DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Fremen vs Aiel

paetric

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am on 2 but I bought a few in advance. It took me forever to read book 1 and this one is taking forever too. I think the problem is that he introduces new characters too quickly. Just when I feel like I know and care about the characters I am reading about, he switches to some other place with a largely different cast of characters.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PiotrekS

Hello! :smile:

I would hate to disappoint you Cindy - and I think it could be quite dangerous for me :wink:

I have in fact previously posted in this thread - page 1 or 2 I think. My main point was that I really love Dune and highly recommend it to everybody.

If we're discussing whether the Aiel are an insolent rip-off of the Fremen, my opinion is the following: rip-off probably yes, insolent - not very much.

First of all, the Fremen themselves were very heavily inspired by the historical Arab tribes. Religiously motivated, fanatical desert warriors - it definitely rings the bell. It even showed in their language, names (c'mon, Muad'Dib, Shaitan etc.).There was a lot of originality to them of course (whole Water of Life stuff). The idea that "God placed his faithful in harsh land to test and harden them for their mission" is also much older than Dune.

WOT is not the most original of all the fantasy works, I've always thought so. It rehashes lots of well-known tropes, motives and stories. It's one of its strenths btw- it gives younger readers a chance to acquaint themselves with some stories in a form that is more accessible for them. In that it is similar to Tolkien, tough IMHO that form gets simpler and simpler as the time goes by.

There is undoubtedly Fremen influence on the Aiel (it is further reinforced by the fact that there is definite influence of Bene Gesserit on Aes Sedai and Paul Muad'Dib on Rand). But the tropes are universal and hardly specific to Dune alone, so I wouldn't be too outraged on RJ for inspiring himself also from Dune. Probably it would be better if he ackonwledged the inspiration and influence though.

It would be very interesting to discuss Aes Sedai - Bene Gesserit and especially Rand Al'Thor - Paul Atreides :smile:

Since I've read somewhere that BT is interested in computer games, let it be noted that Dune and Dune 2 were ones of the best computer games of their time, very original and innovative. Dune (1992) had fantastic atmosphere, really capturing the mystical, mysterious and tense feel of the book.

And that's a nice Dune music video, using footage from the mini-series which was pretty good imho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceZM8suOrbU

Archived