DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Studio Ghibli Recommendations

Melanas

Hi, I'm currently looking into writing an essay as part of my degree on music by Joe Hisaishi scored for Studio Ghibli films. Basically, I need to watch several of the films, but it's unrealistic to try and watch them all, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to the better ones to watch? So far I've watched Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa; Valley of the Wind. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ;)

No, there's no specific films/genre, as long as it's scored by Joe Hisaishi. I'm basically trying to narrow down the list to watch the better films/ones with greater musical interest. I just scribbled down a list of the remaining Ghibli films he seems to have scored, and there isn't actually as many as I was anticipating, but it would still be good if anyone has any comments on them!

Ponyo

Porco Rosso

Kiki's Delivery Service

My Neighbour Totoro

Castle in the Sky

Howl's Moving Castle

I'm also considered watching one or two non-Ghibli ones that Hisaishi has scored as a comparison, so if anyone has any familiarity with his other films?

And no, I haven't seen Once. I'm actually having trouble locating that one on a search. Does it have any alternate names?

I would definitely include My Neighbor Totoro in that essay. It is IMO the best Studio Ghibli film. Porco Rosso is the only Ghibli film I ever disliked. Howl's Moving Castle is also a great film and the music in it carries the movie in many ways.

Totoro is a classic. Howl's moving castle is also really good. Ponyo is like a weird dream (um, i mean more so than other Ghibli films), but good. The only ones i specifically remember loving the music are the three you already watched, but they're all good films. they all knock it out of the park with critics on rotten tomatoes.

Archived