DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does the Mirror of Mists technically break the three Oaths?

number13

I still don't understand the point of the oaths. want to become queen of carhien " warder attack... oops, sorry I destroyed half the city, I was defending my warders life?"

and would it be okay to enhance a spear with the power if its meant for a maiden of the spear seeing as the oath specifically talks about men killing each other, not women.

I've always felt that the point of the oaths is to create the misconception amongst the uninitiated that Aes Sedai are bound by a code of honor of sorts. We all know that Aes Sedai still do whatever the hell they want in spite of the oaths. But it gives the smallfolk a sense that the ruling class is bound by a set of constraints, such that the White Tower is perceived as a bastion of the Light, rather than a bunch of people squabbling for political power.

Its all a matter of spinning words....lawyers are particularly good at it in our world. Besides an AS could just have her Warder do all kinds of lying for her if she needed it; and, an observant Warder would never need to be told by the AS to do any lying, they would simply realize the situation called for it. For example:

Townsfolk: What did you say your name was?

Warder: Her name is Ms. xxxx?

Townsfolk: Ah, ok Ms. xxxx, we have a room at our inn, etc.....

AS: Thank you.

And thus a lie is begun and allowed to perpetuate without the AS doing one bit of lying. Its really quite easy to spin the truth and to imply whatever you want. The media does this to us all the time....

Its all a matter of spinning words....lawyers are particularly good at it in our world. Besides an AS could just have her Warder do all kinds of lying for her if she needed it; and, an observant Warder would never need to be told by the AS to do any lying, they would simply realize the situation called for it. For example:

Townsfolk: What did you say your name was?

Warder: Her name is Ms. xxxx?

Townsfolk: Ah, ok Ms. xxxx, we have a room at our inn, etc.....

AS: Thank you.

And thus a lie is begun and allowed to perpetuate without the AS doing one bit of lying. Its really quite easy to spin the truth and to imply whatever you want. The media does this to us all the time....

For me, participating in the lying is unethical, but not lying. There is nothing about ethics in the Three Oaths.

This thread has me wondering, why is Moraine able to tell people that her name is something different, that is an obvious outright lie, yet she does it often? Or does she make Lan do the introductions, I forget, lol.

"You may call me Ms. X" pretty much suffices. You see Verin use this move as well (although technically she could lie but wouldn't want to reveal that!) when she tells the First Counsel in Far Madding to call her Eadwina

Archived