DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red Veils and Red Sails

Zinger

in ToM we see both ships with red sails attacking Seanchan, and a group of "Aiel" with red veils and sharpened teeth

here is my theory about them.

I believe that the are the male channellers from both Aiel and Atha'an Miere societies.

in the Aiel society when a man finds out he can channel he goes north to the blight to face the dark one.

with the Sea Folk the men are given a choice; either tie stones to your self and drop to the bottom of the ocean, or be left on a deserted island with one water skin.

in the cases of both the Aiel men and the Sea Folk who choose to be left on the island it is possible that the shadow knew of this practice and was able to use 13 dreadlords and 13 Myrddraal to turn them.

This would also explain the dark blank eyes that the Aiel have, which sound quite similar to those at the Black tower that (IMO) were definitely exposed to the double circle (i made that name up for it right now...i think i'll stick with it)

so what are your thoughts

Got ya. I may have an over glorified view of the dark...dreadlords in aol I'm sure was just run of the mill dark friend channelers of the time

In the War of Shadows in AoL, Aes Sedai that went over to the shadow were all referred to as Forsaken. They obviously referred to themseleves as Chosen.

Dreadlords was a Trolloc Wars term for both male and female channelers on the Shadow's side.

Black Ajah appears to be a Third Age term.

Week 12 - http://13depository.blogspot.com/2009/03/tor-questions-of-week.html

Robert Jordan Answers: First off, Dreadlords was the name given to men and women who could channel and sided with the Shadow in the Trolloc Wars. Yes, the women were called Dreadlords, too. They might have liked to call themselves "the Chosen," like the Forsaken, but feared to. The real Forsaken might not have appreciated it when they returned, as prophecies of the Shadow foretold would happen. Some of the Dreadlords had authority and responsibility equivalent to that of the Forsaken in the War of the Shadow, however. They ran the Shadow's side of the Trolloc Wars, though without the inherent ability to command the Myrddraal that the Forsaken possess, meaning they had to negotiate with them. Overall command at the beginning was in another's hands.

Forsaken was the name given to Aes Sedai who went over to the Shadow in the War of the Shadow at the end of the Age of Legends, though of course, they called themselves the Chosen, and despite the tales of the "current"Age, there were many more than a few of them. Since they occupied all sorts of levels, you might say that many were equivalent to some of the lesser Dreadlords, but it would be incorrect to call them so. At the time, they were all Forsaken—or Chosen—from the greatest to the least.

(I didn't post the rest of the asnwer)

One twist on the whole thing that I haven't heard discussed...

We know that there were a Red sisters that were Black Ajah. When they were out hunting men who could channel, did they ever kidnap them and turn them to the Shadow instead of stilling or killing them. It would have made for an interesting plot twist that could go all the way back to A New Spring when many were searching for the Dragon.

We know that there were a Red sisters that were Black Ajah. When they were out hunting men who could channel, did they ever kidnap them and turn them to the Shadow instead of stilling or killing them. It would have made for an interesting plot twist that could go all the way back to A New Spring when many were searching for the Dragon.

interesting idea.

it's certainly possible, but i doubt it.

firstly because they were ordered by whoever was head of the Black Ajah to still and/or kill on sight, and were probably reluctant to break the order.

second, i doubt they would be that clever.

third, getting abunch of Myrdraal is not something you just do in an afternoon, not before the Forsaken were released anyway

It seems plausible--note in tDR where Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne get waylaid by bandits intending to sell them to a Myrdraal. People often assume that it was specific (the myrdraal indicates a specific interest in those three girls) but the men themselves seem to indicate that any woman with a great serpant ring is worth a lot of money to those willing to deal with myrdraal. The turnings could be a lot more common than is widely realized.

While possible, we know that, for example, Logain, was stilled in Tar Valon. If a channeling false dragon is found, one must also be stilled in Tar Valon. Sure, once or twice they might 'die' in capture, but there are too few of them that it could be more than say one alive at the current point in time.

It's much more likely they get some of those who are just trying to live their lives, I suppose, but the 'kill them all' after the Aiel wars suggests it didn't happen; maybe the Black Ajah reds share their mistrust of men with the normal Red Ajah?

Archived