DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

He would almost certainly fail without a woman dead and gone

Tommatt

It is most likely moraine. But I feel it's odd and questionable by the fact she saw thom and moraines marriage, talks about a woman dead and gone, and only one foreseeing she's sawn as being wrong.

If I'm understanding you correctly, and you're saying "why doesn't she think two viewings failed," then you need to go back through earlier posts in this topic. It has already been explained that the viewing of a woman dead and gone cannot fail.

Neither can the viewing of Moiraine marrying.

That makes two apparently failed viewings.

Uh, yes it can.

"Moiraine will marry Thom" can fail by her dying, because then she can't marry Thom

"Rand will almost surely fail without Moiraine" cannot possibly be incorrect.

Even if we pretend it says "Rand will surely fail" the viewing cannot be wrong:

Option A: Moiraine dies - Rand fails

Option B: Moiraine lives - Rand possibly succeeds

In both instances the viewing is correct. Min only had one viewing that failed and it's not the one about Rand needing a woman in order to succeed. The number of times I've had to argue this makes me think that people can't separate themselves from their surety as readers that Rand will beat the Dark One and the actual possibility from the point of view of the characters that he'll fail in his mission. Rand failing to defeat the Dark One doesn't make the viewing incorrect.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes we're talking of two separate viewings, both probably involving the same person, Moirane.

Min thinks Moiraine is dead.

She had a viewing (singular, one specific viewing) of Moiraine that she knows cannot be fulfilled if Moiraine is dead.

This may be Moiraine having it off with Thom, or dancing the sa'sara with Bashere, or eating a raken, whatever.

Min also has another viewing, which she interprets as per the topic post. This is like her Perrin -Rand firefly viewing in that it's probablistic. MIn knows having a "woman" (who she thinks is dead-and-gone = Moiraine) around at a certain time or place would greatly increase Rand's chance of success.

But she doesn't know that Rand will fall for sure if aforesaid woman is not around.

This CANNOT, as Deadsby has pointed out, be the "failed" viewing. The point of connection is MIn's belief that Moiraine is dead and Moi features in both.

I don't think it's Lanfear. Among other things, Min has met Lanfear and didn't have messed up viewings. And I don't think that she would merely think of Lanfear as a woman dead and gone in this context. It would be more like "Rand needs help from a dead-and-gone Forsaken".

I find Min's thoughts about the 'woman dead and gone' very curious.

If she saw and recognised Lanfear, she would indeed have reacted with incredulity.

If she saw and recognised Moiraine, she would have thought, why tell Rand that 'he would almost certainly fail without Moiraine'.

She did neither, so I suspect that the identity of the woman was not apparent.

I don't think it's Lanfear. Among other things, Min has met Lanfear and didn't have messed up viewings. And I don't think that she would merely think of Lanfear as a woman dead and gone in this context. It would be more like "Rand needs help from a dead-and-gone Forsaken".

isn't the only time min seen lanfear was in tGH at the very end? so there is a chance she forgot what she looked like

isn't the only time min seen lanfear was in tGH at the very end? so there is a chance she forgot what she looked like

Not very high chance of a memory lapse, given the circumstances and the fact that Lanfear is smoking hot.

Archived