder if you'd give me a few of your favorite series. I have such a hard time finding new stuff that I like. It doesn't have to be fantasy or even sci-fi. I just like the concept of a series.

Yeah I get you and agree.

As for series I'm sure you are familiar with a bunch but here goes in no particular order, some all time favs and some that have stood out over the last few years.

1. Richard Morgan "A Land Fit for Heroes"* his scifi "Takeshi Kovacs" trilogy is ace too.

2. Scott Lynch "Gentlemen Bastards Sequence"

3. Patrick Rothfuss "Kingkiller Chronicle"

4. David Durham "Acacia"

5. Daniel Abraham "The Long Prince Quartet" & "The Dagger and the Coin Quintet"

6. Gene Wolfe "The Book of the New Sun"

7. Joe Abercrombie "First Law Trilogy"

8. Mervyn Peake "Gormenghast"

9. Chris Wooding "The Braided Path" *For quick, light reads you can never go wrong with his "Tales of the Ketty Jay" as well.

10. Glen Cook "The Black Company"

11. Erikson "Malazan"

12. Martin "ASoIaF"

As an aside if you like Bakker I would highly recommend Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian". It's a masterpiece and was a pretty big influence on Bakker's work. It may be my single favorite novel of all time. The narrative follows "the kid" mostly during his time with the Glanton Gang which was a historical group of scalp hunters along the US-Mexico border in the 1840s. It also contains one of the greatest villains from the american literary canon in Judge Holden.

As for series I'm sure you are familiar with a bunch but here goes in no particular order, some all time favs and some that have stood out over the last few years.

1. Richard Morgan "A Land Fit for Heroes"* his scifi "Takeshi Kovacs" trilogy is ace too.

4. David Durham "Acacia"

9. Chris Wooding "The Braided Path" *For quick, light reads you can never go wrong with his "Tales of the Ketty Jay" as well.

11. Erikson "Malazan"

12. Martin "ASoIaF"

As an aside if you like Bakker I would highly recommend Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian". It's a masterpiece and was a pretty big influence on Bakker's work. It may be my single favorite novel of all time. The narrative follows "the kid" mostly during his time with the Glanton Gang which was a historical group of scalp hunters along the US-Mexico border in the 1840s. It also contains one of the greatest villains from the american literary canon in Judge Holden.

I've read 2,3,4,5,6,7,10,11, and 12. I am currently on the 2nd Gormenghast book, but I kind of stalled out. I actually preferred "The Book of the Short Sun" to the "Book of the Long Sun" if you've never tried out. But yeah thanks for the list I'll definitely give them a read.

I really enjoy Cormac McCarthy, but Blood Meridian isn't really my favorite by him. I prefer the Road, All the Pretty Horses, and even Chile of God personally. Though, I do believe that Blood Meridian may be his best in a literary sense. I just plain enjoy the others more.

I don't know if you've read "The Acts of Caine" series by Matthew Woodring Stover starting with "Heroes Die," but it's one of the best out there. Definitely in my top 5. Give it a try; it's fantasy/sci fi. Also if you've never read the Aubrey/Maturin series starting with "Master and Commander" I'd recommend it. It's British naval fiction, but it's really good. It's 17 books, and it reads like one long novel.

4. David Durham "Acacia"

11. Erikson "Malazan"

12. Martin "ASoIaF"

I've read 2,3,4,5,6,7,10,11, and 12. I am currently on the 2nd Gormenghast book, but I kind of stalled out. I actually preferred "The Book of the Short Sun" to the "Book of the Long Sun" if you've never tried out. But yeah thanks for the list I'll definitely give them a read.

I really enjoy Cormac McCarthy, but Blood Meridian isn't really my favorite by him. I prefer the Road, All the Pretty Horses, and even Chile of God personally. Though, I do believe that Blood Meridian may be his best in a literary sense. I just plain enjoy the others more.

I don't know if you've read "The Acts of Caine" series by Matthew Woodring Stover starting with "Heroes Die," but it's one of the best out there. Definitely in my top 5. Give it a try; it's fantasy/sci fi. Also if you've never read the Aubrey/Maturin series starting with "Master and Commander" I'd recommend it. It's British naval fiction, but it's really good. It's 17 books, and it reads like one long novel.

Figured you had read most of those. Hope you like the ones you haven't gotten to yet! As I said Bakker is my fav right now(have you checked out his short stories in the same world? http://rsbakker.wordpress.com/stories/the-false-sun/ ) As for the rest think you will enjoy all of Richard Morgan's work a ton. Maybe start there if you are looking for new stuff.

With McCarthy, I have loved all his books. I focused on him as much as possible in college so I have been through his complete works many times(you can probably tell from my user name,). If you haven't checked out Suttree yet I recommend it. Gene Harrogate is another one of his memorable characters right up there with Judge Holden and Lester Ballard.

Thanks for the other recs btw. Have been meaning to check out Stover for some time.

Thanks for the advice guys. I may give her a try anyway...

On a side note, you have good taste Suttree. I am currently reading the last of the Kovacs books, after reading the Cold Commands.

Thanks for the advice guys. I may give her a try anyway...

On a side note, you have good taste Suttree. I am currently reading the last of the Kovacs books, after reading the Cold Commands.

Thanks Luckers. Think you know I have always valued your takes and opinion so that means something. Glad you enjoyed those books!!!

JV Jones's first trilogy, The Book of Words, starts out very lightweight. The first book is pretty much fantasy by the numbers. If you hold in there, the second and third volumes make things much more complex and darker. The sequel series, The Sword of Shadows, is vastly superior. In fact, I don't think I've seen a writer step up so completely in quality between two works. The first series is more mid-level in quality, say around the level of Raymond Feist at his best, but the second stakes a claim to the top tier alongside the likes of Martin and Tad Williams (at his best). Very impressive.

Her stand-alone novel The Barbed Coil is also decent. A word of warning: Jones takes 3-4 years per book and the Sword of Shadows series is another two books away from completion (although the next book should be due soon-ish).

Archived