DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

R.A. Salvatore?

Loreia

I love the R.A. Salvatore books, they're what got me into fantasy. Looking back on them now, though, I see that they are fairly predictable. After reading Robert Jordana and Gearge Martin I can say that they are in a whole other league than Salvatore. But if you're in the mood for a solid, action packed novel with all sorts of races and magics then by all means, pick up Salvatore.

Weis & Hickman's Dragonlance books are another set to read if you like that action-driven plot, rather than the character driven ones of Jordan and MArtin.

Guest TigerToe

been a loyal drizzt fan, which probably explains why i still pick them up when they come out....i honestly think Bob is tired of writing his Drzzt for the Wizards...but its tried and true and always sells (loyal fans like me since i was a wee one) his road of patriach 'artemis and jarlaxle' was kind of interesting with a bum ending...dont like the highwayman, couldnt quite get into the demowars jiliesponie.

Robert Jordans CONAN books got me into D&D (even then RJs talent for writing was apparent to a mere 5th grader...better than howards(the creator) as accompanied by decamp.

Georgie martins 'song of Ice and Fire' series...im into book 2 (days after book one) and i havent been into a series this much since i first read Eye of the world...of course if its headed for 12++ i could lose some steam... :)

while jordan's conan books were pretty righteous compared to some of the others i've read (poul anderson, le kamp, etc.), nothing compares to the original stories by howard.

jordan still falls a little short of fully capturing the character, and the plot lines were not as good as howard's. having read all of them back to back, it's easy to spot the shortcomings that in howard were excusable due to the forum he wrote in, but in jordan, with a huge publishing firm behind him, should not have appeared.

they're friggin' entertaining, but terribly formulaic. i still recommend them as the second best conan stories, but a cover band will never stand up to the original artist.

and now i will stop hijacking the thread. :oops:

Georgie martins 'song of Ice and Fire' series...im into book 2 (days after book one) and i havent been into a series this much since i first read Eye of the world...of course if its headed for 12++ i could lose some steam... :)

This is what I like hearing. I wouldn't worry about it going to twelve. It's currently set at seven with some wriggle-room that it might go to eight. The difference between GRRM and RJ is that GRRM had too much story for his originally-planned number of books, whilst RJ didn't have enough, hence the unnecessary padding in Books 8-10. Luckily, RJ turned it around with 11.

Worth noting as well that GRRM has said he often owes a lot of his success to RJ pimping A Game of Thrones when it first came out ten years ago.

Archived