DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A momentous day! (Attn: Keyholder)

Sieve

Grisham had started the day in his usual way since coming to the yards. Morning exercises to build endurance then extensive practice of the sword forms he had been taught. He would work the forms 'til his arms felt like they would fall off. He took his customary meal but today would be different for Grisham for this day he would be raised to a Tower Guard. It was to be a momentous day, the anticipation of this day's events had made for a restless night. Even so Grisham felt awake and full of vigor.

As Grisham ate he reflected on his childhood and the path that led him to the White Tower. At times it struck him as odd that he was training here though he felt as if he belonged. He had a renewed purpose for life. He would not be an insigificant drunkard like his father. He would be a man, a man that commanded respect. He would be a warder. Grisham had seen several Aes Sedai visiting the yards watching prospective warders train. Hopefully he had managed to catch the eye of a few. If not then there was still time do so. There were still more lessons which he needed before he wold be deemed ready.

Mechanically he wiped the bowl with a piece of bread then frowned when he realized the bowl had been wiped clean. He felt as if he could eat another bowl of the fruit filled porridge though he refrained. He needed to fit into his best tunic. All the training had done nothing to make his body leaner. He was definately stronger, more muscular though he was just as stocky if not more so since coming to the yards. Grisham grabbed an apple which he ate as he made his way to his Barracks.

As he approached the barracks he saw a Sergeant of the Tower Guard standing by the doorway. The tall uniformed man shielded his eyes from the sun as one of the trainees pointed at Grisham. As Grisham approached the Sergeant bellowed "Better hurry lad, don't want to keep the Commander waiting." He was late! He stared blankly at the Sergeant. "Hurry along now!" The Sergeant's voice grew louder. Grisham uttered an oath as he threw the apple core on the ground. He ran into the barracks yelling over his shoulder telling the Sergeant informing him that he would be ready in a moment.

Grisham was in such a hurry that he almost strapped on his sword belt. You must go unarmed you fool he chided himself as he tossed the sword belt down. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead as he continued dressing. With the last button done, he wiped his brow then made his way for the door. He half fell through the door into the courtyard for which he received a glare from the Sergeant. "Easy lad!" the Sergeant spoke "clam yourself, try to carry yourself as a Tower Guard!" "Yes Sergeant!" Grisham responded then tugged on his tunic to make sure it was straight before following the Sergeant toward the Glade of Remembrance.

Grisham Elmaren

Soon to be Tower Guard

The walk to the glade was short yet it seemed eternal as he continued to reflect on his childhood and adolescence. He had come far in a relatively short time. His days as a trainee had taught him much though he knew he still had a lot to learn. His journey was about to take a new path, one that would bring him closer to his destiny. He stood straighter with his head held high as he entered the glade.

The Glade of Remembrance was small, surrounded by large oaks and cone-shaped conifers that blocked much of the light. Despite its modest size, it was an auspicious place. This hallowed ground had been used time and again for ceremonial purposes as well as personal reflection. Grisham spotted the small crowd gathered around the stone slab. A divine light seemed to fill the area where the stone sat like an island amidst a vast sea.

A wave of nervousness struck him causing Grisham to seek the void. No he chastised himself, it would not be right he thought to use the void, to dull his emotions. He wanted to experience this moment, feel the raw emotions of the occasion. He let the void slip away instead he focused his attention on the ominous stone slab and what he was required to say.

"I come here unarmed, offering to give myself to the defense of those who serve all." He uttered the words in a strong deep voice that belied what he felt inside.

The Commander's voice pierced the air "Who would speak for you?"

Jaks, his friend raised to Tower Guard just six months prior replied. "I would speak for him, he is fit."

The Commander continued the ceremony asking "Who would trust you?"

Grisham glanced quickly to the left of the Commander as he had no affiliations with any Aes Sedai therefore he had no idea as to who would speak on his behalf.

Grisham Elmaren

Soon to be Tower Guard

Miahna shoved something resembling food into her mouth as she read over the passage again. According to The Ways of the Dark it had been over a century since this ritual had been used, but the Blue could swear she saw the makings of it when she had ridden through Aringill. She’d have stayed to check it out, but a summons from the First Selector was not to be ignored, especially when the woman had probably needed to track Mimi down in the first place. Thus, she’d ran through the smallish city, making plans to return when she left the Tower next. Perhaps it wouldn’t be a fruitless chase like the one in Baerlon. That still got her goat to think of it. She’d left Saldaea after capturing an entire circle of blasted darkfriends, only to find herself chasing lunatics in Baerlon. They had been crazy, but unfortunately not darkfriends.

Shoving the plate away from her, Mimi opened a drawer to make a note about the ritual, when a knock sounded at her door. Wiping her mouth with the linen napkin, she called for the person to enter. A flame haired girl in novice white opened the door slowly, looking around as she did so. Upon seeing Miahna at the desk, she started and then visibly gathered her courage. Light! Am I that imposing? Tamela would be proud. Nodding at the girl, Mimi’s eyes followed her as she walked slowly across the carpet to hand her a folded note. It was a heavy parchment; one could not see the ink through it.

