DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

More Travel Advice

So, my mom and I are traveling to Athens, Rome, Venice and Bolzano during semana santa (Holy Week I guess is it's English name lol). So far, our itenerary is as follows:

April 15: travel/recover from jet lag upon arriving in Athens at about 4pm (I may be coming from Madrid but the bus leaves Granada at 1am ugh)

April 16: Begin exploring the city/continue recovering from Jet Lag

April 17: Island hop tour of three of Greece's most popular islands (can't remember names of the top of my head)

April 18: museum day as if I remember correctly, they'll be free on this day!

April 19: travel from Athens to Rome, find Rome hotel, roam around Rome

April 20: travel from Rome to Venice/begin exploring Venice

April 21: something in Venice..visit glass making island (again with the names sorry!...Murano?)

April 22: Travel from Venice to Bolzano to go hiking in the mountains

April 23: Travel from Bolzano to Rome airport and then me to Madrid and mom back to good ol' Missouri (and she has an overnight layover in Paris that she doesn't know what exactly to do about and doesn't really want to stay in the airport)

Any must see places for us? Mom really wants to see castles, mountains and beaches, so I think I helped her pick good cities for those things. She'd also like to see a little bit of Biblical history if possible.

If you can book hotels in advance, I would recommend that you do so.

Use websites such as OnHotel and Expedia. It will make things a lot easier. I will put a bit more detail in another post as I should be working! lol!

Oh, I failed to mention that we are already working on that. hotel in Athens has already been paid for, and we have already booked our night in Rome, almost done booking our night in Venice (just waiting for confirmation), and then the last order of business is to book the hotel in Bolzano

in Athens you cannot miss The Acropolis. I love this site and it towers over Athens reminding all of it's history. It's right in the centre of the city, so hopefully not too much travelling to do. If it's beaches, there are some paying ones in the area of Glyfada, again within the city of Athens.

acropolis.jpg

- Rialto Bridge, which is usually busy with tourists!

- St. Mark's Basilica

- Palazzo Ducale (or Doge's Palace)

If you can get to Murano, do so! The glasswork is amazing.

In general, Venice is quite a nice city to walk about and experience as it is so different to most cities.

And I'm sure we'll still get a good feel of the city without the guided tour, we just might miss out on some of the history huh? And that's where travel guide books come in handy huh?

Do you think there's a better time of day to see Rialto Bridge or is it pretty much always busy? I know in Rome the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps cleared out late at night and super early in the morning...I feel like it's about the same in most places?

*note to self* Must find journal specific to traveling hmmm

Gotcha

Okay and now, my mom and I have decided we're going to do some quick side stops in Italy...we're planning on a stop in Pisa on our way to Venice from Rome just to see the most obvious thing to see in Pisa. We're also thinking of stopping in Florence or Milan. I'm thinking it'll be easiest to stop in Florence after Pisa and then head on over to Venice...but if you had to pick, would you visit Florence or Milan? What would you do in that city with only a couple hour stay?

Well, mom and I decided on a stop in Milan long enough to go to the Duomo there and climb to the top of it!

Besides the Acropolis, what are some other things you all suggest to see in Athens? So far, this is what I've come up and I think I need it to be narrowed down some...:

April 15: Climb Mount Lycabettus for sunset view and dinner, despite the annoying thing called jet lag (mom's not gonna like me haha)

April 16: Acropolis, Acropolis Museum, Ancient Agora, Parthenon, Roman Agora, Thatre of Dionysos, kerameikos, Tower of the Winds, Temple of Olympian Zeus...initial research shows me we can get into all of these places for 12euros a piece, and maybe a visit to Temple of Poseidon at Sounion for sunset/dinner

April 17: cruise!

April 18: International Museum Day so visit some of the following museums for free: National Archaeological Museum, Byzantine and Christian Museum, Benaki Museum, and maybe visit the Athens Planetarium?

Suggestions? Eliminations? Additions? Am I insane?

I have only ever been to Athens for two day trips when we toured around Greece, so I won't be much help at all!

If I remember Athens correctly, a lot of the ancient sites are in a similar area. So you can probably get a lot of the sites around the Acropolis done in that day.

And I will be uber-jealous if you go to Sounuion!

I have only ever been to the National Archaeological Museum, which is worth a good morning to wonder around.

Be careful of pick-pockets on their underground system.

Mom wants to go to a beach and I figured what better to do than go to the temple at Sounioun! I was thinking the same thing about the ancient sites, and I've got a feeling mom will want to go to the byzantine museum...I'm not a huge huge museum fan so I figure I'll let her pick that out lol

And I'll def have to tell mom she can't carry her giant purse around and that she'll need to make good use of pockets and only cary what she needs, something I've gotten used to here in Spain!

Noted, and it'll be free that monday we're there so they'll all be more than worth the visit I'm sure! I personally would love to go to the Planetarium though...I've got a bit of a thing for Astronomy :)

Archived