DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Siren's Call (Pt2: Returning for Talyn)

Matalina

Lila had agreed to keep the children today. And bring them back to the inn for dinner. And Cari would try to talk Fawne into joining them, provided she could find the girl.

The Siren's Call was as she remembered it and Cari was not at all looking forward to being here, but this was Fawne's home and Cari knew she'd show up here eventually. Cari only hoped she would not run into Alex's lover, Elia. That was a highly sore spot still in her moving on. Alex had, why couldn't she. Cari sighed as she took a seat.

No one would recognize the former warder unless they knew Matalina well. And those people were few and far between, and most of them were long gone from the tower now. Reikan being the only one who'd probably remember the scar that ran down her back. But even the small chance someone would remember it, Cari didn't cover it up. She wore a saphire blue backless shirt that would show off the tattoos and the scar. Her skirt was made of black linen, cool enough but long enough to keep her warm, and disguise her graceful walk as that of a woman instead of a former Warder or a lady good with a sword at the very least.

Cari ordered glass of water and some portige while she waited for Fawne. It was still early in the morning and Cari's stomach was rumbling. The children were still sleeply in bed, they would eat when Lila woke them.

Cari

The baby chirred and smiled as Fawne’s finger traced her lips and tipped her nose. Alexis was a beautiful little baby with big eyes and pouty lips. Just a few weeks old now, she had grown and become even more delightful than when Fawne had first laid eyes on her. Elia was in the other room, fast asleep after she had been up most of the night, Fawne had offered to take care of Alexis while she slept and smiled as the little one slowly fell asleep herself. This was the time for Fawne to take a break from babysitting and have herself some breakfast.

She went down and walked straight into the kitchen to get some bread and an apple, when Maggie Mae came in and walked straight up to her. Fawne looked up at her and placed the apple back, “I’m sorry, you need this one right?†she said apologetically and Maggie Mae shook her head. “No dear, there is someone in the common room I think you should see,†Fawne stared at her and wondered who she meant. Since she had come back from Cairhien and her mother had left, Fawne had lived in the Sirens Call with the pregnant Elia. A few weeks ago, Elia had given birth to her and Alex’ baby, named Alexis and they had chosen to stay in the inn. From time to time, Fawne would help out with chores and Elia paid for the rooms they stayed in, even though this was not a short stay like most customers but almost like their own house.

Fawne took a bite from the apple and left the bread on her plate for later as she headed into the common room where her eye immediately caught the woman Maggie Mae indicated. It was her mother, Matalina, Cari or whichever name she went by now. Fawne was torn between running over there and hugging her mother and staying behind the bar, standing and watching the sudden appearance of her mother. They had been apart for a few months now and she knew that her mother was not staying in Tar Valon. So why had she come? Was she planning to take Fawne with her, back to the Ranch in Cairhien? Fawne swallowed a chunk of apple and then walked over to the table, slowly and a bit hesitatant when the woman turned and faced her, smiling warmly. She looked healthy, she looked warm and she looked like her mother so Fawne dropped the apple from her hand and swung her arms around Cari’s neck. “Mom,†she whispered and kissed the woman’s neck as she was hugging her tight.

Fawne Namere

Child of Alex and Matalina

Cari was glad the reception had been warm when Fawne had walked into the common room. Cari held the young girl, no she was slowly becoming a woman, and probably too soon for her own good. Cari had done the same thing, a year earlier. Cari had not been a child long under the guidance of her caretaker, and Cari frowned at the thought she'd not been a good mother to Fawne.

Cari asked Fawne to sit down at least for a short time. The girl sat down and Cari took a sip of her water. "I'm in town to get Talyn for his grandfather. You remember Master Nathan?" It was a retorical question. "Talyn was killed in a training accident in the yards, and his parents wish for a proper burial at home. So they sent me here." Cari smiled. "The twins decided they were coming with me." Before Fawne could look around, "They are still sleeping, but we'd like you to join us for dinner at the Servant's Sword if you could tonight. We'll be here another day, then we'll leave come first light."

Cari put a hand on her daughter's, "I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer, but this particular matter really can't wait too long." Death waited for no one, and decay waited for nothing.

Cari

Fawne listened to the stories of her mother about how the twins had grown up and how different guests had found a place to stay in the Ranch. She did not mention Alex and neither did Fawne. It was more important to be happy that her mother was here, than to share the grief of losing her father. Though, as her mother rose to go back to her other children, after making Fawne promise several times over that she’d be there for dinner, Fawne had to ask.

