DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

LT instead of Rand

Cyrus_OLeary

Mmmm. I can see merit in both theories. Personally, I am undecided. Both would be perfectly fine with me.

One thing that a lot of real'ers miss is that Semirhage said Rand was hearing Lews Therin's voice because he was insane.

This is a good point. It brings up important things.

From this we can say that this voice was taint-induced.

So, one could say that the taint reduced the barriers between Rands past life, and as a coping mechanisim, he created the voice.

On the other hand, however, one could equally say that the taint helped "split"(i use the term loosely) the two facets of Rand's soul.

I wont repeat other arguements, they have been said much better than i could, but i would like to bring to attention one more point.

What do we make of the scene in Algarin's mannor in KoD, when the voice of Lews Therin allegedly takes control of Rand's body?

The way the scene is written, it seems clear that Rand is totally out of control. The voice is going against his own wishes. Now, it is one thing to construct the voice to cope with the memories he is remembering, certainly it is very understandable. However, could the construct be so complex as to actually take over Rand's "normal" conciousness?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mmmm. I can see merit in both theories. Personally, I am undecided. Both would be perfectly fine with me.

One thing that a lot of real'ers miss is that Semirhage said Rand was hearing Lews Therin's voice because he was insane.

This is a good point. It brings up important things.

From this we can say that this voice was taint-induced.

So, one could say that the taint reduced the barriers between Rands past life, and as a coping mechanisim, he created the voice.

On the other hand, however, one could equally say that the taint helped "split"(i use the term loosely) the two facets of Rand's soul.

Actually, Semirhage basically confirms that hearing real voices is a naturally occuring phenomenon as Graendal's experience with mental patients is prior to the Taint. But as you pointed out, being Taint-induced or not doesn't make much difference to the argument.

I wont repeat other arguements, they have been said much better than i could, but i would like to bring to attention one more point.

What do we make of the scene in Algarin's mannor in KoD, when the voice of Lews Therin allegedly takes control of Rand's body?

The way the scene is written, it seems clear that Rand is totally out of control. The voice is going against his own wishes. Now, it is one thing to construct the voice to cope with the memories he is remembering, certainly it is very understandable. However, could the construct be so complex as to actually take over Rand's "normal" conciousness?

I feel you're sort of missing the point of the Constructive argument.

1) Rand was absolutedly insane (verified by Nynaeve).

2) The construct *is* Rand. It can do anything Rand can do. It just depends on who Rand thinks is doing the thinking/feeling/doing.

Archived