The novice dropped it into Miahna’s outstretched hand and then retracted back to stare at her fearfully. The Blue cocked an eyebrow, but she dismissed the girl without a word. I suppose there are worse things; she could think of me as her friend…or pillowfriend even! Setting all her lunch stuff to the side, she grabbed the note and flipped it open. Another demand from the First Selector, and before the woman had even come to see her! Gritting her teeth, Mimi groaned and rolled her eyes. This bloody game of politics was the reason she rarely came back in the first place! Sighing, she decided to attend the ceremony and speak for the man; the note even said she didn’t have to know him as someone in the Ajah did. Apparently that was trust enough. Call her a cynic, but Miahna didn’t count anyone as unsuspicious unless she checked them out herself.

Nonetheless, she would do what she had to while she was here. It wouldn’t be a terrible thing to get out into the open air anyway. She’d spent the past few days traveling hard, and then the last two doing research. She would probably need to say hello to Regalia and a few others sometime soon too. Looking down, she checked her dress for appropriateness and then strode out of the room, letter in hand.

Due to her long and regular absences, Miahna had never been to the Glade of Remembrance, nor to a ceremony for a Tower Guard. She supposed other Aes Sedai frequented the ceremony, hovering around for a Warder, but Mimi was not going to force that issue. She could handle herself for now; she didn’t need to get another Warder killed. Besides, didn’t that scream of desperation? Hopefully it was just the young ones that hovered… Nonetheless, she thought as she pushed aside a long swooping tree branch, it was a beautiful place.

Glancing at the note again, Mimi memorized what she needed to say and when. It was a fairly simple ceremony. She was pleased when it began promptly.

"I come here unarmed, offering to give myself to the defense of those who serve all." He uttered the words in a strong deep voice that belied what he felt inside.

The Commander's voice pierced the air "Who would speak for you?"

Another man, garbed in Tower Guard attire replied. "I would speak for him, he is fit."

The Commander continued the ceremony asking "Who would trust you?"

He glanced quickly to the left of the Commander, probably wondering who would speak for him. Mimi stepped for behind a shade of trees and performed her part. The Commander questioned the man, and then turned to face her.

"Who would trust you?"

She cleared her throat and then spoke in a firm voice, "I would trust him."

There was another question involving the other guard, and then the Commander was facing her again. "Who would witness your oath whose word is beyond question?"

This time she nodded, dark blue eyes piercing the new guards eyes. "I will,” she stated in answer, her gaze suggesting to him that she would hunt him down if he ever went back on that word. And she would. That's what she did.

Edited by keyholder21

Grisham did not recognize the Aes Sedai that spoke for him. Then again he only knew a handful of Aes Sedai enough for them to speak on his behalf, none of which could attend the ceremony. Aside from that he recognized only a dozen other Aes Sedai just from their frequent visits to the yards either watching their warders train or seeking one to bond. Had he not been so nervous he might have thought on the irony of this part of the ceremony.

Another question was asked and he heard Jaks voice in reply though the words were lost on him.

"Who would witness your oath whose word is beyond question?" This time he heard Commander Mia's words clearly then waited to see who would respond.

Apparently it was the Aes Sedai's turn to speak for him again. She nodded, her dark blue eyes piercing his. "I will” Her firm voice replied gripping him like a vise. He felt as if she were looking deep into his soul gauging his worth. Light, were all Aes Sedai taught that look? He could do nothing but continue to meet her eyes until she she was finished with her assessment or until the Commander spoke again giving him reason to break contact.

It felt like an eternity before the Commander's voice rang out again.

Commander Mia spoke clearly seeming to emphasize each word "Do you understand that once pledged you are forever bound to a rule of defense? Defense of all Aes Sedai, the defence of the White Tower?"

"Do you understand that once pledged you are forever bound to a rule of obedience? Obedience to your officers, obedience to all Aes Sedai?"

"Do you understand that once pledged you are forever bound to a rule of commitment? Commitment to serving faithfully, commitment despite any adversity?"

Grisham replied yes after each of the Commander's questions feeling the weight of the immense duty he was agreeing to.

Commander Mia gave the order "Then give your oath now."

Grisham spoke loud and firm, his deep gruff voice filling the glade "I swear by the light and my hope of salvation and rebirth, as a Tower Guard to defend the White Tower and all who call it home."

"I swear by the light and my hope of salvation and rebirth, as a Tower Guard to serve faithfully for as long as the White Tower requires me."

"I swear by the light and my hope of salvation and rebirth, as a Tower Guard to fight the shadow and uphold the light until my dying day." Grisham made certain all his words were clear and precise.

Commander Mia nodded then spoke aloud "We welcome you to the Tower Guard, you that were known once as Grisham Elmaren of Far Madding." The blue-eyed Aes Sedai glided forward with a regal bearing the likes of which he had never seen before. She had the crimson cloak of the Tower Guard in hand. She placed it on Grisham, fixing the clasp. Grisham nodded respectfully to the Aes Sedai who still seemed to be unsure of his character. Unsure whether or not he was worthy of serving the White Tower and her sisters.

"We welcome you as Grisham Elmaren of the Tower Guard, our brother in arms. Rise and stand as one among many." The Commander spoke. Grisham rose as Jaks stepped forward presenting Grisham with a long beautifully crafted dagger.

"You came to us unarmed, and as our mark of trust we place this steel in your hand. May you keep it as a symbol of the trust that has been placed in you, and may it serve you well." Grisham nodded to Jaks and his friend flashed a smile.

The Commander walked around the stone slab to the right and approached Grisham placing her left hand on his left shoulder before speaking. "Spare a moment for those who have come before you and to who you have become, as shall those who follow you." After speaking the words that concluded the ceremony, Commander Mia led the others from the glade leaving Grisham to his thoughts...