DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

4th Age Prophecies

udpaco13

I have just started my full re-read and was shocked 1 page after the Prologue. There are two prophecies from unknown authors in the 4th age. I do not have my book with me, so I cannot provide a full quote but the first quote was from a book entitled Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora, The Breaking of the world. The second was named Charal Drianann te Calamon, The Cycle of the Dragon.

Fist off are there other prophecies from the 4th age? It seems like all the other prophecies have been from the past (Before/during the breaking, or from the AOL).

Do we have any clue as to what language they were written in, or by who? To me it looks like Ogre but I am not sure. We know Loyal is planning on writing a book on Rand. Could one of these have been that book? Has his book become the Karaethon Cycle in the next age?

Do these prophecies give any clues to whether or not the future Avi saw was true?

To me these prophecies seem to be very similar to other prophecies we seen. The Dragon will come and break the world and what not. What I found crazy was most prophecies reference the Dragon, but mean to LTT. These would most likely be referring to Rand.

I have just started my full re-read and was shocked 1 page after the Prologue. There are two prophecies from unknown authors in the 4th age. I do not have my book with me, so I cannot provide a full quote but the first quote was from a book entitled Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora, The Breaking of the world. The second was named Charal Drianann te Calamon, The Cycle of the Dragon.

Fist off are there other prophecies from the 4th age? It seems like all the other prophecies have been from the past (Before/during the breaking, or from the AOL).

Do we have any clue as to what language they were written in, or by who? To me it looks like Ogre but I am not sure. We know Loyal is planning on writing a book on Rand. Could one of these have been that book? Has his book become the Karaethon Cycle in the next age?

Do these prophecies give any clues to whether or not the future Avi saw was true?

To me these prophecies seem to be very similar to other prophecies we seen. The Dragon will come and break the world and what not. What I found crazy was most prophecies reference the Dragon, but mean to LTT. These would most likely be referring to Rand.

they are not prophecies but rather they recount the past.

And the Shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon.

—from Aleth nin Taerin alta Camora,

The Breaking of the World.

Author unknown, the Fourth Age

Note the past tense. none of the prophecies of the Dragon use past tense.

There is another one like that at the end of FoH.

And, of course, we do actually see a bit of Loial's book at the beginning of ToM, don't we? There are other 4th Age bits and pieces scattered through the books too, just can't remember them atm. Someone less lazy than me should really look them up, it'd be interesting to see them all together...

Actually, might just go check encyclopedia WoT.

Also, I always got the impression that the one quoted above about the Breaking was actually just about the Breaking in the AoL, as opposed to the prophecised breaking Rand is supposed to inflict on the world. Isn't it? Which really makes it being from the 4th Age rather redundent, apart from it being cool and all.

Also, I always got the impression that the one quoted above about the Breaking was actually just about the Breaking in the AoL, as opposed to the prophecised breaking Rand is supposed to inflict on the world. Isn't it? Which really makes it being from the 4th Age rather redundent, apart from it being cool and all.

ok, that's a good point. But there are some that are not redundant. There is one at the end of FoH as I mentioned above.

And the Glory of the Light did shine upon him.

And the Peace of the Light did he give men.

Binding nations to him. Making one of many.

Yet the shards of hearts did give wounds.

And what was once did come again

--in fire and in storm

splitting all in twain.

For his peace...

--for his peace...

...was the peace...

...was the peace...

...of the sword.

(from Glory of the Dragon, composed by Meane sol Ahell, the Fourth Age)

this definitely confirms that there will be a Peace of the Dragon regardless of whether Avi's visions in Rhuidean come to pass.

ok, that's a good point. But there are some that are not redundant. There is one at the end of FoH as I mentioned above.

--in fire and in storm

splitting all in twain.

For his peace...

--for his peace...

...was the peace...

...was the peace...

...of the sword.

this definitely confirms that there will be a Peace of the Dragon regardless of whether Avi's visions in Rhuidean come to pass.

Does it, though? I always regarded that as being about Rand's conquering of the nations - you know, providing peace by conquering. Just cos of the 'peace of the sword' part really, considering the Peace of the Dragon sounds like the complete opposite to that, for as long as it lasts anyway. But yeah actually I suppose it could be about the Peace of the Dragon, looking at it again. Damn cryptic crypticness.

And I discovered encyclopaedia WoT doesn't actually have a section for 4th Age stuff. Oh well.

I always regarded that as being about Rand's conquering of the nations - you know, providing peace by conquering. Just cos of the 'peace of the sword' part really, considering the Peace of the Dragon sounds like the complete opposite to that, for as long as it lasts anyway.

That's what we're supposed to think until Rand reveals his plan at the end. And the sword in question might be Justice.

--in fire and in storm

splitting all in twain.

For his peace...

--for his peace...

...was the peace...

...was the peace...

...of the sword.

Does it, though?

I'm certain it does. and as Terez said, Hawkwing's sword Justice (which Rand recently acquired) is definitely involved. there are other clues besides the above quote. There is a Dream of the Wise Ones of Rand cutting the wetlands in two with a sword. Given Avi's visions it's pretty clear now that there will be a peace of the Dragon and that the sword involved is Justice. Some (like Terez) think that Rand will even give it to Tuon as a kind of payment for the peace. I'm not sure on that one. at least I don't like to think that Tuon will have to be bought in some fashion. she ought to come around to the right side of things without that.

More as a token of goodwill than a payment. Try not to make things that I say into something you don't like when there are other options. :wink:

okay okay, a token of goodwill is fine. you do say that Justice would make a good bargaining chip in your article about it.

Archived