DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aes Sedai Bonded!

Ratatatpat

You see, this is not the same bond the AS used for Warders, and that has a little Compulsion in it.

This bond the AM create was a very simple one, and they only worked on being able to maintain a connection that will make them know how the other feels like.

They did it so they could know the ones they love are OK. I don't see why they should just add some extra Compulsion in the mix. They are not AS.

This was not a warder bond, it was a 'love bond'.

When the AS tried to kill them, they just added some Compulsion to keep them from doing something they'll both regret, so the that bond is a 'tough love bond', or a 'love bond 2.0 for AS operating systems'. Easy as pi.

But we know per RJ that's not how it happened. Also the compulsion aspect is much stronger than the ones AS use. They have been experimenting with different things they can do with the bond(also note they would have no one else to experiment on besides their wives), so they have been working on much more than a "simple bond". They didn't just add it all of a sudden to deal with AS.

Bela the Horse from Tel'aran'rhiod: What was the "extra bit" in The Path of Daggers? Was it the kiss or the bonding? Please help settle this long-standing dispute.

RJ: The kiss is necessary, because that's how they learned to do it, because that's how the fellow that developed it did it. The extra bit is something in the bonding, and you'll find out what in Winter's Heart. You should have gotten a clue, I think, in the scene where the bonding took place.

Crossroads of Twilight book tour 28 January 2003 - Edmonton, Alberta

Q: Is it possible for an Aes Sedai to bond someone Asha'man style?

RJ: Yes, if they learned the weaves. The Asha'man know a lot more about bonding than the Aes Sedai. Some guy figured out how to bond their wives, and then they started concentrating on other things they could do with the bond. The Aes Sedai never experimented, just passed on what they knew.

Is there a specific quote that states that they only used it on the wives or that they forced them in any way through the bond?

From what I understood from that Q&A from Alberta, they first did it for the wives, kiss and all, and only later that dude that figured it out tried to upgrade it, but I think they did it on other people, because they can't just lift the bond they put on the wives at first and do it again with the compulsion/control upgrade.

As to the AS, I don't think they are so far behind with the research. They seem to have some very specific ideas about it:

Why don't we just stick to the quote. RJ says very clearly "The Asha'man know a lot more about bonding than the Aes Sedai". As for the experimenting it says "then they(as in multiple) started concentrating on other things they could do with the bond. You would not need to lift the bond to alter it, and I'm not sure who else they would have practiced on. Are they roaming the countryside trying it on random women? Do they have captives before the AS they are using? No...the wives are pretty much the only realistic option for this type of thing. Especially considering that is what's mentioned in the quote.

This is your argument, Suttree. You attempt to use RJ's quote to say that Asha'Man experimented with bond compulsion on their wives. All RJ's actual quote proves is that they experimented with the bond more than Aes Sedai do. If you really want to stretch it you can say that it implies they did, but it in no way confirms anything.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You see, this is not the same bond the AS used for Warders, and that has a little Compulsion in it.

This bond the AM create was a very simple one, and they only worked on being able to maintain a connection that will make them know how the other feels like.

They did it so they could know the ones they love are OK. I don't see why they should just add some extra Compulsion in the mix. They are not AS.

This was not a warder bond, it was a 'love bond'.

When the AS tried to kill them, they just added some Compulsion to keep them from doing something they'll both regret, so the that bond is a 'tough love bond', or a 'love bond 2.0 for AS operating systems'. Easy as pi.

But we know per RJ that's not how it happened. Also the compulsion aspect is much stronger than the ones AS use. They have been experimenting with different things they can do with the bond(also note they would have no one else to experiment on besides their wives), so they have been working on much more than a "simple bond". They didn't just add it all of a sudden to deal with AS.

Bela the Horse from Tel'aran'rhiod: What was the "extra bit" in The Path of Daggers? Was it the kiss or the bonding? Please help settle this long-standing dispute.

RJ: The kiss is necessary, because that's how they learned to do it, because that's how the fellow that developed it did it. The extra bit is something in the bonding, and you'll find out what in Winter's Heart. You should have gotten a clue, I think, in the scene where the bonding took place.

RJ: Yes, if they learned the weaves. The Asha'man know a lot more about bonding than the Aes Sedai. Some guy figured out how to bond their wives, and then they started concentrating on other things they could do with the bond. The Aes Sedai never experimented, just passed on what they knew.

Is there a specific quote that states that they only used it on the wives or that they forced them in any way through the bond?

From what I understood from that Q&A from Alberta, they first did it for the wives, kiss and all, and only later that dude that figured it out tried to upgrade it, but I think they did it on other people, because they can't just lift the bond they put on the wives at first and do it again with the compulsion/control upgrade.

As to the AS, I don't think they are so far behind with the research. They seem to have some very specific ideas about it:

Why don't we just stick to the quote. RJ says very clearly "The Asha'man know a lot more about bonding than the Aes Sedai". As for the experimenting it says "then they(as in multiple) started concentrating on other things they could do with the bond. You would not need to lift the bond to alter it, and I'm not sure who else they would have practiced on. Are they roaming the countryside trying it on random women? Do they have captives before the AS they are using? No...the wives are pretty much the only realistic option for this type of thing. Especially considering that is what's mentioned in the quote.

This is your argument, Suttree. You attempt to use RJ's quote to say that Asha'Man experimented with bond compulsion on their wives. All RJ's actual quote proves is that they experimented with the bond more than Aes Sedai do. If you really want to stretch it you can say that it implies they did, but it in no way confirms anything.

Ok this is getting a little weird. Why do you keep trying to tell me what my argument is? For the third time now I am letting you know you have misconstrued the main point of what i was discussing. You do realize this section you just provided came a full three days after the post above where I made my original point? Care to tell me how I was originally arguing something that didn't even get mentioned until three days later? Notice how that last quote I provided in #122 supports my original post #67 and then quotes Randsc mentioning the "extra bit", saying nothing about wives. Can I be anymore clear? The reason RJ's quote, as you so astutely pointed out in post #123, has nothing to do with wives is because that isn't what Randsc and I were discussing!

In addition with the most recent piece you provided I was discussing primarily with Aiel how Ashaman know way more about bonding than the AS. Notice what I bolded refers to how much more the Ashaman know & that AS never experimented. The whole wives thing was just a tacked on side point. Since you have been so far off base why don't you let me tell you what I am arguing with Randsc and Aiel.

1. The "extra bit" in the bond is compulsion not the "sexual reaction"

Knife of Dreams book tour 30 October 2005 - Emma reporting

Q: How is the bond the Asha'man use different than the Warder bond of the Aes Sedai?

RJ: The bond is different because it contains that Extra Bit about obedience. Aes Sedai bound to Asha'man are compelled to comply with the demands of the men. While Aes Sedai can do this to their Warders, it requires work each time.

&

"I could have done without the extra bit," [...] "yet I suppose it is necessary. You're hardly a wife."

2. Ashaman know far more about the bond than AS. They have experimented widely and found different things it can do.

Now since you are so focused on the wives part we can touch on that. We know that is how they learned the bond in the first place. It stands to reason that is who they experimented on, since that is what's mentioned in the quote. If you have other realistic options I would like to hear them.

Archived