• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

I think you have to be a natural born citizen though

Zander is there any way we can re-birth you in Murica?

Obama was from like Kenya or Indonesia or something and Arnie from Europe, I should be ok!!!!

lololololol

Arnie didn't go for POTUS though.

G20 was hosted in Pittsburgh one year and we didn't have anything like what went on this past week, but people still rioted.  The Boston Market across the street from my house got smashed up and looted, and it's a good 20 minute walk from where the meetings took place.  Most of the protestors came in from all over the country.  There was obviously some local involvement, but not the majority of them.

It's a weird topic of descent from my POV, probably because the Right here is simultaneously the most pro-globalization and the most anti-globalization.  Their policies are populist/propaganda-driven and frequently contradict on the level of basic objective let alone means to get there.  The idea of a left-driven riot in response to globalization is just weird to me.

Edited by Shad_

You know, I think the word "populist" is absoutely disgusting. It's basically another way of saying "democratic" as populist means nothing else than just "saying what the people want to hear", which is the whole idea of democracy; saying what the people want to hear and then acting on it. It's nothing but a word used to put certain people away as "wrong", not because what they say, but because of their political alignment (ever heard of a left-wing populist?).

Good to hear a different voice though. I tend to only hear right-wing things because the mainstream media (which are left-wing) are just extremely biased and just don't honestly bring the news, so I only have a kinda-right-wing-kinda-anti-everything blog for my news, and in the family it's basically the same for others too, so I don't hear a lot of people that are left-wing but level-headed.

So we're bombarded with messages like "you should vote to eliminate health care subsidies because non-white people benefit from them" and the Right's voter base flocks to that even though the majority of people it will negatively impact are among them.  Tribalism.

The so-called "left" here is mainly just an opposition party with wildly varying views.  It's an educational divide above all else.  People who buy into propaganda vs people who don't.

That's why we were willing to accept Hillary Clinton even though Bernie Sanders was the most popular candidate of 2016 by a huge margin.  We don't like her but at least she's going to offer a rational quid pro quo for the working class vs taking away what little we have and supplementing it with the good feels of scapegoats.

Ultimately I just want to get the hell out of this country.  We're going to have to move when it's time for our kids to go to school.  There's no getting around that.  My wife is reluctant because she's close to her family, and we're both reluctant because it's good for our kids to have grandma and grandpa next door, but we have to go sooner or later.