DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Digital or Paper Books for Wot?

DaoineSidhe

E-Book or Paper Book? How do you read WoT?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What medium do you use Primarily to enjoy The Wheel of Time?

• I read the series with printed books
    • I read the series through a digital "e-book" format
    • I listen to the Wheel of Time Audiobooks.

Please vote for however many of the different mediums you use, and in your post explain which is your primary medium for WoT consumption, and why.

Hadn't seen this recently, and was kind of curious to see how DM users imbibe their WoT. While I do still enjoy reading the series on printed page, my primary consumption of books switched about three years ago to digital editions. I put all of the books on my smart-phone, and I have the entire series on hand whenever I want it. Considering the size of some of the paperbacks, it can look VERY conspicuous trying to carry a WoT book in your pocket to read whenever you have a free moment. (Believe me, I know. I used to get strange looks pulling this massive book out of either cargo-pants or my back pocket when I'd be standing in a line, or sitting at a bus stop, etc.).

I'm not an eco-fascist who thinks all production of books should stop to save the trees, it is a simple fact that as books switch to digital, and printed versions become less and less demanded, the decline in consumption of paper will have some environmental effects. I'm not smart enough to say how much, if it would be noticeable, but in my mind anything you can do to decrease your consumption of hard resources is a step in the positive direction.

I also really enjoy listening to the audio books, and find it always interesting for pronunciation, and word emphasis which can change my perception of a scene. That being said, it's way too time consuming for it to ever be my primary medium, more something I do to augment my WoT consumption.

Even if I do primarily read the series digitally, I still enjoy curling up by a fire during the winter with a good printed book and either some Hot Cider or an Irish Coffee and relaxing for a few hours.

I got stopped by a cop once for having a wheel of time book in the inside pocket of a jacket and looking up and down the street while waiting for someone. So I use ebooks now, so much simpler.

Though I would recommend listening to the audio books atleast once, but they are like fifty bucks each on audible last I looked.

I prefer my hard backs over the kindle. but over the last 20 years of reading pretty much all of my hardbacks are falling apart from over reading them i think. the kindle is far more earier to carry around thats for sure.ill still get the last one in hardback for sure and im sure it will fallapart like the others. then once the kindle version comes out ill be on that aswell.

I've read them all in printed and e-book versions as well as listened to them all. Printed has been my most read medium, but I'm sure that's only because that's all that was available originally. That being said, it's the only series, or stand alone book, that I still buy a printed copy of.

Have them all in hardback and read those at home. When I have to travel with work (lots of time on buses and airplanes for hours at a time) I take my paperbacks so I can carry them more easily.

I just got a friend of mine hooked on the series and she is reading on her Nook. It's a bit tougher for her because if she can't remember who someone is or a connection to a previous event she can't easily flip to the appendix. Luckily for her, she has a walking glossary a text message away.

Archived