“Mom, do you still visit dad’s grave, in Cairhien?†it was as if the sentence had triggered something because right then the baby started to cry. Fawne watched her mother’s face for a reaction and waited to get it, before she would tend to the baby. She did not see the surprise on Cari’s face, only waited for the answer. Fawne had not realized how Cari would react to Elia’s baby, born from the same father but from a different love, all she saw was that her mother was here, from far away in Cairhien where her father was laid to rest.

Fawne Namere

The persistent sound of crying cut through the dreamless sleep, dragging Elia back to conciousness even though she did not wish it. Alexis was a beautiful baby, but she had not yet slept for more than an hour at a time, and the once-Commander was having to take her own sleep in similar shifts.

Fawne must have been taking a break. It was entirely understandable - she was only a girl, after all, and couldn't be expected to raise a baby on her own.

Sometimes it made things very difficult, because all she could think about was how much she wished Alex was with them.

Wandering over into the other room, Elia picked up her daughter and rocked her gently on her shoulder, quieting the crying almost immediately.

"Time for me to get up anyway, isn't it?" She was starting to feel thirsty, and no doubt Alexis would soon too.

Padding down into the common room, still rocking Alexis on her shoulder, Elia asked for a glass of water and offered a smile over in Fawne's direction while she waited.

~Elia Darnel

Tower Guard on-leave

Cari watched as Fawne was a bit anxious, the baby was clearly important to her but she wanted an answer. Cari sighed but she didn't lie. "I don't visit as often as I should. I do visit when I'm out that way." Cari smiled softly as Elia looked over at them. Inside Cari wanted to run away and go back home. She still couldn't stand the fact that Alex had loved another. It still ate her up inside and she seriously felt the need to get over Alexander Namere.

"I did make a headstone for him. It's just a simple rock with his name carved in it. Aiden and Kate thought a rock was better, look more natural." It had been their idea after all, but Cari wouldn't let Fawne know. Alex had been her life and she had not, Cari was hardly around for the girl at all, and that hurt her now more than she ever thought it was.

"Elia had her baby I see. It's a real shame Alex didn't get to hold either of you when you were so little."

Cari

A trace of pain and sadness passed over Cari’s face, Fawne noticed it and looked from her mother to the mother she had come to know as she lived here in Tar Valon. Elia was her stepmother and they were equally important to Fawne who hated to see either of them in sadness or pain. She walked over to Elian and stroked Alexis’ cheek before taking Elia by the hand and leading her to Cari.

“Elia, my mother is only going to be here for a day or two, I would like to spend some time with her,†at which Elia nodded, understanding and warm. Cari smiled softly, almost shy and Fawne smiled at both of them and then took Cari’s hand and brushed it sofly over Alexis’ who chirred in glee. “Cari, meet Alexis, the daughter of Elia and Alex and my little sister,†and she softly cuddled the little one who was eyeing the strange new person with big eyes. “We’re all family you know,†she told them and smiled at Cari and then at Elia.

“Now then, after formal introductions are over, maybe I can join you to see the twins?†she looked forward to seeing her brother and sister. She had such a great big family all of a sudden and looked forward to enjoying it to its fullest before they all had to part again.

Fawne

Cari wasn't sure she wanted much to do with the child of Alex's last mate. It was too much to handle but she stayed and was very glad Fawne had wanted to spend time with the twins. She smiled. "They are sleeping right now, Miss Lila is going to give them a tour of Tar Valon, while I run to the White Tower and retreive Talyn's things. Maybe you can help her look after the three of them." Cari watched as Fawne's eyes grew big as if she had yet another brother or sister. Cari smiled. "Talyn's little brother, Taylor, decided with the twins that they wanted to come to Tar Valon. He needed to get away from his parents."

Cari looked to Elia. "I have invited Fawne to come eat dinner with us at the Servant's Sword you and the baby are welcome to join us then as well." Cari wasn't sure she wanted her there, but she was Fawne's family and they mattered to Fawne. At that point Cari decided to worry about Demus, he wasn't her boyfriend or even her lover, but they were close friends. Cari let the thought go and waited for both of their answers. She wanted to get to the Tower and out before it got too late.

Cari

"No, no, that's alright. If you're only going to be here a few days, Fawne should spend time with you while she has the chance." Though she smiled sweetly, there was still a hint of a barb there. Matalina - no, Cari now - had given up her claim to Alex years past, and had abandoned her daughter to go haring off to Cairhien.

