DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Book Discussion: Catcher in the Rye

Maria

*snort*

Good reference, Ben!

I loved this book as a teenager. As an adult, not so much - I guess that the maelstrom of emotions I was going through as a high school sophomore and junior had calmed down by the time that I read the book again.

Salinger's comments on conformity fall a little flatter in the 21st century, where ethnic, gender, and personality diversity are greatly increased in the "successful" classes to which Holden aspires.

I still can't believe that Holden either can't read or doesn't care about the "signals" he's getting from others. As a teen, I thought he was righteous. Now, I tend to view him through my filters of experience as more than a bit selfish.

Or, maybe I've become one of the "phonies", after all. :)

I started this book but it drove me absolutely batty so I never bothered to finish it. The whole way the book is written, the language (not the cursing and all that but), it's all just very annoying. I might feel different about it if I ever finish it, but so far I'm not very impressed.

Guest Karana Majin

I too, enjoyed this a teen, but less so as an adult. I still enjoyed it, but it was different. I like reading how different, and yet the same, certain things were in the 1950s (?) than they are today.

I think Holden is a great character.

This was the only one of the "classics" I was forced to read in my American Literature class in High School that I actually liked at the time. Now? It's not as good as I remember it, though Holden remains a defining character in twentieth century fiction.

It *is* an interesting novel, though oft-imitated, making it feel somewhat stale the more books one reads.

Archived