"Alexis can be fussy, too, I wouldn't want her disturbing your dinner." Yes, she was generally a well behaved baby, but too much noise and too many people could easily disturb her. It was difficult sometimes, keeping her from disturbing the patrons of the Siren's Call, but they seemed to be managing so far.

The tall woman smiled, though, hoping that she hadn't offended the once-Warder. Though she occasionally felt that Matalina should have been there for Fawne, and had blamed her for Alex's death for a few weeks - if the woman had not moved to Cairhien, Alex would not be buried where he was now - she was doing her best to hold no ill-will. Fawne was right, they were all family in a way. A big and rather complicated family, but family all the same, and Elia didn't want to cause any trouble for the girl. They were all three - no, four - of them connected by love for Alex, and that should have been the most important thing.

Cari wasn't surprised that she didn't take the offer, but she probably needed the free time. "Are you sure, I'm sure Miss Lila will glady take the baby while you eat. She's very good with babies, and I'm sure after having three nine year olds all day a child who's better mannered will be a joy." Cari still didn't want her there, but Fawne's happiness was always more important. Elia was her only real family and there was no point in ever trying to be more than a casual observer to her own daughter. Cari was sure that Elia and herself would disagree on what Cari had done, but Fawne was not a country girl nor did she belong on the Ranch. Besides the girl would propably resent her more for taking her than leaving her with Elia.

Cari knew she was a bad mother for Fawne and she'd done only a little better with Jeffery Kincaid, but that was another life time ago. Things were different, yet still the same, overly complicated and in some cases worse than they were before. Cari tried not to think on it as she pressed Elia into coming. "It would mean alot of if you joined us."

Cari

Not to you, I'm sure.

Elia nodded her acquiescence.

"If Fawne wishes it, I will join you for dinner, but I am more than willing to dine by myself so that she may spend some time with her mother."

The once-Commander had a deep dislike for all of the political manouverings that Tar Valon seemed to concern itself with - she preferred the sword to the word. Still, she could not duel Matalina, not least of all because she hadn't been practicing seriously for some time, so Elia would do her best to observe the pleasantries with Fawne's mother. Provided the girl did want her there - Elia hoped that she had not made Fawne uncomfortable, leaving the choice in her hands, but Fawne was old enough now to be able to decide and should know that Elia would take no offense. She had lost her own mother, after all - she wished now that she could have had one more day with her. She would understand if that was what Fawne wanted.

Fawne listened as the two women overflowed in friendliness and kind gestures, Cari invited Elia, Elia respectfully declined and finally the two of them left it up to her. Fawne had no clue what to do next, if she asked Elia to come for dinner, she might offend Cari in that she would not like to be alone with her birth mother. But if she declined the invite and told Elia that she would be alright, would Elia not be offended that Fawne would take up the daughter role for her real mother as soon as she appeared. They were both very important to her and really she did not want to chose. Overjoyed as she had been to see Cari return to Tar Valon first, now she was confused and miserable about the whole ordeal.

“I think that it would be lovely to have you both join for dinner, maybe I can go take a walk with Cari and see the children, I’m sure you could use the rest this afternoon. Then we can join up later in the inn, where Cari is staying?†Fawne was not sure if this compromise would be viewed as such by either woman, but this way she hoped not to offend either one. It would be good to spend the time with her mother and the twins, but she certainly did not want to drop her life and her stepmom for the woman who just appeared without any notice up front. Fawne understood that her mother kept secrets and respected that she could not join in those, but she did not understand why her mother kept her distance from her even when they were together. She walked over to Elia and kissed her on the cheek, see you later then Elia,†and then moved towards Cari to start moving out the door. This was a strange encounter and she would have to make the best of it.

Fawne Namere

Confuzzled

OOC: poor kid <hugs>

Cari was glad that Fawne had chosen as she had. But it was going to make her day a bit more difficult, but it was not a big deal, Fawne could stay with the twins and Lila and give them a grand tour of the city. "We will see you at dinner then."

Cari followed Fawne to the door. "The twins were sleeping last I had seen them. I'm surprised Taylor hadn't woke them up yet."

The silence as they walked was highly awkward, Cari wasn't sure how much affection to show her daughter. But in the end drapped an arm around her shoulders. "How have you been since I last saw you?" She wondered if the topic of Alex would once again come up and who in front of it might happen. Cari wasn't sure she wanted Demus to know her dead ex-lover was buried in the rose bush he'd been to during some of his training.

Cari